Aruba & Curacoa

rorito

• 2 weeks later...
Looking for the best snorkeling on Aruba and Curacoa. Never been to either and would prefer snorkeling right off the beach. Thanks for your recommendations!

Hi rorito

DH and I are reading good things about "The Dive Bus," a dive/snork operation on Curacao. Google them so you can see the options. We think we'll take a "taxi bus" from the cruise ship (about $10 per cab) to their little operation near the Seaquarium (takes about 10 minutes), and then swim out a couple of minutes to the reef. Their website is really good for finding out what's available and where's good to snork on CuraCAO ;)

Are you taking your own equipment? If so, there appears to be no charge; if you don't, they apparently have good Q stuff to rent.

There are a couple of other snork and tour things offered by them that you may want to consider. They were just more than we wanted to spend. Saving money for our post-snork potables. :D

Still mulling over what to do in Aruba and checking things out on the Ports of Call forum . . . hope you're doing that, too. See you there. :)

Hi rorito

DH and I are reading good things about "The Dive Bus," a dive/snork operation on Curacao. Google them so you can see the options. We think we'll take a "taxi bus" from the cruise ship (about $10 per cab) to their little operation near the Seaquarium (takes about 10 minutes), and then swim out a couple of minutes to the reef. Their website is really good for finding out what's available and where's good to snork on CuraCAO ;)

Are you taking your own equipment? If so, there appears to be no charge; if you don't, they apparently have good Q stuff to rent.

There are a couple of other snork and tour things offered by them that you may want to consider. They were just more than we wanted to spend. Saving money for our post-snork potables. :D

Still mulling over what to do in Aruba and checking things out on the Ports of Call forum . . . hope you're doing that, too. See you there. :)

Thanks for this info, CoolChile. I googled the group and am happy with what is there. We're on your roll call and maybe able to team up with you if you're interested.

Hi rorito

Thanks! Looks perfect. I am ready to snorkel at the dive bus!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this info, CoolChile. I googled the group and am happy with what is there. We're on your roll call and maybe able to team up with you if you're interested.

Just saw this post, ninkb (I knew I should have subscribed to this thread :rolleyes: ), and yeah, I know you're as much of a snork-fiend as I am. Definitely we'll connect about teaming up on this on our roll call. :)

Thanks! Looks perfect. I am ready to snorkel at the dive bus!

Glad it was helpful, rorito. BTW, I've read that the food's good at the little restaurant attached to the dive bus. Just in case there isn't enough food on the ship for you. :D

I don't think I've ever snorkeled any place in Aruba direct from the beach. We usually take a snorkeling excursion like the MiDushi or the Jolly Pirates - both old schooners that do a similar tour & stops - sunken wreck and a nearby reef.

In Curacao I'd highly recommend either Playa Porto Mari (longer taxi ride) or Kontiki beach (beach club in the Aquarium Beach area). Both should do nicely. I've been to Playa Porto Mari and loved it, not snorkeled at Kontiki but have heard nice things about it and it is closer, but maybe not quite as nice, as Playa Porto Mari.

Aruba

Curacao - Kontiki

Curacao - Playa Porto Mari

• 3 weeks later...
. . . In Curacao I'd highly recommend either Playa Porto Mari (longer taxi ride) or Kontiki beach (beach club in the Aquarium Beach area). Both should do nicely. I've been to Playa Porto Mari and loved it, not snorkeled at Kontiki but have heard nice things about it and it is closer, but maybe not quite as nice, as Playa Porto Mari.

I also highly recommend Playa Porto Mari . . . .

tlf

Just when I thought I'd made up my mind (as opposed to losing it :p ) about going to the "dive bus" area and swimming out to the reef for great snork (see my post above), ya'll are suggesting Playa Porto Mari might be the best.

Last time, I went to the Seaquarium area and clambered through the rocky parts that define the limits of the swimming area. It was pretty fair snork, but I think there's better. That's why I checked out the dive bus area which I think is right past the Seaquarium ... am I right?

Please, tell me where you think we'll have the best snorkelling. My roll call's counting on you. :D

We are divers but many if not most dive operators in the Caribbean also cater to snorkelers. THE DIVE BUS on Curacao is one of the very best operators and certainly the most fun operator we have ever encountered. They are indeed no more than a ten minute cab ride from the cruise ship terminal.

Suzy and Mark, the couple that run the place, are a hoot. They do take good care of snorkelers and we have been there when snorkelers were also present. They took great care of both groups.

