Our Excellent European Adventure - A Gem Review With Pix!!

mapsmom

I would have loved a longer experience, but with everyone's school and work schedule, this worked out the best. I am thinking of the Gem next year in the Greek Isles - hopefully DS1, who is a teacher, will be able to go as well. DM abd DD practically have their plane fare figured out, they are so excited to replicate the experience.

Your review really inspired us - thanks!

I must admit to envy when I see how many cruises you have been on, and have planned. How do you do it, timewise? I get very little vacation from my job, and DH as well. I would love to take a January cruise to anyplace warm, but I am not sure if time will allow.

thanks mississuga - if I can answer any questions just let me know. It's still pretty fresh in my mind. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised at the value of things in Europe, especially since everyone told me that everything was super expensive. There are many bargains to be had, it's just a matter of looking.

thanks mississuga - if I can answer any questions just let me know. It's still pretty fresh in my mind. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised at the value of things in Europe, especially since everyone told me that everything was super expensive. There are many bargains to be had, it's just a matter of looking.

We were there last year and I did find everything super expensive.....

especially the food. The only bargains I found were souvenirs in Pisa ( relative to the other ports/cities but still not real bargains.) Sounds like you found some in dresses/clothing though. Good for you.:D

I think that because of the recession, some vendors lowered their prices. Even the food wasn't horribly expensive. The Rome pizza was 2.75 Euros, and the paella was 20 E with a LOT of Sangria and tax and tip.

My friend went in 2007, and said everything was sky high, so I guess the recession affected everyone. (She also paid $1500 pp for airfare, and I paid $675 - big price difference).

I hope the prices don't go up too much for next year because I would like to go again!

I would have loved a longer experience, but with everyone's school and work schedule, this worked out the best. I am thinking of the Gem next year in the Greek Isles - hopefully DS1, who is a teacher, will be able to go as well. DM abd DD practically have their plane fare figured out, they are so excited to replicate the experience.

Your review really inspired us - thanks!

I must admit to envy when I see how many cruises you have been on, and have planned. How do you do it, timewise? I get very little vacation from my job, and DH as well. I would love to take a January cruise to anyplace warm, but I am not sure if time will allow.

Ohhhh--so jealous if you guys get to go again, this time to Europe. How fun!

It may seem like I've been on alot of cruises, but they are spread out over 25+ years. So....it averages out to a little more than one per year. We ALWAYS travel on a bargain, and won't go otherwise. That's why we look longingly at the new RCCL ships, but haven't set foot on them b/c they are too expensive. And, I can admit that the GEM cruise we took last year was a treat for both my brother and I, and our families, to help Dad celebrated his 70th bday. So....

I have worked for the same company almost 20 years, and at this point average 7 weeks of vacation/holiday time per year. That's a lot of time off. And, I HATE to take time off and just stay home. Belch!

I'm already scouring the internet for next year's deals. Hoping to find something good. Best of luck to you, in the hopes you find a quick cruise to squeeze in for January.

--CeleBrat

Great review! Thanks for taking the time to post it. Do you recall if they had an ironing special the first night? We were on the Star in February. The first night any item you left in the bag on the bed was ironed for a dollar and returned to your closet the next day by lunch. I thought this was an awesome deal and sure helps in planning the packing.;)

No, they didn't. I did not participate in the $25 laundry special either, but DC did and she was happy with it. Here's how we handled the ironing issue. We brought downy wrinkle releaser and it worked great. I also have a travel iron, but I did not bring it.

DH and DS use Brooks Brothers no-iron shirts for work, and these are great! you could practically run them over with a car and they retain their just-pressed look. They are 100% cotton and you can get them for about $30 on sale at the outlets. We wait for the sale, and buy a boatload of them. And, if they wear out, they will replace them for free, no questions asked. No dry cleaning bills, no ironing - what a dream. They also have women's and I own a few.

Hope this helps.

Archived