is Old San Juan walking tour worth it

Hey guys need some help here i have heard from several people who have been to San Juan that it isn't the safest city to wonder in so my wife and i are going in september next year but wanted to see the sites not just the shops so i was thinking about booking the walking tour excursion so at least we will be with a group and feel a little safer. has anyone been on this ?? any help would be great

Sov. of the seas 9/15/02

Exp. of the seas 9/18/05

Great Tour, we started at El Morro and worked our way down the hill. Felt very safe at all times. Would have liked to wander around downtown but the ship was over at the Pan American Pier so we took the bus back at the end of the tour.

Enjoy - Jim M

San Juan "proper" I would consider to be unsafe. As far as Old San Juan, however, I've had the pleasure of staying there on a number occasions and have never felt unsafe or afraid to walk around.

As far as a walking tour, IMHO, forget it!!! Many places to get a self-guided walking tour map (both on the internet and in OSJ). Walk the lovely streets of OSJ on your own -- take your own walking tour at your leisure, and enjoy 7 square block of the most beautiful history, museums, churches, plazas, architecture, etc.

If I sound bias, I am. Oh, by the way I am staying 2-days pre-cruise in OSJ in just a few weeks. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

Last time we were in Sj, it was from 5-11pm. My DH and myself walked around old SJ all evening by ourselves, it's a great old city. We never felt threatened, or scared. The achitechiture of all the old buildings are just incredible! We walked from the pier to El Morro and back. Found a drug store on the way bought some bottled water, and a couple of soveniers. We are going back again in a couple of weeks, hope to see this wonderful city during the daytime!

There is a walking tour map available at the Sj tourist information office. Its either free, or extreamely inexpensive.There is also a crafts market there.

P.S. Take a cab to El Morro and walk DOWN back towards the pier. The walk uphill is really interesting, especially if your not used to doing so much walking up steep streets.

Trudy

We went pre-cruise to Old San Juan and loved it. We did a walking tour on our own. Went to the fort, flew kites, stopped at the beautiful old church, stopped for some pina coladas, bought a hand carved saint. We can't wait to go back some day. Always felt safe. We followed a walking tour that we found on the internet.

I have to agree with Richard. Don't purchase the walking tour - do it on your own. I contacted Puerto Rico tourism board prior to going. They sent me a book which had all sorts of activites plus a great map of the Old San Juan area. We (my 20 yr old daughter and I) tore out the map from the book and set foot right off the ship. We walked all along the waterfront, up into the old section past the govenor's mansion, up to see the San Juan Cathedral, and then over to El Morro. We walked back to the ship through town past all the little shops and restaurants. It was a nice walk and I would do it again in a heartbeat. We arrived early and were off the ship at 8am. It became humid very quickly so bring water with you. We had packed our own water bottles in our luggage and they came in handy.

I'm not sure where the Pan American Pier is in relationship to old san juan. We were at Pier 4 in November.

Do it on your own! You can pace yourself and see what you want, when you want. Either pick up a tour map at the pink building on the waterfront or find a good one in a travel guide at the bookstore. Except for the area on the north side of OSJ known as La Perla, you should be safe and can enjoy the sites. Don't go into La Perla. See the forts, the Cathedral, and El Convento hotel. Take good walking shoes since there are a lot of cobblestone streets. Check out the architecture and soak in the atmosphere. It's a great place to see and enjoy.

Another vote for doing the walking tour on your own!

You can get a copy of the tour through http://www.fodors.com

or buy the book (as I did) with all the Caribbean islands in it.

It was raining the (half) day we visited, but did the walk

anyway, and ended up in a great little bakery/restaurant

for lunch.

Hey guys need some help here i have heard from several people who have been to San Juan that it isn't the safest city to wonder in so my wife and i are going in september next year but wanted to see the sites not just the shops so i was thinking about booking the walking tour excursion so at least we will be with a group and feel a little safer. has anyone been on this ?? any help would be great

Sov. of the seas 9/15/02

Exp. of the seas 9/18/05

yes yes yes. we did it last apr. even d/d enjoyed it. make sure you explore the fort!

dean & alice:)

I have to agree with Richard. Don't purchase the walking tour - do it on your own. I contacted Puerto Rico tourism board prior to going. They sent me a book which had all sorts of activites plus a great map of the Old San Juan area. We (my 20 yr old daughter and I) tore out the map from the book and set foot right off the ship. We walked all along the waterfront, up into the old section past the govenor's mansion, up to see the San Juan Cathedral, and then over to El Morro. We walked back to the ship through town past all the little shops and restaurants. It was a nice walk and I would do it again in a heartbeat. We arrived early and were off the ship at 8am. It became humid very quickly so bring water with you. We had packed our own water bottles in our luggage and they came in handy.

I'm not sure where the Pan American Pier is in relationship to old san juan. We were at Pier 4 in November.

What is the website for the "Puerto Rican Tourism Board"? I couldn't find it on the internet. I would like some information from them, as I will be going on the AOS out of San Juan on 7/31/05. Thanks!

Agree with all who suggest doing this on your own, however, this may be more strenuous than a walk in the park as there are some steep streets to navigate to reach El Moro fort(but it is all downhill on the way back) if that is one of the sites you want to see.

Frank

We cruised on the VOS in September and were chased by the hurricane. We booked a tour and were satisfied in every respect, except for the weather, which was oppressively hot and humid due to the approaching storm, and our tour was cut short by one hour. The tour guide was fantastic, and I'm sure that in my case I wouldn't have learned as much about El Morro and the other buildings in OSJ without this guide. He even provided plastic ponchos in little packages in case of rain (which did occur). So put me down in the "guided tour" column! (It wasn't pricey at all.) ML :rolleyes:

Archived