Question about cabin on Carnival Freedom/Conquest class ship

Dr_AK

My wife and I are booked on the Carnival Freedom at the end of this month for our anniversary. We are staying in an "inside" cabin located at the front of the ship that has a window with an obstructed view. We received a really good deal on the cabin but have never stayed in the very front of the ship. We're not really sure what to expect from this location and were wondering if anyone has stayed in one of these rooms on the Freedom or another Conquest class ship. Thanks for the help.

from http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=919166

We were just on the Valor in January and stayed on the Panorama deck in a 4G (1002) which was all the way forward. The cabin has a large window that faces an open deck. We absolutely loved this cabin. It was fantastic. It is a handicap accessible cabin. We were originally booked in another room and then this became available a few weeks before we sailed so I booked it. The bathroom was huge and the cabin itself was very roomy. My sisters both had balcony cabins on the same deck and my room was bigger. My room had 2 twins that converted to a king and an upper and sofa. The deck in the front was rarely used and we usually had it to ourselves. We never heard the anchor or horn once but we did hear the the treadmills in the morning, as the gym is directly above. The noise wasn't overwhelming. They were not loud enough to hear over the tv and it was not enough to ever deter me from booking that type of cabin again. I would highly recommend it!! Here are some pics:

attachment.php?attachmentid=105716&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234661267attachment.php?attachmentid=105717&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234661719attachment.php?attachmentid=105718&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234661970attachment.php?attachmentid=105719&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1234662208

also from that same thread:

I think the end cabins higher up are probably larger. It's the ones on Deck 6 & 7 that are configured like this.

Standing at the door - head of this bed is against the wall where the door is located. Bathroom door is across from this bed...

2540737300102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

2nd bed - note that the TV sticks out. If changed to a flat screen, there would be more room to maneuver...

2049281610102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

Large closet at end of bed 2 - it goes all the way back behind the closet with the shelves & safe...

2005352380102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

HC bathroom - no shelves other than inside the medicine cabinet on the right side of the sink - note the reflection of the hair dryer - 1 setting only & it was hot and powerful...

2225478270102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

Roll-in shower with fold-down seat - also had a Call Button in there...

2415367560102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

View from the window (over bed #2)...

2779297220102755439S500x500Q85.jpg

And something I've never seen on a cruise ship - a radio on the wall at the head of bed #1!

and from this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=999421&highlight=essiesmom

This has a regular sized window with a view of the large front deck and if you look over the rail you can see the water. These cabins have a bit less closet space (2 compartments instead of the usual 3) for hanging clothes. It also is much more prone to movement from the rocking seas. Also a longer walk to midship, lido buffet etc. We had one of these rooms on the Splendor on the lido deck and because of the increased rocking if the seas are high I don't think I would book another one.

I just got off the Splendor, cabin 7203, and I think it is one of the best kept secrets:

683016068307_0_ALB.jpg

983016068307_0_ALB.jpg

304016068307_0_ALB.jpg

I'm rather short (5'3") and the railing in front is solid, about neck height for me. Inside I could see the ocean, and whatever else might be out there...You can go out on the deck, but it is very windy when the ship is in motion. Speaking of motion, there was not as much as I expected...When the seas were rough, going north to Canada, it was not rockin' n rollin' I felt, but like the driver was hitting every pothole...

If you separate the beds, you either have a tiny space between with one night stand, or more space with both nightstands, but you can't access the window. EM

hey there, welcome to cruise critic! :)

here's my comments to another poster that asked me about similar rooms on the destiny at the front of the ship - they're set up pretty much the same, so the comments, and view, are comparable for your room.

Here's the details about your cabins:

Cabin 6104 4G OSTW 185 sq ft

Beds: twin/king

View: obstructed window - view to outdoor walkway

TV; telephone; 110 AC current; individual climate control; hair dryer; wall safe; 3-closets; shower; chair and coffee table.

Cabin 6106 4G OSTW 185 sq ft

Beds: 2 twins

View: obstructed window - view to outdoor walkway

TV; telephone; 110 AC current; individual climate control; hair dryer; wall safe; 3-closets; shower; chair and coffee table.

Note: Beds do not convert to King configuration

Note: Cabin is modified for wheelchair users

edit: wanted to add that even though it's the official line, i don't believe personally that is true - i think they're bigger.

So these are the 4G 'interior' rooms, which I think are an amazing value given the fact that they have a window (though you will see the solid metal rail at the front of the boat), and are immediately adjacent to the front observation deck / large balcony. They used to be classified as OVs but were recently changed. I've looked at these before and would consider one without hesitation.

You'll note 6106 is a modified handicap cabin, and the beds won't convert together. Since it's handicap accessible, you might get bumped if a handicapped cruiser needs it. Handicap accessible cabins have wider doors, and are set up to get around a little better - there's also typically not the 'step up' to the bathroom, and the shower should be handicap accessible too w/ grab bars and the like.

I loved the front of the ship, and would go out there frequently. Most people don't know that it's even there, hence the 'secret' doors - so it was very rare we'd ever see anybody out there, on any of the accessible decks.

Your right that the view will be exactly what the captain is seeing, and it's a pretty killer view - here's a view from the bridge of destiny, which is about the same you'll get:

destriny-bridge-to-bow.jpg

You can see the metal walls / wood handrails of the 2 decks below the bridge at the bottom of the pics - those are the 'secret' decks. So beware, don't do anything out there you wouldn't want the captain to see! :D

The doors to the decks will be port and starboard, at the ends of the hallway that runs across the front of the ship (your cabin's hallway).

Hope that helps :cool:

Thanks for all the information. We are looking forward to the cruise and the room. This will be my 5th cruise and my wife's 4th, all on Carnival, and we've had nothing but great experiences on the previous cruises.

I just returned from a cruise on Carnival Freedom May 17-23. I was booked in Cabin 1001 (Cat 4G). The cabin was on the Panorama deck as far forward as you could get. The cabin was WONDERFUL!!! It is classified as "interior" but has a window. The window looked out onto the deck. It was a little obstructed but still a very nice view. As stated by a previous poster, it is a handicap-accessible cabin therefore it is larger than a regular interior cabin.

Archived