Western Carribean in July

a1moty

We are looking at a western carribean cruise in July....

Is there anything I should be aware of---ie: traditional bad weather, etc.

What is the best port to depart from? We are pretty much newbies to the cruise vacation----so any advice will be appreciated. :cool:

Just be aware that it is :eek: HOT :eek: everywhere in the Caribbean in July. We have stopped cruising there then for that reason and that it is school vacation time and too many kids/young families on board, at least for us.

I would recommend the Canada/New England cruise in the summer and Caribbean in the fall/winter/spring. ;)

Our last cruise was mid July to the Western. Very hot but you expect that in July. Barely a drop of rain and very smooth sailing. Just pack a couple of swimsuits and bring the lotion. Cool drinks are available by the pool. Does it get any better than that. Enjoy.

In addition to what Peaches posted, there are less choices of ships in July due to the transfer of many ships to Alaska for the summer. Since you apparantly need air travel, your best bet would likely be Fort Lauderdale. Suggest looking at the HAL web site and see what's available.

Happy cruising.....

Thanks for your advice.....

I did expect it to be hot....and was wondering about the H word---(hurricanes)

I didn't know when they start arriving (thought is was August/September). Being from UTAH we don't get many of those here.

The kid issue is important--I love (well behaved) children--however,children running wild is a concern--sadly, summer is also my vacation time since I work in the public school system...

We are looking for good scuba diving spots---any chance Canada/New England

offers that? (I am a dreamer) A change in itin for safety reasons would certainly not be a problem....I'd still be on a cruise.

Is a passport necessary in the Carribean?

:cool:

I also work for the public schools and last summer took my daughter and her friend on a western caribbean cruise (the Zuiderdam). Although it was in the 80's and a bit humid, we didn't find that to be too warm at all. We went the last week of June, which shouldn't be much different from early July. I would recommend going as early as possible (with the exception of the 4th of July weekend which might be a hassle to fly on). You might also be interested to look into Holland America's discounts for teachers. I got a very good rate through their Community Appreciation fares for teachers, firefighters and police officers. You can get this fare through travel agents or directly through HAL. It is only valid on select sailings however.

You are travelling during hurricane season. Your itin may change for safety reasons. But ensure you have sunscreen and hats.

While it is hurricane season your chances of a hurricane in July are minimal.

I just started looking today at caribbean cruises on HAL and have only found the Zuiderdam doing the caribbean in the summer.

Bill

Thanks for your advice.....

I did expect it to be hot....and was wondering about the H word---(hurricanes)

I didn't know when they start arriving (thought is was August/September). Being from UTAH we don't get many of those here.

The kid issue is important--I love (well behaved) children--however,children running wild is a concern--sadly, summer is also my vacation time since I work in the public school system...

We are looking for good scuba diving spots---any chance Canada/New England

offers that? (I am a dreamer) A change in itin for safety reasons would certainly not be a problem....I'd still be on a cruise.

Is a passport necessary in the Carribean?

:cool:

We have done the Carribean in July and early Aug and had no problems with weather, we actually had no rain at all on either cruise. We were with our kids once and without then once, and there did not seem to be a hugh problem with wild kids.

One thing I can tell you for sure the water in New England in summer is still cold,we have a summer place in RI and the water is never warm.

Take suntan lotion and hat and have a great time, I would look towards late June, rates are better and maybe less kids,

Nancy

a1moty - I think a passport is much easier to use than a certified birth certificate/driver's license combo....makes immigration etc. go a bit faster. Plus if you get hooked on cruising like we did after our first cruise, you're set to go! Have fun!

We were on the Zuiderdam July 24th sailing and yes it is hurricane season but everytime you go anywhere in life it is a risk. We had wonderful weather and although it was hot it was not uncomfortable. We live in Seattle so we were looking for HOT!!!

Best places fro snorkeling, was Cozumel we did a private company and enjoyed it a lot and Grand Cayman rented a car and did our own thing from beaches around the Island.

The only downfall to our trip was that there were a lot of children (we do not have any) and noone seemed to pay attention to them. ALso during the adult swim hours (2:00-4:00) there were more children in the pool than the adults :(

We found by doing the later seating for dinner most of the kids were already getting ready for bed so our dinenrs were quiet.

You will enjoy your trip no matter what!

Archived