The Dive Bus is right on the beach furthermore there is a really good small restaurant located next to them. Divers or snorkelers can do a morning of aquatic fun 'n' phrolic then have a great lunch right there followed by more snorkeling or diving in the afternoon.

If you search the Scuba & Snorkeling board or the Curacao part of the Ports of Call board you'll find find many glowing reports from all who have visited them.

Hope this is helpful. We will be diving with them again on December 15Th.

Everyone have a great day out there.

:)

Is dive bus a tour to different areas, or one spot?

The Dive Bus will take you to any one of a number of snorkeling sites. Car Pile Reef is right at their doorstep but there are many, many more snorkeling and dive sites near bye.:D

Hi Pilot70D

Thanks for the thorough reply and indeed, I've perused the topic on their site as well as the forums you mention. I agree with all that you say -- I had an e-conversation with Suzy and she was great. I'm definitley leaning towards several of us from our roll call swimming out to Car Pile Reef followed by lunch at the little restaurant at The Dive Bus, then more snork.

We have to make sure we aren't watching the Noordam pull out as we finally take our eyes off the fish. :eek: :D

Looking for the best snorkeling on Aruba and Curacoa. Never been to either and would prefer snorkeling right off the beach. Thanks for your recommendations!

Check our shorediving.com. Lots of information. Userful for snorkeling

http://shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/index.htm for the ABC islands. On Aruba I recommend Boca Catalina and Catlina Cove for shore snorkeling. I dove on Curacao, but it was from a boat. Can't recommend any snorkeling from the shore.

You have to be aware of the logistics of getting to and from the cruise ship, however.

Hi Pilot70D

We have to make sure we aren't watching the Noordam pull out as we finally take our eyes off the fish. :eek: :D

The last time we sailed with HAL we were aboard the Geritolendam I think and it never moved very fast. :)

If the Noordam is like that then catching it shouldn't be a problem.

when we were in aruba last year we took the #10 bus to the end of the line - Malmok - and then walked about 1/4 mile in the same direction we had been riding (north) and on our left was Boca Catalina - there are several palapas there along the shore where you can leave your stuff and just walk right in and swim to the right. It was good snorkeling. There is a low, wide wooden sign along the road on which the writing is faded or somehow barely legible, I can't remember now exactly why it was hard to read, but it is enough to let you know that you are at the right place - it says "boca catalina" - we had been walking closer to the water than to the road, in the dirt, and almost missed it.

The bus terminal is right across the street from the cruise terminal. The buses sit in lanes, the #10 was all the way to the left as you face the lanes (there are signs to tell you the route number of the bus that sits in that lane). You have to ask the driver, though, if it is going to Malmok, because some of the #10 buses go there and others go only part way up that route. To catch the return bus, we simply walked back to where we got off (it is a turn-around in the dirt along the side of the road, next to a tree which provided shade:D) and waited and pretty soon, the bus came by and we got on. Less than $2.00 each.

We're divers, and the Dive Bus is one of our absolute favorite spots. As some of you already know, Suzy and Mark are a complete blast. We'll be back there for another dive-fest in a month, for the second time this year. :D

Somehow, despite the fact that we show up with a crew of cruisers to take over the place for the day, and create piles and piles of beer cans afterwards, they keep letting us come back.

About snorkeling - we have had lots of snorkelers come with our dive groups, and they always have a good time. According to the folks that have done it, the guided snorkel trip is very worth the money.

Pierbaai/Car Pile is their home reef, and the crew there knows all the nooks and crannies where all the cool stuff hides. I'm actually a marine biologist, and I'm amazed at the stuff they find that I swim right by.

Hopefully, the pink frogfish will be back for our next trip. The frogfish itself was really cool, but Mark's body language sign for frogfish was even better. I can't even describe it - it just has to be seen to be believed.

One warning - you really, really want to have real dive boots and fins because the bottom is full of rocks and coral bits (but that's what makes the diving and snorkeling so good). Bare feet in full-foot fins is truly not a good idea.

Oh yes... the red snapper is AWESOME - I haven't managed to get past it yet to order something else. Folks on our trips have ordered almost everything off the menu, and it's all good. The beer is cheap, too. ;)

Have a great time!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

Just back from the Zuiderdam - and we dove in both Aruba and Curacao.

Aruba: Dove with JADS. Since we had a noon arrival (noon-10pm in port), we couldn't dive with Clive - since Clive only dives in the morning. We also traded emails with some of the other recommended dive shops for Aruba, JADS responded and said they'd be able to do business with us.

