Simple question: Which is better for snorkeling, Belize or Roatan?

Mr. Finney

Check out this thread about the Legend and snorkeling, with pix and comments about that very question.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1057414

I personally think Roatan is better just because it is easier to get to, but why not do both?

Thanks, great information! As to your question, we were thinking about the Pirates of the Caribbean Zipline in Roatan but I've read so much about how great the snorkeling is, I'm re-thinking that. Too bad we have such a short time in port :(

Thanks, great information! As to your question, we were thinking about the Pirates of the Caribbean Zipline in Roatan but I've read so much about how great the snorkeling is, I'm re-thinking that. Too bad we have such a short time in port :(

You can Zip Line darn near anywhere, but there are very few islands that match the snorkeling at Roatan.

It's great either from shore (Tabyana Beach for example) or by boat (Anthony's Key Resort).

Your ship will probably offer a Tabyana Beach "tour". That's convenient. You will have a guide to orient you with the reef, and you have flex time.

There will be frequent shuttles, about every 1/2 hour, returning to the ship.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g944573-d1048436-Reviews-Tabyana_Beach-West_Bay_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

Anthony's is often the ship's contractor. Excellent equipment, first rate guides. NOT a cattle boat experience.

http://www.anthonyskey.com/en/index.html

Yes the short port day is lousy.. We sailed the Legend last year and it really stinks being in port for such a short day with so much to do.

I have seen zip line and beach tours. I think the zip line ends up near a beach at the bottom. So you may be able to do both:)

We will be there next month on the Legend, on a beach at a resort with our dive gear ready to get in a dive or 2 and then relax. We zip lined last year and skipped the water:(:(. Won't do THAT again.

I think Anthony Keys has a private island very near the cruise port that looks nice, you can see the ship from the island. I am sure they have a desk at the port that can get you there. It used to be called Fins and Flippers but they have changed the name. I sure you can find it w/search.

• 3 months later...

Definitely Roatan for Snorkeling and zip line in Belize having done both in both places. The Belize zip line is a good drive inland as its up in the mtns, but it was scenic once you cleared Belize City.

Having stayed at Anthony's Key its a nice choice as they chum the waters plus you have the dolphin options, but there are others too.

I think Anthony Keys has a private island very near the cruise port that looks nice, you can see the ship from the island. I am sure they have a desk at the port that can get you there. It used to be called Fins and Flippers but they have changed the name. I sure you can find it w/search.

I think Fins and Flippers is now called Maya Key (read that on the Roatan board). See http://www.mayakeyroatan.com

Hope that helps!

Archived