Recommendation for the Bay of Fundy?

What would you recommend as the best way to tour the Reversing Falls? Being completely unfamiliar with the area, it is difficult to know whether to rent a car, use public trans or go with a shore excursion. The problem with the shore excursions is that the Reversing Falls are only a small part of the excursion and I'd like it to be the main part of my day! The boat ride, while geared to the falls, sounds a little too much of a "thrill" ride for our tastes. And a mention of a great local place for lobster, one that is all about fresh food instead of tourist glitz would be most welcome! Thanks for any help that you can give.

What would you recommend as the best way to tour the Reversing Falls? Being completely unfamiliar with the area, it is difficult to know whether to rent a car, use public trans or go with a shore excursion. The problem with the shore excursions is that the Reversing Falls are only a small part of the excursion and I'd like it to be the main part of my day! The boat ride, while geared to the falls, sounds a little too much of a "thrill" ride for our tastes. And a mention of a great local place for lobster, one that is all about fresh food instead of tourist glitz would be most welcome! Thanks for any help that you can give.

I don't recommend renting a car - unless you go to St. Martin's everything is accessible by foot or use the local bus system. You can walk to the falls in about 45 minutes or take a bus - takes less than 10 minutes. There is a reason the falls are only a small part of excursions - it's probably not worth being the highlight of your day - it's more accurately described as rapids that switch direction based on the extreme tides of the area. As for lobster, there are 3 seafood restaurants in the area where the ship docks:

Steamer's Lobster across from Marco Polo cruise terminal

www.steamerslobstercompany.com

Grannan's in Market Square http://www.grannanhospitalitygroup.com/grannans/

Billy's Seafood in the Old Saint John City Market

www.billysseafood.com

Billy's seafood is consistently rated #1 every year by locals in a local publication (HERE Magazine)

The Reversing Falls are tidal. They reverse twice a day. If you go at the wrong times all you will see is a river with falls. The times change daily. I would do a taxi and have the taxi wait if that was my hope for the day. Here is a link with an included link for the tide tables. http://www.new-brunswick.net/Saint_John/reversingfalls/reversing.html

Thank you both for these helpful replies. I'm intrigued by the idea of walking (if its good weather) to the falls since that would give us a chance to really explore the area. Then, a taxi or a bus ride back would be great at the end of a long morning. The tide table link is great! All 3 restaurants look good too, thanks! Plus, if we walk we may just find that little hideaway type of place with picnic tables and paper towels. We sure are looking forward to visiting your hometown.

My DH and I just got back. This is what we did:

When we got off the ship, we walked to the Reversing Falls. St. John has a very nice walkway that you can use most of the way. It's nicely landscaped and very pleasant. Unfortunately, the walkway ends before reaching the falls, so you have to use a regular sidewalk along side a very busy roadway for the last part of the walk.

Early in the day the tide was high. We watched an information video at the falls restaurant, which explains the whole tidal process. Cost was $2.00. After taking photos and watching the jet boats for a while, we took a taxi into downtown. We went to Billy's for Lunch, and then walked through the Market where they sell miscellaneous things; mostly produce. We walked through St. John heading back down hill toward the ship. We were going to take a taxi back to the falls, but we ended up just walking. It's a pretty easy walk, especially if you're a regular walker.

By the time we got back to the falls for the second time, the reversal had occurred, and the tide was starting to lower. We had pie and coffee at the restaurant and enjoyed the view. I was definitely glad we went at both high and low tide. It makes more sense when you do that. Plus the video, really helped explain things.

Archived