Trip Insurance

Kilikikina

Was wondering if you guys mind going through this one more time for me. :) I am going to buy my trip insurance through insuremytrip.com this time instead of Disney, but wanted to make sure I am getting the right stuff.

I found out that my health insurance covers medical emergencies while outside the country, but not medvac. I also found out that my credit card has trip interruption insurance for us. My husband has accidental death through his work. The only other thing I can think of is for the flights, which I work for the airlines, so I don't believe we can get insurance of something I am not paying for.

Which leaves medvac, and I called insuremytrip.com and they gave me a quote for the family for just medvac. Am I missing anything else I should get under the policy?

Was wondering if you guys mind going through this one more time for me. :) I am going to buy my trip insurance through insuremytrip.com this time instead of Disney, but wanted to make sure I am getting the right stuff.

I found out that my health insurance covers medical emergencies while outside the country, but not medvac. I also found out that my credit card has trip interruption insurance for us. My husband has accidental death through his work. The only other thing I can think of is for the flights, which I work for the airlines, so I don't believe we can get insurance of something I am not paying for.

Which leaves medvac, and I called insuremytrip.com and they gave me a quote for the family for just medvac. Am I missing anything else I should get under the policy?

Does your trip interruption insurance cover for cancellation should either of you...or someone you're leaving at home (immediate family)..become ill, and you need to go home or stay home?

What about transportation to/from the airport? If this is any distance (like, for us, it's a 2 hour trip), this might be worth considering.

Any pre-existing health conditions -- and does your medical insurance already cover that?

No answers here...and none of this may apply...just things I insure for (along with everything else you mentioned! :o )

What about cancellation insurance? Should someone become ill, have an accident, a death in the family, ect happen after final payment but before you board the ship? Unfortunately this happens far too often.

Trip delay insurance could also be a consideration since you do mention flying to your port.

Don't forget lost or damaged baggage. I think my policy states something along the line of coverage for a purchased ticket on a common carrier...so it may not cover since you're not purchasing the tickets. But the baggage is also covered in route to from the airport and the duration of the trip (including pre or post hotel stay).

See if you're homeowners would cover this?

Also: do you need to cover the possible loss of hotel before or after?

Peg

Since you're going on Disney I'm going to make some assumptions:

#1 Everyone in the party is under 60

#2 There's kids under 18

If that's the case please look at the Travelex Basic plan. You won't find it on insuremytrip -- you can go directly to http://www.travelexinsurance.com.

This plan has all of the good features of the other Travelex plans -- kids are free, primary coverage -- but should only be used by those that do NOT need coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. If that applies to you read further.

One nice thing is that it does not apply the pre-existing condition exclusion to non-traveling family members so if you have ro cancel because Grandma (who's not going with you) gets sick you're covered even if it is due to a pre-existing condition.

It's light on the medical coverage but you have that covered.

It's light on the trip interruption coverage but youu have that covered.

It's good on the emergency evacuation coverage ($1000,000 per person) so you're OK there too.

Because it's limited to younger travelers (60 and under) and doesn't have the pre-ex coverage it's dirt cheap. As opposed to a emergency evac-only plan you'll also be getting trip delay, missed connection, baggage delay, and 24-hour assistance which might come in handy.

If you decide you DON'T need any trip cancellation/interruption you can also buy it with just the post-departure benefits (use $0 as your trip cost).

Plus, Travelex does a great job as far as customer service and claims. It may not be perfect for you but you should at least check it out.

Does your trip interruption insurance cover for cancellation should either of you...or someone you're leaving at home (immediate family)..become ill, and you need to go home or stay home?

yes.

Any pre-existing health conditions -- and does your medical insurance already cover that?

we don't have any.

just things I insure for (along with everything else you mentioned! :o )

thank you so much for your help!!!

What about cancellation insurance? Should someone become ill, have an accident, a death in the family, ect happen after final payment but before you board the ship?

Covered with my credit card.

Don't forget lost or damaged baggage

we actually carry all our bags on the plane with us since I am an employee. yes! we pack light!! lol.

If that's the case please look at the Travelex Basic plan

I did! I think I may go with them.

Thank you all for your help! I appriciate it!

Archived