NCL-Whale Watch Cruise in Cabo

STARFISH*4

First - the good news. There is a pretty good chance the whales will be there for you. They won't be the large numbers you see in late January to late February but it should still work out.

I have not used the ship excursion so I cannot comment directly on it. My guess is that they probably use one of the larger ships like the CaboRey for their excursions. It's a nice boat, but it's a big boat so it's a fair chance that you could have a lot of people on it.

Another option would be one of the fine Catamaran companies in Cabo. Pez Gato is our favorite. EcoCat, Tropicat, Rissalena, La Princessa are others with good reputations. We really like the catamarans for whale watching. Most hold from 30-70 passengers which is much smaller than the CaboRey. Another good "traditional" boat is SunRider. We've used them for a Sunset Dinner Cruise and they were great. Prices for booking independently should be much less. I'm guessing the pricing would be in the $35-$50 range per person.

All tours will include a trip out buy Lovers Beach, Divorce Beach (really just the other side), the famous arch (Finsterra), the other rock formations at Lands End, the sea lion colony, etc. The coastal cruise is kind of a freebee because you will be out there anyways looking for the whales. Generally, you will either cruise along the Pacific Side up towards where they filmed part of the movie "Troy" or you will go up into the Sea Of Cortez (Gulf of California). It really all depends upon where the whales seem to be hanging out.

All of the ships I mentioned have websites for info and booking.

Here are my whale watching pictures from Feb 2008 on the catamaran Pez Gato.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562535753iirWdb

First - the good news. There is a pretty good chance the whales will be there for you. They won't be the large numbers you see in late January to late February but it should still work out.

I have not used the ship excursion so I cannot comment directly on it. My guess is that they probably use one of the larger ships like the CaboRey for their excursions. It's a nice boat, but it's a big boat so it's a fair chance that you could have a lot of people on it.

Another option would be one of the fine Catamaran companies in Cabo. Pez Gato is our favorite. EcoCat, Tropicat, Rissalena, La Princessa are others with good reputations. We really like the catamarans for whale watching. Most hold from 30-70 passengers which is much smaller than the CaboRey. Another good "traditional" boat is SunRider. We've used them for a Sunset Dinner Cruise and they were great. Prices for booking independently should be much less. I'm guessing the pricing would be in the $35-$50 range per person.

All tours will include a trip out buy Lovers Beach, Divorce Beach (really just the other side), the famous arch (Finsterra), the other rock formations at Lands End, the sea lion colony, etc. The coastal cruise is kind of a freebee because you will be out there anyways looking for the whales. Generally, you will either cruise along the Pacific Side up towards where they filmed part of the movie "Troy" or you will go up into the Sea Of Cortez (Gulf of California). It really all depends upon where the whales seem to be hanging out.

All of the ships I mentioned have websites for info and booking.

Here are my whale watching pictures from Feb 2008 on the catamaran Pez Gato.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562535753iirWdb

Wow!!!! Amazing photos!

I am going to be cruising to Cabo in October & November.... What are the chances of me seeing a whale?

You have the odd chance of seeing a lone whale during your cruise. The main group hangs around Cabo from Dec - Mar with the best times being the end of January - end of February (my personal experience/opinion).

In the case of my pictures - that was in early February. It was a mom and her juvenile and she was trying to teach her youngster how to act like a proper whale. I think the youngster was winning that battle. It's also not unusual to see an adult male or two trying to show off and attract the attention of a female (not that we would ever do that).

I believe that Cabo whale activity is much different than Alaska whale watching. In Alaska, the main goal is feeding. In the Cabo area (actually 3 different lagoons north of Cabo) the main goal is reproduction. The lagoons are where the real action is supposed to take place but they are remote and at least a day or more away from Cabo. Cabo is still fun however.

Other creatures you will have a chance of seeing are of course the dolphins and also the giant manta ray which also launches itself out of the water. But for the whales - I'm afraid you will have to come back to Cabo around February for the best activity. Guess that means another darn cruise or even better - a land vacation to Cabo for a week.

THANKS SDPadre Fan for the info...i know about the other companies would LOVE to use them but from looking earlier the TIMEs wouldnt be GOOD but there will be OTHER times-OTHER stops in CABO...i just wanted to go see some whales...we saw before (dec) (feb)--YOUR PICs were AWESOME!!!

Thanks. Catching whales breaching is always difficult because you never know where or when it's going to happen. I got lucky this time.

Next time I may try shooting video and then doing a screen capture. Either that, or I need to get more proficient with burst shooting with my camera.

Archived