Tampa Diving

CaribQween

Devils Den looks beautiful. It will be my first dive after certification. Can't wait for class to start. lol

They have a Devil's Den and Blue Grotto combo tour and we just can't wait to dive those. We're so excited. And I know exactly how you feel about wanting class to start. We've only been certified for about 3 weeks. We've been diving on our own each weekend since, but it is in quarries since we live in Indianapolis :rolleyes:. But, we signed up for the Advanced Open Water Course for mid October and we can't wait until that class starts. Once it gets too cold to dive here, we'll be going crazy waiting for our trip in February. We're so looking forward to the manatee tour and all of the dives we have planned for the caverns there at Crystal River and Rainbow River. We're going to take the Drift Diving Specialty Course there and then even do a night drift dive to prepare for our cruise which is right afterwards when we'll be going to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. We're hoping the drift diving at Rainbow River will somewhat prepare us for some drift diving in Cozumel. But we're just really so excited about it all. We may add in the Boat Diving Specialty Course while we're there also. It's just really exciting taking the next course and the next course and...well, you get my meaning :D. Happy Diving!!!

I'm a spoiled Floridian so my OW class is at Crystal River. I hope the drift diving at Crystal River works out too. We're doing the same itin in Jan.

When we were there, Crystal River was not very clear. Viz was maybe 20'. In the same afternoon at Rainbow River, the viz was probably >150', very clear.

I think we've decided on diving Blue Grotto and Devil's Den on our first afternoon with possibly a night dive. Then the next day we'll do the morning Manatee tour at Crystal River with the Cavern dive afterwards. And in the afternoon, we're going to take the drift diving specialty course at Rainbow River so we'll have some experience when we get to Cozumel. We are considering using either American Pro Diving Center or Adventure Diving.

When we were at Rainbow River, we happened to see a group of divers led by American Pro (saw their boat in front of them). But a bit further down, we saw one "lost" diver by himself, without a SMB. This probably was a lost diver from that group. It looked like a new diver, because he did look uncomfortable, and was using hands to swim/wave in the water. My DM said he's actually seen that a few times that American Pro takes a large group and lost divers behind and don't realize it till very late, which puts that diver in danger.

I don't know if it was true it happened often, but at least we saw that one.

Thank you for all of the information you provided, especially on the dive ops you've used. That willl be very helpful.

In Grand Cayman, we definitely wanted to do the swimming with the stingrays at Stingray City but we were trying to figure out how to squeeze in a dive there also. The shore diving at Eden Rock is a great idea. We had been slightly leary of shore diving until we get a little more experience just because we haven't gotten any experience yet in the ocean or any saltwater bodies of water, and we weren't sure how difficult shore diving would be with the currents and all.

After I wrote the last post, I figured out that the "Manatee Snorkel/Dive Tour" was only snorkeling with the manatees, and the dive is a cavern dive afterwards". But that's okay, I'm happy with just the opportunity to see them and get in the water with them. And the dives look so cool. We were looking at Devil's Den last night and I would really love to give that a try. Of course all of those you mentioned look really cool. We'll have to figure out how to just pick a couple, at least for this trip :D. Thanks again for the info. Every little tidbit helps.

I would recommend a wall dive while you're in Grand Cayman. It's world class diving. I think you would regret missing the chance. You can probably find a shop that would do a second dive at stingray city. It's nice with tanks because you can sit on the sandy bottom and let them swarm around you instead of snorkeling on the surface. The viewing is much better from the bottom.

A stingray tried to suck the mask off my friend while we were there. The mouths are like little hover vacuums. Very cool.

I would recommend a wall dive while you're in Grand Cayman. It's world class diving. I think you would regret missing the chance. You can probably find a shop that would do a second dive at stingray city. It's nice with tanks because you can sit on the sandy bottom and let them swarm around you instead of snorkeling on the surface. The viewing is much better from the bottom.

A stingray tried to suck the mask off my friend while we were there. The mouths are like little hover vacuums. Very cool.

Think of the letter U. The west wall is to the left of the U. Stingray City is in the middle. Unless the dive op does the first dive at the north wall, at the top of the left U, then there may be a chance they can do the 2nd dive at Stingray city.

If the boat does a morning dive at the west wall, they won't go all the way around the top of the U, then to Stingray City.

I tried to ask around myself when we were goign to G Cayman. No luck.

When we were at Rainbow River, we happened to see a group of divers led by American Pro (saw their boat in front of them). But a bit further down, we saw one "lost" diver by himself, without a SMB. This probably was a lost diver from that group. It looked like a new diver, because he did look uncomfortable, and was using hands to swim/wave in the water. My DM said he's actually seen that a few times that American Pro takes a large group and lost divers behind and don't realize it till very late, which puts that diver in danger.

I don't know if it was true it happened often, but at least we saw that one.

It's definitely something to keep in mind. I appreciate the heads-up. We have really been looking at Adventure Diving too. We recently joined our local dive club and we have our first big event/dive in a couple of weeks, so we're going to ask everyone who they have used also. They've taken quite a few trips down there from what I've heard. We've got limited time when we're gonna be there and want to cram an awful lot of dives in :D, so I'm going to call around to see what everyone can accomodate as well as to see how large the groups are they take out. Hoping to find someone who sticks with small groups and has a good reputation.

Think of the letter U. The west wall is to the left of the U. Stingray City is in the middle. Unless the dive op does the first dive at the north wall, at the top of the left U, then there may be a chance they can do the 2nd dive at Stingray city.

If the boat does a morning dive at the west wall, they won't go all the way around the top of the U, then to Stingray City.

