Mexican Rivera Cruise with a 3yr old and 1 yr old

LeFamily

Hello all,

I have been reading day and night trying to prepare for our upcoming cruise with our 3yr old and 1 yr old. We have only cruised when we didn't have children and this will be our first attempt cruising again.. which we love! We have choosen to take the Mexican Rivera cruise, has anyone had experiences and advice for shore excursions with kids around the same age as ours? Thanks for your help.

Look at the Carnival Splendour review a few posts below this one. They just did the Mex Riviera and did the exact shore activities I would do (I've done 6 Mex Riviera cruises with my toddlers from the time they were 1 to 4 - you'll have a great time).

The only other thing we've done that we enjoyed is the Lands End cruise in Cabo - it's short, but it takes you along the coast to see the dolphins, rock structures, etc., and there's an inside viewing area that's safe for the tots.

Best,

Mia

Like the PP said read my review on the Carnival Splendor. The title of the review is "Carnival Speldor review with a 1 yr old".

I made one mistake in it though... the resort we stayed at in Puerto Vallarta is actually called the NH Krystal (not PH Krystal). Anyway, it is walking distance from the boat. Just walk out to the main street (that Walmart is on) and walk to the right (I think it is south, water is at your back). Walk for about 15 minutes and you will see the signs.

In Mazatlan definitely go to Stone Island! From reading these boards I thought it was going to be crazy busy there. But we practically had the beach to ourselves and I felt perfectly safe having DS run out into the water there.

In PV: The Finesterra Resort is walking distance from the tender boats. But I can't tell you exatly how to get there. Check the port boards there are better directions on there. All I know is you walk up a steep driveway near the gorgeous new condos.

My biggest advice to you is to have a back-up plan (or two) for each port! In Cabo we really wanted to go to Medano Beach but it was just way too dangerous for kids. Thank god we knew about the Finesterra Resort!

I'll post some pics for you soon.

Here's the NH Krystal. Walking distance to the boat. Notice the boat in the distance of one of my pics. That picture was taken near the playground. There is a great kids pool, lounge chairs and umbrellas by the pool and on beach and an awesome playground. Cost: $500 pesos (or $42) to be used as credit for food and drinks.

DSCN5580.jpgDSCN5579.jpgDSCN5582.jpg

We stayed at Carmelita's. They are right next to Lety's. Just be sure to walk over the berm when you get off the water taxi. There is a San Diego surfer dude who will try and get you to go to his place but it is isolated and rocky over there. Cost: $2/pp for the water taxi.

DSCN5627.jpgDSCN5626.jpgDSCN5620.jpg

Just a note re: the Krystal - there is actually a quicker way to get there. When you're facing the marketplace, there is a wall at the very back with a gate leading to a cobblestone road that dead ends at the Krystal (you can find maps/directions on the ports-of-call board here). I've walked both ways, and the back way is shorter (especially since you're then also closer to the beach and don't have to walk all the way through the resort to get to the pool/beach). I've done it alone with my double stroller - the sidewalk starts and stops here and there, but it's not far enough to be a hassle. There is a guard gate at the entrance to the resort, just show them your cruise ship towels or cruise card and they'll let you in. My girls and I have had many great days at the Krystal - the food is great. We start at the playground, before the equipment gets too hot, then we tip a worker to set us up under a plapa at the beach, then end the day playing in the pool. There are showers and restrooms. We bring our own sand toys and blow up pool toys, and there are usually other kids at the resort and from the ship to play with.

Great pictures deputymama! Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Mia

I've been through the back guard gate a number of times through the years - at times they've required prepayment and at times they haven't, but even when they do, I've been able to pay at the guard gate and they give me the receipt to use for our food/beverage credit (and it's always well worth it either way). I have also seen people from the ship try to sneak in by walking in from along the beach - that's good to hear security doesn't let them get away with using the facilities for free - I'd be annoyed if I were a hotel guest and it was overrun with cruise ship passengers who aren't even supporting the resort.

Best,

Mia

We did a Mexican Riviera itinerary last year with our one-year-old, on NCL. In Mazatlan, we did a walking tour of old Mazatlan that I really enjoyed and that worked out pretty well with our son in the stroller. Streets/sidewalks are a bit uneven but totally doable with the stroller. The only downside, and this was an issue in every port on our sailings, was that it was ridiculously hot to be out walking around. But we popped into enough air-conditioned places that it wasn't too bad, and we brought plenty of bottled water.

Can't say enough nice things about the Krystal, fantastic for kids this age. We followed the shorter directions and did not have to get a bracelet or pay any kind of fees or anything. We just ordered something to drink while we were there and paid with a credit card, no questions asked. Of course, that was last year, and things can change, so I'd listen to the more recent reviews on the subject. Ocean there is too rough to swim in but the wading pool more than makes up for that.

In Cabo we went to the ME resort, which was fine for us--all we wanted was a place with palapas and a pool where we could order food and drinks and hang out as a family, and all the staff were nice to our son. No cover charge there, either, we just walked in, plopped down on one of the bali beds by the pool, and waved the waiter over to order something to drink for everyone (they even had milk for our son). Didn't get any nasty looks from the other people there, either--we were there in the morning, and the pool area was fairly empty at that time, put the people who were there all smiled and were friendly to us. We stayed through an early lunch and then headed back to the ship. I know people talk about this as being a couples/adult type place, and it did have a more reserved vibe, but there were other families there as well, and honestly the staff were all really nice to us and made us feel welcome. I am sure there are more kid-friendly (i.e., with a wading pool) places around, but this place worked fine for us.

Archived