Behind the scenes 3 1/3 hr tour on Glory

Seayalater

Our guides Manuela and Sonia mentioned the Glory was one of 2 Carnival ships trying this tour..you book it through excursions (odd!) the had so much demand for it that they did a second tour that morning. I love seeing where everything is, I love reading ex-cruise personel's books. The morgue was like a steel fridge, we didn't see it open.

Wow...this definitely sounds like it's worth the money. I'd do it. Why do they only change the sheets on Weds? They don't change them daily?

It doesnt seem very eco friendly if they washed them everyday. if you notice in the bathroom in the suite, they have door hangers saying if you want your towels washed, put them on the floor. If they are hanging up,then it means you can use it again.

Do you change the sheets on your bed at home everyday?

I've posted elsewhere about the tour on the Pride (Aug 14-21 cruise), and they said that was the third week they were doing it on that ship. Yes, it was $95 per person. I signed up right before dinner on the second day, about 10 minutes after I heard they offered it (I had the shore excursions talk on the TV while we got ready for dinner, and they mentioned it on there). At the time I signed up, they said there were 5 spots left. On tour morning, there were 2 groups of 16 people that actually did the tour. The training and development manager conducted our tour and her assistant did the other group.

The other thing not mentioned is no open toed shoes are allowed. Unfortunately, I left my running shoes in the car and only brought sandals for the daytime, and dress shoes for the night. So I had to wear the dress shoes for the tour. They did check at the start and sent a few people off to change shoes before the tour started.

Someone mentioned they don't see how this costs Carnival one extra dime. I guess we can assume the manager and assistant manager conducting our tours for 4 hours wouldn't have had other work to do. The head chef was with each group for 15-20 minutes in the galley and again for another 10 minutes or so up at the steakhouse. The Captain was with us for nearly a half hour, each group. I know these are salaried positions, but it's still time taken away from their jobs. We each received the lanyard that our badge hung from, a book of photos taken by crew members from around the world, a baseball cap, the soap carving, 3 8x10 photos taken during the tour (group shots in the galley and on the bridge as well as individuals with the captain), a couple drinks in the steakhouse at the end of the tour, as well as the chocolate covered strawberry and dessert tray sent to our cabin. Not a lot of incremental cost for Carnival, but not nothing either. It doesn't cost them $20 a card for a 3 minute bingo game either. I certainly didn't feel ripped off or taken by paying for this tour.

The Captain is gorgeous!!!!! *swoon*

I did happen to hear that amongst the ladies on board LOL. He did strike me as young for a captain, as most of the ones we have had have been a step or 2 from retirement (or the nursing home LOL). His last name is Alcaras. First name is Vincente or something like that. Good sense of humour too.

I did happen to hear that amongst the ladies on board LOL. He did strike me as young for a captain, as most of the ones we have had have been a step or 2 from retirement (or the nursing home LOL). His last name is Alcaras. First name is Vincente or something like that. Good sense of humour too.

I doubt we'll have a young, hot captain on our ship but the tour will still be super cool. However, I'll keep my fingers crossed that Capt Alcaras moves over to the Valor. *fingers crossed*

I doubt we'll have a young, hot captain on our ship but the tour will still be super cool. However, I'll keep my fingers crossed that Capt Alcaras moves over to the Valor. *fingers crossed*

Not sure if this is Marsi or Keri but do you think you may do this tour? I think it might be fun to have our whole roll call do this!!!

Not sure if this is Marsi or Keri but do you think you may do this tour? I think it might be fun to have our whole roll call do this!!!

It's Marsi. :) I just got an email from Keri and she said she's in...as long as it's a sea day, which I'm pretty sure it is. I'm in too!

It would be awesome if we got more of our roll call to do it -- except not too many, otherwise there won't be room for us. LOL.

The reason for no open toed shoes is safety. You will be in the engine room and the galley. both places can have objects that can hurt if you accidently kick it.

If you were to go in an engine room or pump house in any petro chemical plant or refinery in the USA you would have to wear work boots , Safety glasses, hearing and eye protection.

Sounds great, but I guess I'd hate to give up 3 plus hours of my sea day. Since the port days are pretty hectic, we like to relax on sea days and not have major commitments.

If it were half the length and half the price I think we would consider it.;)

We met at 915am on the final sea day, and the first group had already left for the tour. I did comment that I wish they had it on one of the earlier sea days as there was a lot going on that last day that it seemed to take a lot of time away from.

The shoe rule was for your safety as you are in a lot of areas where you could have things dropped, like in the galley, trash room and laundry, or where there are lots of things being moved in the main corridor on A deck (the engine control room is basically an office but you never know when an engine manual might fall off the bookcase LOL). The stairs you go down are steeper and narrower than the usual passenger stairs, but I felt my sandals would have provided better traction on them than my dress shoes

Wow...this definitely sounds like it's worth the money. I'd do it. Why do they only change the sheets on Weds? They don't change them daily?

They probably realize most of us don't change our sheets at home daily and it would be a tremendous waste of resources to do so for a couple of thousand people a day.

Archived