They picked us up and took us to the dive shop at Baby Beach. Nice folks there. However, the dive was ROUGH. I am a new diver - and this dive was definately for the more experienced diver - a really rocky / rough / high current shore entry - and plenty of current under the water, too.

I was a bit winded just getting out to where we could actually descend - and since I'm not at the pinnacle of human fitness, I sucked thru the air pretty good. When we surfaced, it was a pretty hard fight just to get back to shore - and I started to get tired so I yelled and got me an assist back in.

After the surface interval, our next dive was up the road behind someone's house. This was a MUCH MUCH better shore entry - and was approaching twilight, so a bit of change in scenery. I had much better air consumption on this one.

I'd dive again with JADS - but I do not want to dive Baby Beach again.

Curacao:

DIVE BUS!!!!

Dive with mark and suzy - they are awesome. Compared to the dive in Aruba, this was like diving in an aquarium. Shore entry was a piece of cake, and I had just two really great dives. I recommend them - and I hope to be back either by ship, or just a dedicated trip to Curacao (and Bonaire).

Check out shorediving.com. Lots of info. Userful for snorkeling. http://shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/index.htm for the ABC islands. On Aruba I recommend Boca Catalina and Catlina Cove for shore snorkeling.

Superb website, bdklein. I even signed up for their quarterly newsletters. Just feeding the addiction. :D

when we were in aruba last year we took the #10 bus to the end of the line - Malmok - and then walked about 1/4 mile in the same direction we had been riding (north) and on our left was Boca Catalina. [edited]

Also great info, coffeegirl23. Thanx for the details on how to get there, really helpful. You make it sound totally do-able, and gee, it might even be FUN. ;)

We're divers, and the Dive Bus is one of our absolute favorite spots.

About snorkeling - According to the folks that have done it, the guided snorkel trip is very worth the money.

Pierbaai/Car Pile is their home reef, and the crew there knows all the nooks and crannies where all the cool stuff hides. I'm actually a marine biologist, and I'm amazed at the stuff they find that I swim right by. Wendy

Wendy, I appreciate your comments, especially as you're a diver and not a snorker. We were set on doing the independent snork (free), swimming out to the reef at The Dive Bus, but reading your post, I'm now second-guessing myself and wondering if we should do the guided snork ($50 pp). Will we miss a lot of unique things by snorkeling out there on own? Is the benefit of having a guide MAINLY if one is diving? (We're experienced snorkelers.)

Could you offer an opinion? Others welcome too of course. ;)

Wendy, I appreciate your comments, especially as you're a diver and not a snorker. We were set on doing the independent snork (free), swimming out to the reef at The Dive Bus, but reading your post, I'm now second-guessing myself and wondering if we should do the guided snork ($50 pp). Will we miss a lot of unique things by snorkeling out there on own? Is the benefit of having a guide MAINLY if one is diving? (We're experienced snorkelers.)

Could you offer an opinion? Others welcome too of course. ;)

We're going to be going back on November 27th off the Grandeur. Also, Mark keeps trying to beat me on air, but hasn't made it yet. ;)

Well, $50pp is a bit spendy, there's no doubt about that. Please compare that to the 60-80$ price of a hurry-up-and-wait-shore excursion with 50 people, crappy gear, and a dead reef.

However, the $50 price does include gear rental of real dive masks, boots and fins, and if you don't have real dive boots and fins, you WILL want them if you would like your feet to remain whole and unshredded. (just gear rental is $15 pp if I remember correctly)

Everyone that has done the guided snorkel on my trips has come back and raved about how great it was, because of the briefing and all the critters and good stuff that your guide points out. Of course, you get to stay and snorkel by yourselves all day after the tour.

I can tell you from experience that these folks know their stuff. I am actually a marine biologist, know what I'm looking for, and still take the guided dive each and every time. I have had a lot of 'first seen' critters at The Dive Bus, including frogfish, seahorse, Flying Gurnard, and a whole school of Caribbean squid.

So yes, I think you will miss a lot if you just go on your own. That being said, you can't miss what you didn't see in the first place, except the other folks will be telling you about it.

Actually, since you are thinking about doing a guided snorkel, why not go all the way and try a Discover Dive? The difference is INCREDIBLE!!!

Have a great trip, whatever you decide to do.

Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

I don"t want to appear stupid but could someone explain what dive boots are. We have our own snorkel equipment but no boots. :confused: My husband dives down to look at things when we go snorkeling but I only stay on the surface. Thanks!

Archived