Recommend Cancun Dive shop?

jwmcq

This is just a 3 day land trip, but my CC friends have never steered me wrongly, so I thought I would ask here. Can anyone recommend a dive shop in Cancun? We've dove in Cozumel, but never in Cancun.

I was just in Cancun for 5 days a couple of weeks ago and didn't have any diving recommendations either...so I kept it mostly as a land-based vacation; however, there were a couple tour groups that offered dive trips for a day and intro courses at the resort where I stayed. The prices were a bit steep from what I recall...just over $100 for 2-tank dive with gear in the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area, and if you wanted to skip over to Coz, that would run you almost another $100.

I ended up snorkeling there instead. :( Where in Cancun will you be staying?

Good luck with your hunt!

My DW and I just returned from a 8 day trip to Cancun. We stayed at the Moon Palace just south of the airport but did our diving in Puerto Morelos. We snorkeled there before (before we got certified) and dived there two different days a couple weeks ago.

We went with two different outfitters but liked "Dive in Puerto Morelos" the best. Brett is more laid back but is extremely attentive. He stays right with you and finds/points out things to look at. My wife and I were the only divers that morning and he went with her while another dive master (Carlos) stayed with me. It happened to be our 10th anniversary so they surprised us on the boat with a bottle of campagne after our 2nd tank.

Great folks...$70 for a two-tank dive. You have to provide your own transportation however. It seems that the Gov't now runs the taxis in Mexico so they don't like tour operators running transportation. Not a huge deal, just put the overall price up a little bit. The reef there is gorgeous and tons of marine life to look at.

Puerto Morelos was where I snorkeled while there...some nice sea-life...and definitely a young reef with a lot of growth potential!

We even put this little guy back on the reef!

CIMG5082.jpg

A lot of Queen Conchs

CIMG5147.jpg

Nice little Yellow Stingray

CIMG5171.jpg

Foureye Butterflies

CIMG5164.jpg

Grunts (and a Schoolmaster, too)

CIMG5159.jpg

And some nice anemones

CIMG5174.jpg

Saw a Nurse Shark, Barracuda and some gorgeous Queen Triggerfish out there too!

Thanks for the tip on the dive op...next time I head to Cancun, I will keep them in mind!

Archived