A few more questions about MSC Poesia

tamsam07

My questions are for Med sailings and not the Carribean.

I'd like to hear from people that have actually sailed on the Poesia so I know the definite answers.

1. Do they provide hair dryers? (I would like to have one less thing to pack)

2. The restaurant you eat at for dinner in the evenings has minimal choices on their menu. Do they set out different menus every night, or do they expect you to eat the same thing every night?

3. When you order a mixed drink or beer, can you walk about the ship with it or take it to your cabin?

4. If you purchase items on shore, does the ship have facilities to mail them to your home, or is it just for letters? What do most travellers do when they purchase things that can't be packed in a suitcase to take home?

Hi tamsam07

I know you said you wanted a respomse from someone who had sailed on the Poesia. I've sailed 9 times with MSC and am about to go on my 10th. The questions you have asked really are not specific to the Poesia at all - as these sorts of things don't vary from ship to ship.

So here goes with the answers

1.All cabins on all their ships have hairdryers (although the type varies)

2. Dinner menus are the same on all the ships. there are 6 courses with 4 or 5 choices for each course. There is an alaways available section that has spaghetti bolognese; grilled salmon, or chicken or beef. The menu is different each evening and features the specialities of a different Italian region - so no you will not be expected to eat the same food every evening

3. I've never tried taking a drink to my cabin (other than bottles of water). i have on many occasions carried a cocktial or other drink from a bar in to a restaurant and no one bothered about that. You definitely cannot take drinks in to the theatre and you also can't take drinks served in glass glasses out to the pool areas. Only drinks in plastic glasses are allowed out at and around the pools for safety reasons

4. I doubt that MSC will make arrangements to ship things home for you. If I buy to much whilst on holiday, I either take it on as hand baggage if I can, pay excess baggae for it or mail it myself from a local post office.

I appreciate your input always. I didn't know how much the ships differed from one another. The reason I asked about the menu is because on the virtual tour there is a menu you can look at. There were only like 3 items per each course. It is never mentioned that there is more than one menu, so of course we thought it would get pretty boring eating the same thing every night.....especially when nothing on that menu looked appealing to us. Is there some way to find out what is on the menu for the night before going to dinner?

I thought about taking my wares as carryon back home but worry about the extra fees I might incur. Do you get charged alot for excess carry on?

Hi again

They post the menus up at the entrance to the dining room. Not sure how far in advance they go up though. I'd also say the virtual tour one is not really representative if it only has 3 choices per course it is usually 4 or 5 for main courses. The appetizers have 3 choices, salad is just whatever the salad is for that day. Soup has 2 choices, and there is one pasta dish and one risotto dish each evening, I don't often do dessert but think there are 3 or 4.

if I think I'm going to buy a lot, a pre pay in advance for an extra bag. I mostly fly with BA and you don't get extra bags for carry on - just my carry on bag (any weight as long as it fits the dimensions and I can carry it) and my handbag (purse) which is always a big one and again can be any weight. I've often managed to bring onboard more than 2o kilos between the 2 carry ons! It is just as well I go to the gym regularly, so that i can still heft them up in to those overhead lockers without assistance!

if I think I'm going to buy a lot, a pre pay in advance for an extra bag. I mostly fly with BA and you don't get extra bags for carry on - just my carry on bag (any weight as long as it fits the dimensions and I can carry it) and my handbag (purse) which is always a big one and again can be any weight. I've often managed to bring onboard more than 2o kilos between the 2 carry ons! It is just as well I go to the gym regularly, so that i can still heft them up in to those overhead lockers without assistance!

We are flying Lufthansa and the carry-on you're allowed isn't very much, (Each piece of hand baggage may not be larger than 55 x 40 x 20 cm and may not weigh more than 8 kg.).The carry-on bag I have used for everywhere I travel is actually 50 30 x 27 cm. I'm worried that extra 7 cm of height is going to get me. However, no one has ever bothered to check the dimensions of my bag before, so I hope I can use it with no problems. I think I'm going to take a chance and see what happens. I completely forgot about taking advantage of the big purse! What a fabulous idea! I was wanting to travel as lightly as possible, but I want to bring some things back that might not fit in my luggage or other carry-on (I want to buy a Turkish tea set in Istanbul). I'm also going to inquire about advance payment of extra carry-on.

AmoMondo, you are such a wealth of information. I just can't thank you enough for your help. It is truly appreciated. We leave this Thursday and I am soooooo excited and nervous as well. I can't wait to come back and post about our exciting travels.

Tamsam07, you are very welcome. I may not often need help or advise with MSC but i certainly bug other people with questions on the ports of call section!

One word of caution about your carry on bag - in Europe it is quite common for the airport or the airline to have a meatl crate thing the exact size of the dimensions of the bag you are allowed. they make you place your bag in it and if it doesn't fit, you are not allowed it. They don't make any allowance for the fact the other dimensions may be less than the maximum. Also if Lufthansa weigh carry on - they may also weigh purses too. Another neat trick of mine is that I put small heavy objects like cameras and jewellrey rolls in my coat pockets (they never weigh you or coats thank goodness). Once I'm past the checkin - i stuff them back in my purse or carry on!

Hope you have a wonderful trip and i look forward to hearing all about it when you get back.

Archived