Buying Snorkel Gear-HELP!!!

UnknowingCruiser521

Hi, DH and I are going on the 12/20 Ruby Princess to the Caribbean, We will be snorkeling on at least 3 of our shore excursions. I've seen a lot of posts about buying your own gear. I was just wondering if it had to be a certain kind, and could we buy just the mask and snorkel, and still have the fins and vest provided to us? (Maybe just the vest.) Also, what gear would you recommend?

Hello, We just bought all our gear not too long ago,(about a month or so). I will suggest you go to a dive shop even if it means you have to travel to get there. We had to go about 1 1/2 hours one way to go but so worth it. We tried on many masks before we each got the right one. Some ppl just buy the snorkel, some choose the snorkel and mask, and some buy everything. We bought everything. If you don't have a good fit for the mask, you'll spend your snorkel time re-adjusting your mask rather then enjoying your time snorkeling.

Hello, We just bought all our gear not too long ago,(about a month or so). I will suggest you go to a dive shop even if it means you have to travel to get there. We had to go about 1 1/2 hours one way to go but so worth it. We tried on many masks before we each got the right one. Some ppl just buy the snorkel, some choose the snorkel and mask, and some buy everything. We bought everything. If you don't have a good fit for the mask, you'll spend your snorkel time re-adjusting your mask rather then enjoying your time snorkeling.

I totally agree with this. The mask is the most important. If it leaks it will take away from your experience. That is something you definately don't want to skimp on.

I would also suggest going to a dive shop rather than Sports Authority or Target or the like.

The straps that hold the mask (around the back of your head) are much better on the masks at the dive shops. They are made with a cloth-like material instead of cheap plastic. It makes a big difference (usually to the women) because the cloth straps don't get all tangled up in your hair.

I can just tell you my experience from St Thomas. We had our own epuipment.

When we went snorkeling in the BVI we didn't need/use and no vests were provided. When we went snorkeling in the USVI they were provided for us.

Label your equipment. My fins were the same as the ones provided by our tour. I was questioned a bit about them.

... DH and I have decided [...] we want to get the mask, snorkel, and fins.

DH and I made the same decision as you have, but I'll add that we wanted to be the only ones using the snorkel mouth-piece, even though the ones provided are "cleaned" between users. The only way you can guarantee that is to own your own.

About fins . . . they're cumbersome to travel with and you can probably get by with the ones tours operators provide but again, we love having our own wth us because we know they fit and never hurt. The only thing that *hurts* is when we have to make a *donation* to the airline for the extra suitcase. :rolleyes:

We only enjoy warm water diving. 7mm body suits or dry suits are not much fun IMO. I always stay at a hotel (if out of town) before boarding and make arrangements to ship our gear to the hotel via Fedx ground. It’s cheap and much less than the $$ the airlines want to charge you for an extra bag. The point about fins and the mask by CoolChile cannot be over-emphasized. Fins are bulky and do not travel well. A mask that is not comfortable will be both irritating and also leak. Don’t forget the antifog unless you enjoy looking through a haze. Straight blade fins are fine for snorkeling and are less $$ than split fins. A local reputable sports or dive shop is the best place to shop for both. A mask is like clothing you must try on – cannot do it on the internet; however, once you know what you want price compare with online shops – two very good shops with online services and superb prices are ScubaToys.com and Scuba.com. They also have inexpensive mesh bags to carry your gear in to and from the boat. As for the vest – I presume you mean a “floatation device” and not a 2mm vest to help keep you warm. Those are typically provided (if not mandated) by the tour guide. If they recognize you are certified or a fish in the water they usually let you take them off. I find them obnoxious personally. Have fun!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. From what DH and I have decided, we want to get the mask, snorkel, and fins. I know we have to have a vest too, but we don't want to buy that. Will they still provide us with the vest? :confused:

If you go on a snorkeling excursion, yes, you will be provided with a vest. But, there again is the issue that, like snorkel tubes, you have a tube to inflate the vest that others have put their mouths to. I bought my own flotation vest when we bought our equipment. It folds into a very small packet that takes up hardly any space in our luggage. I am not a strong swimmer, so I always wear a vest. It just increases my comfort level in the water.

I agree that adults in your party should go to a local dive shop and check out the equipment. Where I live you can rent similar gear before you buy also.

Once you find what you like you can always buy online but having a dive shop back up your purchase is a better idea.

