What is there to do at 6 am?

pokergirl34

Our ship docks at 6 am Grand Cayman time. Our tour starts at 8 am GC time. I anticipate we will get to shore after tendering around 6:30-7 am. Is there anything to do that early? All my web searches show that shops don't open until 9 am GC time.

I really don't want to wait on the ship since we have to tender. I don't want to get stuck in a late tender group and miss our tour.

Any ideas?

thanks!

You could snorkel! We were on the first tender off, I think, and found ourselves on shore and nothing was open, of course. So we just started walking around. We turned right and followed the ocean until we came to this little restaurant called Paradise Cafe or something (it definitely had the word Paradise in it). There was a set of stairs leading into the water. My group all had their snorkel gear with them, and bathing suits under their clothes. So, off came the clothes and into the water they went. There were a lot of the big tarpons swimming around. It turned out to be one of the little unexpected "gems" of our day in GC. How often can your snorkel at 6:30-7:00 a.m., with your cruise ship anchored so close by, the waters calm, big fish all around? This little spot, as we later found out is part of Eden Rock Dive Center. It took all of five minutes to get to Paradise Cafe.........if you walk further down another few minutes you will get to the actual Eden Rock Dive Center, where you can also hop in the water from a staircase going down.

Actually, many times they will have you gather together on the ship then tender on one tender together to the tour rather than re-group on the island.

We aren't doing a Carnival tour, but booked a private one.

GinDon, thank you so much! We certainly could start our snorkeling early. I will write that in my notebook!

Hey Pokergirl,

Not to disappoint you, but you will be waiting to get on a tender a pretty long time. On our trip, the line to the tenders was so long that my husband and I doubled back and had breakfast, then got back in line.

If you do manage to get off the ship and still have some time to spare, just walking around is intersting, the port is right in town.

We actually got off the tender at about 7:20 or so...

That line was really long.

Good luck!

Hey Pokergirl,

Not to disappoint you, but you will be waiting to get on a tender a pretty long time. On our trip, the line to the tenders was so long that my husband and I doubled back and had breakfast, then got back in line.

If you do manage to get off the ship and still have some time to spare, just walking around is intersting, the port is right in town.

We actually got off the tender at about 7:20 or so...

That line was really long.

Good luck!

Yikes. I was worried about that. Well at least we have the extra time :)

Archived