What Is The Fee For The Internet

I was hoping to see an answer to kbtb's question: do you need to have your own ISP with dial-up access to access the internet from your cabin? I have a cable modem at home and use a university network at work, so I'm not set up with a dial-up ISP. My laptop is equipped with a dial-up modem, though. Do I need to get an AOL or Earthlink account or something similar to use the in-room internet on Serenade of the Seas?

Thanks,

Susan

I was hoping to see an answer to kbtb's question: do you need to have your own ISP with dial-up access to access the internet from your cabin? I have a cable modem at home and use a university network at work, so I'm not set up with a dial-up ISP. My laptop is equipped with a dial-up modem, though. Do I need to get an AOL or Earthlink account or something similar to use the in-room internet on Serenade of the Seas?

Thanks,

Susan

I was on Adventure and we had internet hook up in our room and they provided the ISP. I did NOT need AOL or such.

John

Just returned yesterday from the Navigator, Eastern Caribbean itinerary. As someone in a previous post mentioned, it's possible to prepay for an alloted number of minutes to get access for 42 cents per minute or 33 cents per minute. You make this decision every time you log-on with your SeaPass card.

The Crown & Anchor Society gold members get a 10-minute coupon, so assuming you're a married couple you'll receive 20 free minutes - a $10 value. ONE IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THESE COUPONS...... you have to turn them in to Guest Relations on the day that you used the internet access. I didn't notice this the first time and ended-up paying $5 for an internet session that I assumed would be free! :mad:

St Maarten - we walked past a couple of internet cafes in the shopping district. These aren't really cafes in the American sense of the word - they're just a room with internet terminals. I didn't inquire about the price.

Nassau - after you get off of the ship and are forced through the "marketplace"/ tourist trap, turn right and walk along the street that is right next to the water. This street leads directly past the straw market at dead-ends into Senor Frogs. Before you get to the straw market, you'll see a couple of small pedestrian-only street/alleys lined with shops on your left. I saw two internet cafes there. One of them was $3 for 30 minutes or $5 for an hour. For the one we went to, you have to use all of your time at once - you can't logoff and return later in the day. We paid $3 for the 30 minutes and were both able to catch-up on all of our e-mails with some time to spare. The connection was just as fast as our cable connection in Cincinnati.

Connection speed - the ship's connection is slower than what those of you who use broadband are used to. This is to be expected, since they're receiving their signal via satellite. For those of you who use Hotmail, here's an example - I logged-on, found the specific e-mail that I was looking for in a list of about 30 e-mails, clicked on it, read it, replied to it by typing 2 sentences and sent it. That took 6 minutes!

robinzhere, I don't even think a credit card was an option - I paid in cash. Once I paid, the girl gave me a little scrap of paper with a code on it. I sat down at a computer, typed in the code, and I had internet access. I don't remember the name of it, but to get to it from the street, you'll walk past a souvenir stand, a men's clothing store, and an icecream shop.

Archived