JUst back Destiny 4 night...9/3-9/7 ..Great Cruise

sharecruises

Hi..well leaving the ship is the saddest thing

getting on ship Thurs morning was a breeze...we live fort lauderdale

and I arranged for 25 in our group to take a bus from a friends house, roundtrip with tax/tip was $24 each...our luggage went under bus

we had mimosas on the bus and were at port early, used the kiosk

which was pretty easy, have the same card ready that you put on your

funpass, swipe, get a printout and go to desk get key

we had zone 1 and were on the ship immediately

buffet open and food was good....not crowded *(later it would be)

I had the reueben from the deli with pickles...fantastic :)

Ordered my "Miami Vice">>> 1/2 Pina Colada, 1/2 Strawberry Daquori

yum

it was raining, so hung back by pizzeria till cabins ready, cabin was inside

2nd deck , and it was fine, plenty room for me and my friend, I don't sit on balconies and won't spend for them so it was fine

~~~~~~~~~

Muster was quick and easy, sailwaway in rain, last we saw of that, weather was hot but perfect for the rest of our trip

~~~~~

Had some newbies to cruising so we took spa tour and entered raffle

and took "ship tour"...just a gloss over of where the major venues our. I normally don't do that but with a group and newbies...I went and it was fine

~~~~~~

Our group had a private open cocktail party for 1 hour, where I ordered more miami vice in small cups

This was held in the downbeat lounge which I thought was one of the

best looking rooms on the ship

~~~~

Dinner 2nd seating, Galaxy (smaller/midship) dining room...fantastic

the food was simply wonderful in the dining room,

I had caesar salad, the ribs, chocolate melting cake..yum

everyone enjoyed their food , loved that cake

~~~~~

Some of our group saw the show Formidable....and raved. Great singers here

and the dancers were "in synch"..

I went to downbeat where Blood Power played and they were suburb, also very personable, they do classic rock...fantastic

danced and then conked out

Friday sept 4 Key West

up early and off to lido...had a good omelet, slightly overcooked

the line was short but quickly was building up..

the rest of the breakfast stuff was ok, but it got very crowded

our day was short in KW, and everyone had the same idea...eat and get off ship

it was pretty much a madhouse

went with some friends to just walk around KW, some friends parasailed,

we had coupon for $29 parasail and they enjoyed it

the rest of us just walked around, laughed at tee shirts, checked out kw aloe, bought some goodies there, had an iced coffee at a cute cafe

went to Irish Kevins'...where the guitar player/singer started early, about 10;30 am

It was fun but I live in Fort Lauderdale....we have lots of shop malls that are designed to look like Key West...it pretty much looked like our beach area

we did see some characters...a guy making palm hats, a guy who will tell jokes for $1..*with a sign, "h--l I need a Beer" haha

All in all tho not much unique there..we have the same china made junk for sale in Fort Lauderdale and a much prettier beach

different place, same tee shirts <grin>

~~~~~~

We got back early enough before the long lines formed to reboard...

it is a very short time in Key West and a bit of a waste IMHO

Back on board ship, the Lido was a mess, lines were huge, we did go in back and had some pizza. I have been on other carnival ships and preferred the Pizza there but this was ok. I really feel that Destiny had the worst and longest buffet lines of all of them

It lacks that upstairs sea food area that provides one more area to get food on Glory and Valor etc. The buffet area on Destiny was always crowded and had some huge lines....also at various times different stations would be out of ice, cups, glasses, half and half

~~~~~~~

Got changed and we were able to get loungers out in the aft adult no smoking pool area (by pizzeria)

and here comes my complaint area >>> not chair hogs, just hogs

people smoking in the non smoking area...a guy smoking in hot tub

kids in hot tub....kids in pool...a guy with a baby in a stroller

I stopped one of the drink waiters and he was a wimpy little guy..shrug " well nothing we can do if the peoples wants the kiddies there....the peoples wants to smoke me can't stop them" blah blah

I told this little wimp to get security and a guy came over and promptly went into action and got the offenders out of there, one of the dads was not happy ....well I guess he would not be happy if I roll into Camp Carnival with a bucket of beer ?

The security guy was nice, new to the Destiny, from the Conquest,

he stayed on top of things and had to eject more kids

and also stop people who were lighting up

they do have signs there but not that easy to see really....and IMHO the signs should also be in several languages, not just English

More people lit up cigarettes and were told they had to go upstairs or out to the main pool

