Reflections DVD... good/bad?

kerojack

I concur - plenty of stock footage. In fact, on our Hawaiian cruise, they had plenty of footage of San Juan, PR and other Caribbean ports! The only reason we bought it was they caught us in 3 separate scenes. However, I would not buy it again.

We used to travel with RSVP travel and they had a team with cameras that filmed during the entire cruise. That video was just of your cruise and was worth it - it was included in your ticket price! Everyone got one as you left the ship. In fact, they put it together the last afternoon before returning to port and previewed it in the showroom during the last show. The Princess video is nothing like this sorry to say.

Doug

'Course you're also paying more to be on an RSVP charter... and since they have only have a few cruises per year, they can hire the best videographers. That's a bit different than a mass-market line... where they have to produce something every week or so. That being said, it does make a difference as to the skills of the videographers onboard. If they're really good, they'll produce a good video... :)

I've bought two of the DVDs so far and have been satisfied with them. Yes, some of it is stock footage, but in places like the Caribbean I don't think that it matters much. It's pretty much sunny all the time there, so what's the difference? :) It's especially nice if the videographers go on one of your excursions - they went on one of ours in Alaska and had fantastic footage of our whale watching trip, which made the DVD extra special for us.

And really, the cruise videos have come a LONG way IMHO. I have one we bought on another line back when they first started selling cruise videos, and it's only 15min long. At least the Princess ones are a good hour or so!

The DVDs are rather expensive though. If you can wrangle one, the 50% off coupon is great to have.

No argument that you pay a premium when travelling with RSVP! But, I think Princess is doing a disservice by stating it's a video of your cruise when in fact it's stock footage with some shots of your cruise.

I thought I would review the recent Reflections DVDs we bought on our alaska cruise. The only stock video on the primary DVD is the overview of each port. At least 75% of the DVD is original footage from the cruise.

Just back from the Golden on Sept 12, I have to chime in here, we saw the preview advertised by Princess on their TV commercial. Out of all the things we spent money on during our trip this was the only thing we felt was a complete and total waste. The fiming was terrible, looked like a high school student filmed it, it was off center and had tons of generic footage. Never again will we waste our money. They spent too much time on a few activities and not any on others. Oh well, live and learn but--never again--this is the one thing I would say-DON'T BOTHER.

Maybe in a few years when I'm wanting to cruise again to Alaska-I'll appreciate it--but for now--I feel I got taken to the cleaners.

CoffeequeenJ

:mad:

Archived