Downgraded By Carnival Beware

ICEMAN1941

My Wife And I Booked And Paid For A Catagory 8a One Year Ago On The Carnival Miracle Upon Receipt Of Our Documents We Were Downgraded To A 7a. Travel Agents Tells Us Carnival Did It Carnival Will Not Do Anything About It Even Though A Contract Existed And Still Exists. That Is Some Way To Do Business Beware Of Them I Guarantee You I Will Never Do Business With Them Again.

They Returned The Difference In Price I Paid Big Deal. Great Reputation They Have Now.

I am not saying the OP does not have a right to be upset... however, this is his first post, and it might be helpful to others to give information regarding this situation. Dates? Reasoning? Cabin info? Etc. There must be a reason... even if it is a lame one, it would be interesting to know, especially for those of us that are booked on the Miracle.

In most cases like this it's the TA fault and NOT Carnival's. You might want to call Carnival directly to find out. Don't take no for an answer keep calling until someone gives you the info you want.

Several months ago, when I wasnt familiar with Carnival Catagories... I booked a bl guarantee. Someone mentioned a view of a lifeboat, and I phoned my Carnival pvp and asked. He put my mind at ease when he told me "your ok, your an 8a, 7a is a different catagory and you cannot go down in catagory, only up". Sorry Iceman, but perhaps you should call Carnival and explain you thought you were getting an 8a. Perhaps you booked at 7a at the begining when you put down deposit?

I would be upset also, but I would:

1) phone and try to get squared away, pay extra if have/want to.

2) keep in mind, you get what you pay for.

3) be nice & calm when speaking to them, you will be amazed...

Most of all go, and have a good time ... it's what you make of it. RELAX!

Please dont bring me down!!! LOL I'm 7 days away from at least an 8A. That is what I expect, and paid for. My PVP told me that you cannot be downgraded, only Upgraded. Can they do that to you like at the Pier?

I'm interested too.

last week I read a post on the X boards. It seems that Celebrity overbooked a certain category or something and called the person and asked them if they'd take a downgrade from a balcony to an ocean view for a 75% discount...the poster decided to take the offer, although he didn't have to. He was given the option.

I would hope that Carnival would handle this kind of situation in the same manner. To just give the person the difference in the cost, after this person had the cruise booked for a year is very bad business. They should give him something as a token for the inconvenience. I hope there is more to this story.

I just tried to find the thread and I can't!!!!!

These are the reasons that I am thinking this may be a mistake made by the TA... but without further details, I guess we won't know :rolleyes: From what I have seen, when something happens like this, Carnival will do what it takes and would try to "upgrade" the PAX.... unless this was a charter situation, or something of that nature. If the TA made a mistake and the sailing is full, then I can see the "downgrade" Let's hope the OP comes back and fills in the blanks!

I'm curious too. I'm sure the OP did pay for an 8A with the TA. My question is did the TA actually screw up and book them a 7A and blame it on Carnival. Of course, if you book through a TA, Carnival won't talk to you without the TA's permission so getting info can be difficult, but it can be done.

Can they do that to you like at the Pier?

I saw it happen a few months ago but worse.People paid for a 8a Balcony and got an inside cabin cabin and the difference back in cost. This is rare:D but it does happen.At least he had a cabin still.

I would probably still sail, but I would be the passenger from hell. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I wonder when they give you the $$ back,where do they get the figures from?The difference from what an 8A to a 7A is computed from what?

STeve

I would probably still sail, but I would be the passenger from hell. :mad: :mad: :mad:

STeve

I'm not surprised. :rolleyes:

Don't you realize that this is why you have a 'cloud' over your head????

I would hope if you were that pissed you'd get off at the first port and take Carnival up on their guarantee. I wouldn't want you on my ship. :eek:

Maybe.........Carnival did call the TA and the TA excepted this change.

I wonder if beside the difference in money did Carnival give anything else that the TA will/is keeping, such as a big discount on another cruise.

My TA would never tell me, sorry Carnival did this there is nothing I could do. I think my TA would fight with Carnival about this(at least I hope he would).

Contract is with Carnival, but isn't there a contract between the Ta and the buyer also.

I'm not surprised. :rolleyes:

Don't you realize that this is why you have a 'cloud' over your head????

I would hope if you were that pissed you'd get off at the first port and take Carnival up on their guarantee. I wouldn't want you on my ship.

I agree with you,I wouldn't want me on my ship either, but I do have a high level of self restraint and pre-meditated actions that I always inform the other party that they should get law enforcement or security over because we are going to have an issue.:D

The problem with the guarantee is they do not cover the cost of my initial airfare to the port and back home,so I would be out a $1000. As one post pointed out, they contracted for a cat 8, so would this cat 7 (not travel contracted for or insured for) allow travel insurance to kick in and cover the cost's???

Then again,I am usually in the lowest cat anyway, so my beef would be that I ended up in the engine room.:D

Steve

Again, doubtful cruise insurance would cover this... unless you had Travel Guard and bought it within 15 days of deposit, and had the stip that you could cancel for whatever reason... other than that, I don't see how this would be covered by insurance.

I guess the OP jumped on, posted this and then disappeared quickly, LOL... we may never know the details... but speculation is fun :D

You could always try to dispute it with the credit card company.. but since the OP is MIA, we have no clue... I would imagine that if this was indeed a Carnival issue (again, we don't know) then they would allow him to cancel and get a refund, so there would be no dispute necessary...

Archived