Dubai - Prescription Medications

We have sailed on Seabourn for many years and I never came across this before: We are booked on Pride for the 17 Nov. departure from Dubai to Singapore. We fly nonstop from SFO and arrive in Dubai late on 16 Nov. to transit to the ship the next day. I happened across a traveler's advisory from the U.S. Embassy in the UAE: The UAE permits virtually no importation of prescription medication, as well as certain over-the-counter meds, such as cold pills and cough syrup, even in limited quantities for personal use. The list of prohibited medications contains over 400 items. Violators are subject to imprisonment. A travel web site indicates that UAE customs makes more than a perfunctory search of luggage and that the inspectors have immediate access to the Physicians Desk Reference (PDR) to check brand names against prohibited generics. I am a post-op heart transplant patient and must take many prescription drugs twice daily. Sure enough most of these drugs are on the prohibited list, although why anyone would abuse this type of drug beats me. The Embassy web site indicates that an exception is made for short term travelers with an original notarized prescription, certified by the county clerk, secertary of state of the traveler's home state and the U.S. Secretary of State. For openers, if I could get my overburdened family physician to appear before a notary, I could probably solve the health care crisis. My T/A called Seabourn. They were of no help. She then called the UAE Embassy in Washington and was told that an original prescription, together with a letter from my doctor explaining my medical conditions and why the prescription medications are necessary for treatment would suffice. This exception apparently applies only to short stays in Dubai and is not contained in writing anywhere. If this works, I will see you aboard Pride on 17 November. If this does not work, you can contact me c/o the Dubai jail.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Perhaps if you have that huge scar after heart surgery (depends on procedure, of course), you can open your shirt for proof. Of course, then you risk the chance of being arrested for indecent exposure.

I have been to Dubai and just took pills in a pill box, but that was a few years ago. Now I do carry original prescriptions along with a copy of my EKG and my eyeglass prescription just in case, tucked in my yellow immunization booklet. Haven't needed it....yet.

Dear 1938

My wife and I are on the same cruise and I also use medicines daily.

Please read what the OFFICIAL SITE OF MINISTRY OF HEALTH UAE says.

http://www.moh.gov.ae/en/Page_987.aspx#3

quote:

Individuals may bring medicine into the country for their personal use.

Up to three months supply of a prescription item can be brought into the the country.

unqoute.

So please don't worry. Looking forward to meet you.

Best regards,

Pieter

I think you are right. Your info is consistent with that given to my T/A by the UAE Embassy -- but I believe (as indicated in my post) that you need an original prescription and doctor's letter. The link you sent refers readers to another link (Controlled Drug Guidelines) for further info that for some reason I can't open. Bottom line I think we will be o.k. with the documents indicated by the Embassy.

Archived