I tried to ask around myself when we were goign to G Cayman. No luck.

I've seen some posts on CC that say they've done a 2 dive combo that included the wall as the deep dive and stingray city as the shallow dive, but we haven't found someone who does it yet. We may be just setting up a wall dive for the morning and a swim/snorkel with the stingrays tour for the afternoon.

We're definitely trying to set up a wall dive. You're right, we don't want to miss that. I'd be happy with either a swim/snorkel with the stingrays or a dive with the stingrays. I think we can fit them both in even if we set them up separately instead of it being a combo tour.

I've seen some posts on CC that say they've done a 2 dive combo that included the wall as the deep dive and stingray city as the shallow dive, but we haven't found someone who does it yet. We may be just setting up a wall dive for the morning and a swim/snorkel with the stingrays tour for the afternoon.

Resort Sports LTD. used to offer this excursion.I did it once on Princess and once on NCL. The last time was 2005. I don't know if they still do it but you can check and see.The North Wall is an advanced dive and you needed and advanced certification to participate. The reef are was 65-70 feet.Then we went through Eagle Ray Pass and came out on the Wall at about 100 feet.This area has a sheer 500 foot drop--not the place to be learning proper bouyancy control ! The second dive was at Sting Ray City and maxed out at about 18 feet.Resort Sports ran a good operation and did not babysit you---let you dive your computer limits on the Wall.Overall it was a great expereince that I would certainly do again.

PS: I love diving Blue Grotto and Devil's Den. If you go to the deep cavern at the Grotto, watch your fin kicks.There is a lot of silt down there that can easily be kicked up and then you will be learnig all about "silt outs" at 100 feet in an overhead enviroment--can get real nasty-real quick.I use a modified frog kick when down there and have no trouble.Hope this helps.

Resort Sports LTD. used to offer this excursion.I did it once on Princess and once on NCL. The last time was 2005. I don't know if they still do it but you can check and see.The North Wall is an advanced dive and you needed and advanced certification to participate. The reef are was 65-70 feet.Then we went through Eagle Ray Pass and came out on the Wall at about 100 feet.This area has a sheer 500 foot drop--not the place to be learning proper bouyancy control ! The second dive was at Sting Ray City and maxed out at about 18 feet.Resort Sports ran a good operation and did not babysit you---let you dive your computer limits on the Wall.Overall it was a great expereince that I would certainly do again.

PS: I love diving Blue Grotto and Devil's Den. If you go to the deep cavern at the Grotto, watch your fin kicks.There is a lot of silt down there that can easily be kicked up and then you will be learnig all about "silt outs" at 100 feet in an overhead enviroment--can get real nasty-real quick.I use a modified frog kick when down there and have no trouble.Hope this helps.

Thank you!! I just checked the Resort Sport Ltd website and they are offering the North Wall and Stingray City 2 tank dive. I do appreciate you giving me the caution on the North Wall too. We will have our Advanced Certification and will be doing a good deal of diving prior to our cruise, but it certainly won't be enough to make us seasoned veterans. We're pretty cautious divers and I don't know that we would be comfortable doing it without having a divemaster with us, but I'll give them a call and see what they can offer. And of course, thanks again for the caution on the fin kicks at Blue Grotto and Devil's Den. We definitely want to do both of these and are trying to plan everything so we can fit them in. I've heard a lot of people say how much they love diving there. We're very excited about it.

Thank you very much for all of the info. I've already started doing some research and I think we'll more than likely follow your advice. The gulf coast beaches sound nice, but diving in the springs and caverns sounds just magnificent and frankly, just too good to pass up. I would actually really also love to do a Manatee snorkel/dive tour while we're there too. I just want to take advantage of it all while we're there and have the opportunity. Once my husband sees the pictures, I don't think he'll be able to pass it up either.

I have to say, the Mt. Carmel Church Cemetary sounds very cool also. I hope to make it there someday to check it out too.

Just a little FYI: I got to dive the Mt. Carmel Church Cemetery today with my good friend Bill Routh, owner of Off the Wall Charters.Bill was shooting video of the Cemetery for the History Channels "Life After People".The video looks great and I can't wait to see the upcoming episode when it airs. Tomorrow Bill is going to shoot the Atakula Lodge (old bed and breakfast) 300 Feet down under Lake Jocassee.

The Cemetery was thrilling as always with very little ambient light on a clowdy day.Water temp was a COLD 49 degrees with vis of about 30-35 feet---max depth was 129 feet today--lake is down 9 feet from full pond.This dive should be on everyone's "bucket list". It is so peaceful down there.

Just a little FYI: I got to dive the Mt. Carmel Church Cemetery today with my good friend Bill Routh, owner of Off the Wall Charters.Bill was shooting video of the Cemetery for the History Channels "Life After People".The video looks great and I can't wait to see the upcoming episode when it airs. Tomorrow Bill is going to shoot the Atakula Lodge (old bed and breakfast) 300 Feet down under Lake Jocassee.

The Cemetery was thrilling as always with very little ambient light on a clowdy day.Water temp was a COLD 49 degrees with vis of about 30-35 feet---max depth was 129 feet today--lake is down 9 feet from full pond.This dive should be on everyone's "bucket list". It is so peaceful down there.

That really does sound very cool. I would really love to get there to do that one of these days. I'm going to keep an eye out for when that airs on the History Channel.

When we were there, Crystal River was not very clear. Viz was maybe 20'. In the same afternoon at Rainbow River, the viz was probably >150', very clear.

I meant Rainbow River. My checkout dives are at Rainbow River and Weeki Wachee not Crysta River.

Archived