Cave Tubing... Our Experience + Photos

ISKI4FN

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Since I received so much great advice prior to our trip I want to give you an overview of our trip in hopes that it might help some of you.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]First let me say that our cave tubing trip was fantastic! After reading many reviews we decided to go with Went-N-Wild. We took our family of 5 with kids ages 14, 12, and 10.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Our ship anchored over a mile away from Belize City. By the time our tender number was called it took an hour to arrive at the dock. We found Charlie (our guide) around the left side of the main building at the dock just beyond the venders. We then gathered the remainder of our group (19 in all) and boarded the bus. The 20 passenger bus seemed well maintained and provided a comfortable ride.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]The first 33 miles in the bus are on paved roads. The last 6 miles are on a rough dirt road. Charlie spent the entire ride with us talking about Belize. He told us a lot about the government, history, and geography. This was interesting for all of us to hear, especially the kids.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]We arrived at the cave system, were issued a tube, headlight, and life jacket and headed up the trail. You cross the river about a quarter mile into the trip. The water temperature is about 74 degrees. Not as warm as the ocean but very refreshing. The trail is not difficult. Teva style sandals are perfect for this hike – not flip flops. It took us the better part of an hour the make the hike. Charlie stopped at least 3 times to show us different features of the jungle. We saw the X-Stream group pass us as we had stopped to learn more about the mahogany trees.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]At the end of the trail we waited for a few minutes (for the X-Stream group) to get into the river. We were given the choice of jumping into the river from a height of about 15 feet or stepping in at the river’s bank. Being an adventurous group we jumped. As we floated through the caves Charlie took the time to point our various formations and points of interest. The whole experience amazing![/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]When we finished we were running a little late so we boarded quickly and headed for our lunch stop. About 10 miles form the caves we stopped at the local watering hole Amigos. They had a screen enclosed dining & bar area. Since we were running late they packed our lunch for us to eat on the bus. The chicken, rice & beans and coleslaw were delicious! All our kids loved the meal.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]We made it back well in time to shop for a few minutes and catch the tender back to the ship. Charlie was very aware of the time and wanted us to feel comfortable getting back to the ship. There was a long line for the tender and we were on the tender heading back about the time they told us the last tender would be. When we boarded the ship I overheard the security person say that there were still 300 guests and one crew member yet to board. It took along time to get everyone back.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Overall it was a great experience! There were a few mosquitos. I would wear bug repellant even though Charlie said we didn’t need it. There is a product called Sun Bug that is a sunscreen and bug repellant. That seems to work well and you don’t get much sun during the hike or the water portion. All of our children handled the trip with ease and had a great time.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]I would love to go back to Belize to see the Mayan ruins and do some snorkeling. I found the people warm and friendly and they all spoke English.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Here are some of my photos: [url="http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1075708"]http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1075708[/url][/size][/font]

[size=3][font=Times New Roman]Here is where we booked the trip: [url="http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/"]http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/[/url][/font][/size]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Enjoy![/size][/font]

None of the caves are small or tight. I would say that at the smallest point they are at least 10-15 feet high and 30 feet across.

It does get very dark in the middle but that is why they give you a head lamp.

No one around us seemed show any signs of claustrophobia.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for your review! We also had Charlie as our guide, but at the time he was filling in with Wet n Wild. I emailed Marvin and told him what an amazing guide he was and recommended he use him permanently! I am so glad to know that he is still leading tours. Your photos were great and let those of us who have been drift back and remember what an awesome experience it was to cave tube in Belize!

How long was the trip from the time you left the ship until you returned to the ship? We are going to Belize on the Grand Princess and we will be there from 1pm until 7pm. Not very long. I am debating whether to book and independent trip or a ship's excursion. I know the independent trip is superior, but I am worried about the 5 1/2 to 6 hour window.

[QUOTE]I'm a little nervous about cave tubing as I am slightly claustrophobic. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.[/QUOTE] I am extremely claustrophobic, but the caves did not bother me at all. They are quite big. What did bother me was the miners light that we were supposed to wear on our forehead... I just couldn't do that so I wore it around my neck & just grabbed it & pointed it to where I need to see. It worked out well.

It is a great excursion. We loved every second.

Archived