Boston Priceline/Hotwire

Linda/Ohio

I've been to Boston once and stayed at the Westin. Nice hotel-but nothing really to see. Will need a pre-cruise room again October 21. Looked at Hotwire and saw some reasonable 3+ rates. I read through the other Boston thread and understand that Back Bay is a good place to stay. We will be flying in-in the evening--so I would like someplace that has a few venues nearby to shop or eat. To get to the port we may either be picked up by relatives driving in that morning from Portland or take a taxi.

Any advise or input? I will be making the hotwire or priceline bid in next 24-48 hours after I am sure who all is going on this cruise with us.

The 3 1/2* hotel in Back Bay is most likely the Sheraton. That has been a regular on Boston Hotwire for the last few months. However, as always, no guarantees. The other 3 1/2* in Bay Bay is the Hilton. $124 is a terrific price. The $194 4* hotel is likely the Westin Copley. I'd grab the $124 hotel for your group if you can.

Anything about these locations that I need to consider if my niece is driving in the morning of the cruise from Portland and wants to pick us up at the hotel? I am not from New England area--so I don't really know the route they will take or if certain areas will be more convenient or a hassle for them to get us and then head to port.

Since you're leaving on a Thursday, there will be a lot of traffic around the Copley/Prudential area. Your niece will be coming down rt. 93 and this area is only a few miles off the highway.

I would just give yourself enough time to navigate the traffic and head over to the pier, should take about 20-30 minutes with average traffic - but the traffic is never average.

Use East Berkely St to West 4th to West Broadway to D St. This will get you to the terminal through South Boston instead of going back near downtown.

Not everyone can handle Boston.......... If your niece is used to driving in Portland, she should be okay. If she's not used to heavy traffic and city driving, I strongly recommend she go straight to Black Falcon and you take a taxi.

Boston is difficult to navigate and the drivers are brutal.............. I know this firsthand because I am one. :D We take no prisoners and give no breaks so if she's easily intimidated, she hasn't got a chance.

The other option would be that we stay overnight someplace or part of town that would be less difficult for her to navigate. Any hotel ideas? My only experience in Boston travel is a taxi--seemed pretty crazy to me....

Any hotel closer to the route she is taking into town from Portland? Or on the way to Black Falcon?

That's good advice. I was thinking of the best way to get to the Copley area from I93 and was thinking Storrow Drive to Copley and then probably a lot of wrong turns to get on the hotel street going in the right direction. Then you have to figure out how to get back to South Boston. Mapquest shows straight in Boylston to Essex to a jag to Summer St and on into South Boston. Cruisin South mentions East Berkeley to W. 4th with a jag to Broadway to D Street. Not too appealing - one missing street sign and you're really lost.

Well, they'd be back in South Boston for $129 at probably the Westin again, which is where they stayed before, I think. As they said, not much there. However, the cab fare would be cheaper from the airport to the Westin, and they could spend the difference and take a cab to Faneuil Hall in the evening. The hotel rate is fantastic for either place - there's room for a few cabs on top of it.

The problem for folks looking for hotel rooms in Boston is that they are very expensive. For example Linda is looking for Oct 21. There are two excellent choices on Hotwire for $129, one in Back Bay and another in South Boston. From the amenties listed and recent experiences these hotels are likely to be the Sheraton or the Westin Convention Center. I pulled up Marriott Long Wharf for the same date and the rack rate is $299. That is a huge difference - most cruisers would opt for the $129 rate, particularly since the hotels are a 3 1/2* and a 4*.

However, for some dates it doesn't always work. We recently had a cruiser who needed a room for the Head of the Charles weekend - nothing inexpensive on Hotwire. We found him a regular reservation at Harborside Inn for $234 and he is still watching Hotwire and Priceline but is thankful he has a reservation he can live with.

As always, the answer is "it depends". It depends on your date, it depends on what is going on in Boston, and it depends when you look at Hotwire or Priceline. You have to be prepared to make a decision and go for it.

Well, the great thing about Boston is that it is a small city and any 3 1/2*+ hotel in the Back Bay, Theater district, Financial District, Quincy Market, or Waterfront is going to be a nice hotel. Wherever you stay in the city, you are likely to travel to the other areas, so location does not have to be a paramount consideration for a tourist if they choose a hotel in one of these areas. Safety is also not an issue. We have been able to encourage price conscious folks who were looking at more fringe areas to take a chance on Hotwire or Priceline to upgrade to a much nicer hotel for similar dollars.

I too would pay more to avoid inconvenience--last time I paid for the Westin and it was convenient to the port-wouldn't want to buy that for full price again. I am not 100% sure exactly what is convenient as I live in another area. Very helpful to have input from those that know the area better. For me--convenience is not having to tote my luggage around too many times--too dang far.

Sorry to hear that you paid full price for the Westin. I agree - I would not pay full price for it. However, if you get a great deal on a hotel in one of the areas I have mentioned, then there is room in the budget to spend on the convenience of a cab to and from the doorstep of the hotel. For example, none of the downtown Boston hotels have free shuttles to and from the airport. The airport hotels which do have free shuttles are located northeast in Revere or Saugus and are definitely not as convenient for sightseeing in town. Each person has to figure out what possible options would work best for them.

I will make decision this weekend--when I see exactly what niece is planning to do. They originally planned to take Amtrak from Portland--but somehow that seemed to be hassle? How big of a deal is it? She doesn't want to be popping on and off trains with luggage in tow.

I personally would prefer that we stay in town and then meet them at the port.

Ok. Checked hotwire and other booking engines prior to using Priceline. I got the Sheraton Boston Hotel for $95.00 plus tax = $115.15. Listed as 3.5 stars. Rack rate currently for that nite is $329.00. Thanks everyone for the assistance. We will take a taxi to the hotel and also to the port.

You got a fantastic deal! Congratulations. Your niece should definitely consider both the train and the bus to Boston. Bus service is hourly in the morning - $26 to South Station - easy cab to the port. There should be good return bus service as well. Amtrak is $24, but only 2 trains at 5:45 and 8 am. and they go into North Station. If she drives she has mileage, tolls, and $15/day parking plus the overall hassle - if she is alone probably not worth it at all to drive.

Archived