For children Costco sells in some stores and online an USdivers set with a bag for the gear for a reasonable price. ($29-$35) They have adult sets also But I would only buy that if it was for once in awhile use. It is basic gear. $49-59 total.

I hope this helps.

:cool: gmc

I totally agree with this. The mask is the most important. If it leaks it will take away from your experience. That is something you definately don't want to skimp on.

Fit and comfort are your most important attributes when buying any equipment whether it be for scuba or snorkeling. And finding a mask that is right for you is definitely the hardest part. And unfortunately, finding a mask that fits in the store won't completely ensure that it will fit great in the water (therefore, no leaking). But it will give you the best shot at having something that works for you. We recently took up scuba diving and when we bought our equipment, we didn't want to skimp on anything because we knew we would really get a lot of use out of it all. We went into the dive shop prior to starting class and we tried on nearly every mask in the place. We followed the guidelines they give for finding a good fit and they helped us decide what would be good for us. The one I picked seemed to fit great in the store. But unfortunately, I've had problems with it ever since. It takes on water and when you're completely under water you have to clear it while you're down there. I've become a pro at doing that because I have to do it so much. It really doesn't even bother me that much anymore , but, truthfully, I'd rather not have to screw with that the whole time. But don't get me wrong, it doesn't necessarily mean that the mask is not a good one either. It is just not the one that is best for me. Everybody has a different shaped face and you need a mask that best fits to the contour of YOUR face. If you find one that works well for you, you'll definitely want to take it with you whenever you're going to be snorkeling.

And I agree that everyone should take a small travel-size bottle of defogger that you can use each time, right before getting in the water. You don't want to struggle with not being able to see the whole time you're out there. It will kill the experience altogether because there isn't much you can do (except try a little spit). We have to use the defogger EVERY single time we get in the water and doing it at home ahead of time doesn't help. All you have to do is put a little dab in the mask, rub it all over and then rinse it.

When it comes to fins, you want to make sure you have the size that fits you best so you don't get cramps and so they don't rub your feet the wrong way. If you buy adjustable strap fins, you might consider boots so the backstrap doesn't rub the back of your feet raw. We got split fins and they work very well.

For the snorkel, we got one that has the back-splash guard to keep water from entering the end of the snorkel if you go under completely. But honestly, the main reason for wanting your own on excurions is because you don't know how well they are cleaned in between uses. And masks and snorkels don't take up much room in your luggage. It is really just a matter of what is important to you when you decide what equipment you want to take with you. I personally would at a minimum take my own mask and snorkel.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Mazatlan a couple weeks ago and you had to have a vest to go snorkeling. They only had life vests on board, so you had to wear those around your waist. We had our own vests so we didn't have to worry about it. Small concern and I don't know how often it happens, but it was nice to have our own and they don't take much room. We didn't bring our own fins this time but we will next time, for fit and comfort. The fins we borrowed on both trips were uncomfortable and tired out my legs much, MUCH faster than my fins. Again, not a huge concern, but what the heck!

Vic

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest a dry snorkel with purge and a mask with a purge valve. I purchased mine at scuba.com. I originally had US diver mask and snorkel from Costco, but the seals failed over time. If you are uncomfortable without a vest, I would suggest purchasing one. I have been on some snorkel trips that do not supply them. Also, you can use it when you want to snorkel from the shore. I have a bright yellow one, similar to the one that scuba.com sells. It's light, dries quickly, and is easy to pack. Even if you don't add air, it makes it easier to spot each other in a group. I purchased fins, but found that most of the time it was easier just to use the fins on the boat. They are more difficult to pack, if you don't want to pay extra baggage fees.

Once you know what you want, I suggest JoeDiver.com to purchase. They are in Fla. and we have been very pleased with 4 sets we have bought. Definately go for the dry snorkle in case you do dive down for a look at something in the water.

Hi, DH and I are going on the 12/20 Ruby Princess to the Caribbean, We will be snorkeling on at least 3 of our shore excursions. I've seen a lot of posts about buying your own gear. I was just wondering if it had to be a certain kind, and could we buy just the mask and snorkel, and still have the fins and vest provided to us? (Maybe just the vest.) Also, what gear would you recommend?

We bought ours at sams club about 6 years ago and they have been great .we have used them maybe 20 times give or take a few. we are looking at some new ones for our next cruise . we usually just take ourmask and snorkel. less we have to carry the better. we have never had any problems with leaking or anything but if your not sure about fit , then definitely go to a dive shop. have fun.

Archived