Can I do this? (scuba cert)

rednose83

I'm considering becoming scuba certified. I don't normally get in the water (very scared) and have like full on panic attacks when going canoeing but I think I can get through this.

On our Jan cruise, Stephen and I attempted the discovery scuba dive in Costa Maya, Mexico. I didn't finish but I DID get in the water (and I had to do a freaking back flip to accomplish this!) and stayed under water for the training session before I freaked out!

Then last month, I was able to actually complete a SNUBA experience in St. Thomas which is pretty similar to scuba but not as deep.

Has anyone been terrified to dive then got certified and became comfortable diving?

I'm considering becoming scuba certified. I don't normally get in the water (very scared) and have like full on panic attacks when going canoeing but I think I can get through this.

On our Jan cruise, Stephen and I attempted the discovery scuba dive in Costa Maya, Mexico. I didn't finish but I DID get in the water (and I had to do a freaking back flip to accomplish this!) and stayed under water for the training session before I freaked out!

Then last month, I was able to actually complete a SNUBA experience in St. Thomas which is pretty similar to scuba but not as deep.

Has anyone been terrified to dive then got certified and became comfortable diving?

It may take a little extra work in the pool but if you have a good instructor you can do it.

As an instructor, I can say that yes, there are some people who are quite terrified who do make it through. Often they sign up because of pressure from a spouse, but sometimes it's to face their fears. Anyway, if you decide to get certified, make sure you do it through a shop and instructor you feel comfortable with. Your instructor will need to have lots of patience for the experience to be positive for you. Be sure they are willing to do any extra time with you in the pool that you need before you go into the ocean. Read through other posts here and you will see that all scuba instructors (unfortunately) do not have the patience they should have.

Best of luck to you :)

Check out the post that my wife (CaribQween) started called "Wannabe Scuba Divers". We just recently completed our open water certifications, and she had a real tough time with panic attacks. There is a wealth of good information that has been posted by the wonderful group of divers here on Cruise Critic. Their advice and suggestions were extremely helpful. We both took an extra session which really helped, although the instructor was not as patient as he should have been.

The important things are to trust your equipment, trust the buddy that you dive with and relax and have fun. It will take some time, but once you complete it, the sense of accomplishment will be even greater, and you will appreciate everything so much more.

Good luck!

Check out the post that my wife (CaribQween) started called "Wannabe Scuba Divers". We just recently completed our open water certifications, and she had a real tough time with panic attacks. There is a wealth of good information that has been posted by the wonderful group of divers here on Cruise Critic. Their advice and suggestions were extremely helpful. We both took an extra session which really helped, although the instructor was not as patient as he should have been.

The important things are to trust your equipment, trust the buddy that you dive with and relax and have fun. It will take some time, but once you complete it, the sense of accomplishment will be even greater, and you will appreciate everything so much more.

Good luck!

I read that. Congrats on your certifications. My DH also just finished his cert. His last OW dive was completed today.

I'm thinking I can overcome this.

I'm thinking I can overcome this.

Then you have the right attitude to complete certification. You don't have to do it quickly and all at once either. Small steps can get you to the end of the journey, it just takes patients and a little more time.

Everyone is right, with the right, patient instructor (which I fortunately had) you can get through those panic attacks. I wanted to do it so badly, but almost quit through tears after the first pool session. My instructor would not give up on me! She let me use her easy breathing Scubapro reg, which made a big difference and after 3 times in the pool, I was ready for our open water dives in Key Largo! I still need to work on taking my mask on and off underwater to be 100% comfortable with that skill, but it was the best thing I have ever done and the sense of accomplishment was worth it all!

I'm getting ready to go on a week dive vacation in the Quirimbas islands in the Indian Ocean and must say that I look forward to diving my way around the world! Best wishes to you as you continue your certification!:)

Hello. I am an instructor also. All of the above is great advice so I won't repeat. Have you thought of doing a private course? It may cost a little more, but you will have the instructor one on one which may relax you a little( no peer pressure from the other students). Also, if you find that your instructor is not to your liking for whatever reason, ask to be assigned another instructor. Remember, you are paying them. It should also be an enjoyable, fun experience for you and leaving you to wanting more training/education. Let us know how you make out.

Hello. I am an instructor also. All of the above is great advice so I won't repeat. Have you thought of doing a private course? It may cost a little more, but you will have the instructor one on one which may relax you a little( no peer pressure from the other students). Also, if you find that your instructor is not to your liking for whatever reason, ask to be assigned another instructor. Remember, you are paying them. It should also be an enjoyable, fun experience for you and leaving you to wanting more training/education. Let us know how you make out.

I agree that a private instructor is the way to go. Years ago before I was certified, I was very nervous in the water. Lucky for me my son worked at our local dive shop. One day I met one of the instructors while waiting to pick my son up. In the car on the way home my son commented about the instructor I had met saying that 'he is the nicest guy, I have seen students ask the same questions over and over and he just patiently answers them I cannot believe how patient he is'....the light bulb popped above my head as I thought 'THATS my instructor'...the next day I was on the phone scheduling up private lessons with him and the rest shall we say is history!

Archived