~~~~~~

then it was time to get ready for "elegant" night and captains party

captains party was ok, got one run and diet coke as I ordered it didn't want the stuff on tray....they did the usual, introduced officers, people danced on stage, it was fine

dinner was a treat....the lobster was probably the best I ever had on a ship

prime rib was tasty (I split one with a friend)....shrimp...fantastic

had the bitter and blanc and it was great too

saw Frank del Pizzo comedy and he was hillarious

got back into some more comfortable clothes, and hit a few bars and disco

it was a lot of fun

~~~~~

Saturday Sept 5, Cozumel

Used room service for wake up call, just coffee and fruit, it is free, just tip thejm this am they forgot the cups LOL>> our room steward was in the hall and got the guy to get us some cups, think it was just an honest mistake

so it was fine

Today we went to the dining room and enjoyed great sevice and wonderful food and NO big lines.

I love : eggs benedict with an order of extra hollandaise on side, and lemon slice which I squeeze into the sauce..heaven!

~~~~~~

It was easy to get off ship and share cabs 4 to a cab for $15, with tip etc we spent $5 each...off to Mr Sanchos beach club where Oliver took great care of us

I had mango margeritas, the best nachose with fabulous guac, some shrimp quesedillas..loungers free, we had chairs under palupa hut

some of our group did the horseback riding and had a great time

I got a 1/2 hour massage for $25 and tipped $5 *talked them down from $33 haha

we shopped in the cute little flea market shops

it was NOT crowded...they have a pool, swings at the bar

and it is the only beach bar where you see Mexicans, locals..

there was a group hosting a kids party there which was cute,

we got to see a real (large) Pinata being hit around by "real" little

Mexican kids...they would count as they swung...unos, dos, tres etc

wonderful day...I have been to others, Playa Mia, too crowded, just cruisers

that is where Carnival goes....I love Sanchos

back to pier...(Puerto Maya) $5 each included tip

shopped a bit, got a nice deal on vanilla at Cinquo Soles

and back on board ship,

took a little nap then to dinner which again was great

the "showtime" was also fun...our waiter got up and danced...

the showtime was much better on Destiny...not drawn out

mostly they got up on the staircase and only a few danced

no congo lines...not a lot of time but fun. I much preferred this

way

Dinner was great again...had the chilled mango soup..yum

flat iron steak and they brought wouestershire sauce as I asked

Loved it

had apple pie and ice cream for dessert, pretty good

~~~~~~

saw a juggler who was great and another comedian who was just OK (will marfoni)

turned in early

Sunday Sept 6, At Sea

Used room service for wake up call, just coffee and fruit, it is free, just tip them

went to the dining room and enjoyed great service and wonderful food and NO big lines. Had tomato juice, bagel, very fresh and nice lox, cream cheese, onions, capers...yum. Coffee was good too

~~~~~~~

Went to aft pool...main pool was super crowded, chair hogged chairs, and just a mess...the whole lido was messy on the Destiny, really the worst

aft pool did not have chair hogs but other hogs

a woman lighting up right at the bar while the bar tender stands there

my friend said there had been others smoking and also kids in the pool

and that she had told a waiter who did nothing. She said the security did come by and get a kid out of the pool

I asked which waiter, and sure enough the little wimp

I had it...I got a supervisor and told him why I would not order drinks from that waiter or the lax bartenders and that he needs to have them enforce the rules and not tell cruisers that " well nothing we can do"

