Do You pack your knife?

divinmule

Just wondering how many folks take their dive knife with them?

We are diving while in Freeport and Nassau in Nov....I would like to take it with me.

I understand that it must be checked and picked up prior to the dive. How big a deal is this process? Is it worth the effort?

Thanks

Lari

Different cruise lines have different policies. Call your cruise line and ask. Some dive operators (especially those in parks) do NOT allow either knives OR gloves. If you get the OKAY to bring one it may have to be stored in the pursers office, and retrieved just before going ashore (a complete waste of your time you will be shocked at how long the line is there at all times). I can understand the concern you have with sharks where you are going, but as long as no one is putting any blood in the water, OR the location where you will be diving has not been polluted by the BRAINLESS IDIOTS who run operations where sharks are being fed... You should be fine, just remember to breathe naturally. If you are concerned about becoming entangled in fishing nets, or fishing line, no one will say a thing about carrying scissors... Get cheap and disposable ones, because they will rust.

And in case anyone if offended by my extremely LOW opinion of shark feeding operations, be somewhat consoled that I have used much more foul language to these shark operators faces... LASTLY, is it okay to feed the bears? NO. Is it okay to feed wildlife in general? NO. Then why in fsake is it okay for people to feed the sharks?

NO, you don't need the knife and IMO it is definitely not worth the hassle dealing with it.

If you HAVE to have a cutting implement, get a pair of shears.

traumafront.jpg

I agree Princess didn't even look twice at my shears in Feb 08 and I dove at three ports

Lately we have been diving Blue Heron Bridge in the Palm Beach area. I've never used my shears so much cutting fishing line, collecting lead, etc. The shears are EMT stainless. They still rust and I end up buying a new pair every 5 years or so. I also carry a folding Scubapro knife that I bought when I began diving in '84--still ok though a little rusty. Anyway, as far as cutting line--EMT shears handsdown over a knife. At a place like the bridge, shears are an essential part of our equipment. Less so elsewhere perhaps, but I regard a cutting tool as part of the safety equipment--like a whistle and a snorkel.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived