Princess or Celebrity Can't Decide

loadsofpanache

We sailed on the Crown Princess last year (our first Princess cruise out of 17).. I must say we were very disappointed in the food. Beef was absolutely terrible in the main dining room and the other food was average at best. In fact, we ended up chosing to eat our evening meal in the buffet the last evening, which was actually better than the dining room. We will be sailing Celebrity again this January and trying the new "Select Dining".. looking forward to excellent food and exceptional service. My husband and I both smoke, and even tho' we'd enjoy having a cigarette and a cocktail on our balcony, we will manage. Actually going to try the e-cigarette.. Which ever cruise you choose, you will enjoy it. As you can tell, my favority line is Celebrity followed by HAL.. Will probably not be back on Princess for some time.

• 4 weeks later...

Not so much of a reply to you as much as to others who might read this, as your smoking situation probably limits your choice to Princess.

I was very glad to hear of Celebrity's smoking policy. As a non-smoker and someone who will be on the Constellation this spring, I am very pleased!

Regarding the question, minus the smoking issue, both lines offer beautiful ships and a nice cruise experience. With that said, I would, however, recommend Celebrity over Princess. Celebrity's food is generally very good. It tends to be more adventurous and is presented well. Sometimes their dining experiences are quite memorable. A set dining time lends itself to better service.

The food on Princess is good, but nothing out of the ordinary. It seems to us that Princess (and even more so, Royal Caribbean) attempts to provide plentiful food that targets the American comfort zone. In all honesty, many Americans want it that way, so you can see why they do it.

Would I travel on Princess again? Sure, but the food would not be a point in its favor in a comparison with Celebrity.

Archived