Security was kept busy booting kids out....one kid jumped in and out a few times but they were quick to boot him

more kids and their parents were ejected...one large Spanish speaking family was very angry and continued to sit there with their kids and stroller

which I guess is allowed....but they didn't get back in the pool

the ice cream machine is back there so you will see kids but they are NOT supposed to get in the pool

I did have a nice afternoon despite doing "duty" on deck LOL

The hot tubs were just lukewarm however....and full of beer drinkers which also is not supposed to happen but I guess security was too busy keeping the smokers and stroller set out of the pools to bother

I was glad I was out of the hot tub but my friends still were in it when I got grossed out...this fat guys wife slathered suntan lotion all over his hairy back...while he was in the HOT TUB....ewwwww...

helloo...that is why they have showers there, to shower off before you get in, oh yuck that was so gross...my friends got out and they were grossed

we also said a few choice things for them to hear

rude?? yeah he sure was

ick...after that I didn't have the desire to go in even the adult hot tubs let alone the pool

The lax staff on that back deck, the poor housekeeping on Lido in general

and the long lines were the real drawback to this cruise

~~~~~~~

Showtime was at 7 for the late seating....saw "Nightclub Express"...it was super....both the lead female and male singers were outstanding on this ship, Destiny has the best dancers of any ship I have been on, very well rehearsed, in synch....it was super. Really fun when they did "YMCA" haha

I liked a lot of the songs in this show for a change

Dinner?? well..that is where Destiny shined....it was again great

had the crabcake, a mixed green salad, the indian veg entree,shared a bit of the short ribs which were tender and tasty

chocolate melting cake and ice cream for dessert...fantastic

I skipped the adult comedy show, some friends said it was "just ok"

Nightlife and entertainment were great on this ship

~~~~~~~~~

Monday Sept7

had a leisurely breakfast in dining room,

eggs benedict with extra sauce

and was in the latter groups to leave ship

had our bus there in a few minutes and back home

Final thoughts

Destiny looks in good shape, is a pretty ship, I actually prefer the more "wow"

look of some other ships...I found this pretty generic and harder to remember which club was which etc

The dining room (Galaxy) is very pretty

the dining rooms shined.....every meal there was fantastic

food was probably ok on Lido but very crowded, huge lines

and the housekeeping is the worst I have seen...tons of dirty plates and

tables

Entertainment was fantastic on Destiny, shows, Blood Power....wonderful

Staff was friendly and helpful for the most part....everything ran smoothly

we had towel animals every night, room cleaned 2x a day, the waiters were fantastic, Ikehut and Suchret, bartenders were good *except for the aft pool bar

Pizza was just fair IMHO...but deli was excellent

The biggest snaful I saw were the lines, the messy lido, and the wimpy waiter. I think Carnival should put up bigger signs and enforce those signs

every waiter should be ready to enforce the rules too. I enjoy laying out in a more quiet area, with HOT hot tubs, NO smoke, and NO kids jumping and running around.

I loved the Serenity area on Imagination and look forward to sailing her and want to sail Carnival more

All in all this was a fantastic cruise. I really enjoyed myself

Hi..well leaving the ship is the saddest thing

I definitely agree!

Thanks for your review - I will be on this ship/itinerary 2/4/10 as the first part of a b2b, so I'm glad to hear that overall everything went well. I've sailed the Destiny in the past but that was before the "Adult" area. I do hope they have that under control by Feb:) As for Key West, I think we will order room service that morning and try to avoid the crowded buffet and mass exodus off the ship. (These tidbits are why I love reading reviews!) We will also be going to Mr. Sanchos. Would you mind answering a few questions about it? What time did you arrive and how late could you stay? What was the range of pricing on the restaurant menu? Were taxis easily available when you decided to leave? According to our itinerary we are expected to be in Cozumel from 1pm to 10pm. Is this comparable to when you were there?

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip:) I am really looking forward to ours:D

Thanks again for the review.

Linda

Archived