Sharks????

LuvCruiser70

Cemetery Reef is highly recommend by many snorkelers on the internet but the Frommers article below concerns me:

it reads - "At Cemetery Reef we've seen shoals of parrotfish and sergeant major fish and even the elusive reef shark."

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/caymanislands/0177020831.html

Should sharks concern me?

Also ome snorkeling sites such as Wreck of the Geneva are described as "not for beginners." How do you know when you are ready try these sites?

Last year I snorkeled for first the time in Jamaica (in approx 20 feet of water). Since, I have beach snorkeled in Antigua in very shallow water. So I have snorkeled twice in my life, but I am not sure if I should consider myself a beginner, but I prefer to snorkel in calm waters. Any recommendations?

Please advise. Thanks in advance

Of course you could see a shark, but then you could see a shark anywhere in the ocean. But in all the diving I did around Grand Cayman, I never got to see a shark (yes, I wanted to). They aren't really common there. Divers tend to be more likely to see sharks around the Bahamas or Turks & Caicos (yes, we got to see sharks there) Just be cautious where ever you snorkel... Don't snorkel alone, with open/bleeding cuts, or in murky water (which it's unlikely to be unless there's been a storm/heavy rain). Go and have fun! :)

I dived in Cozumel several times and have seen nurse sharks on more than one occassion. Basically, stick with your tour guide. They'll know the surroundings and what to do, if necessary. It's really more exciting than scary!!

Have fun!

I dived in Cozumel several times and have seen nurse sharks on more than one occassion. Basically, stick with your tour guide. They'll know the surroundings and what to do, if necessary. It's really more exciting than scary!!

Have fun!

Thanks you guys. I wasn't planning to use a tour guide because I wanted to avoid price gouging shore excursions, but I've changed my mind. I think it would be wiser for me to go on a group excursion. As a group leader with some expertise will help me feel at ease. Any recommendations?

Archived