What is near the port?

amistad

Last year when we went to Santo Tomas we took a tour and we were really disappointed, is there anything to do at the port itself without having to take a tour? The tour we took was running so late we barely had time to get back on the ship and did not get to look around. I am thinking if I can't come up with something maybe going to the Amatique resort? Any thoughts on whether it is worth the price, I think through the ship it is about 45.00 per person. The tour we took in April was down the river to a hot springs, then to Livingston, they took us to a resturaunt that took 2 hours to serve the food the people ordered on the tour and our boat driver got his food for free by taking us there, but got served after us. To make a long story short we didn't get back until 30 minutes before the ship was to leave and that is not my thing (worry wart complex). TIA

You shouldn't work about the time the tours get back to the boat unless you booked them independently. I understand that if you book a tour via the cruise boat then it won't leave with you if for any reason the tour is delayed.

I have booked up the tour of Livingstom as I have never been there before. The last time I ws in Santo Tomas, we took the tour of the waterfalls. That was a pleasant trip especially the way that you get to see how people live. The bus trip up the dirt road to the park was very narrow but exciting when we would almost hit other trucks coming down.

I was with a friend and for about one hour we did venture outside the port. There really was not much to see and did not feel that very safe. We did find an English speaking taxi driver, who for $20, took us on a road around town. We did see people outside restaurants with what looked like machine guns. Our driver said that a lot of businesses have private security, that makes you feel safe!!!!

You just have to be careful in Central America. I would stay with an organized tour and not go around alone.

Archived