cruise Air experience

old grump

Hi oldgrump,

We also booked a Tauck river cruise for 2010 and have booked our own airfare because we like to have control over our routing. The pick up and return to the airports are included with Tauck even if you do your own air. We are staying at one of the hotels they are using before we board the ship. Since we have no control over weather conditions or flight delays, we always go in a day earlier.

Sheila

Thanks, good point! I will wait til fares for this flght window are posted and compare. I think Tauck Air would have to be a lot cheaper for me to take them. I just received my air arrangements from Regent for the Rio-FLL cruise and really got a bad flight vs the one I was promised(not in writing:(), But the $999 bus fare makes up for a lot.

Thanks, good point! I will wait til fares for this flght window are posted and compare. I think Tauck Air would have to be a lot cheaper for me to take them. I just received my air arrangements from Regent for the Rio-FLL cruise and really got a bad flight vs the one I was promised(not in writing:(), But the $999 bus fare makes up for a lot.

Unless you are flying business class, $1000 is not a particularly good fare. I am a frequent SA business traveler who does international logistics planning for a living. There were fares to Rio from MIA in the low 500's this summer for winter travel. And a flight from Arkansas to MIA sure won't cost $500.00 if purchased properly.

Please read through the first few pages of this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

Will explain EXACTLY how cruise air works, why it is RARELY a good idea, and exactly how the cruise ships DO NOT have to protect you in the least. It is in the cruise contracts-the cruise lines book air, shore excursions, hotels, transfers, etc. etc. as a CONVENIENCE for their passengers. They are allowed to make a profit on YOUR air tickets, they generally buy bulk consolidator tickets which are NO GOOD on another airline if your flight glitches out and they have NO liability for the actions of third party vendors.

T $999 was biz class and was much better than I could manage even considering the add $1000 cruise air credit if I booked on my own. The original promised flight was LIt-ATL-GIG. What I got was LIT-DFW-MIA-GIG. Still biz but with extra stop in airport I dislike.:( You are right, they had a block of tickets prepurchased and ran out.

T $999 was biz class and was much better than I could manage even considering the add $1000 cruise air credit if I booked on my own. The original promised flight was LIt-ATL-GIG. What I got was LIT-DFW-MIA-GIG. Still biz but with extra stop in airport I dislike.:( You are right, they had a block of tickets prepurchased and ran out.

That's a heck of a price for a business class ticket. $1663.00pp is the cheapest AA discounted business class fare available today. Sounds like you wanted the Delta flights and got the AA flights. You will be flying on a 763, two class plane with 160 degree seats. I fly AA/OneWorld over 100,000 miles per year. I can sleep very comfortably on those seats. But some larger people report they are uncomfortable for them. If you have never been in them, the AA lounges in DFW/MIA are very nice. Enjoy!!!!

Archived