currency question for Canada/NE cruise

sailsalot

Hi everyone!

We're getting ready to leave for our Canada/NE cruise, and was wondering if we should have Canadian money for use in the ports (Quebec, Halifax, and PEI). Or are they okay with taking US dollars? If we need to change the money, do they do that on board?

Thanks for any info!

Oh, and I'm sure folks will suggest using a credit card, but now with all the crazy new fees, we'd rather not do that!

Hi everyone!

We're getting ready to leave for our Canada/NE cruise, and was wondering if we should have Canadian money for use in the ports (Quebec, Halifax, and PEI). Or are they okay with taking US dollars? If we need to change the money, do they do that on board?

Thanks for any info!

Oh, and I'm sure folks will suggest using a credit card, but now with all the crazy new fees, we'd rather not do that!

It is best to have Canadian money. Sometimes the merchants do not have the right exchange rate and it may cost you more than it should. Quebec city has alot of street vendors and they will only take Canadian money.

Enjoy we did Montreal to Boston and back two years ago and it was beautiful.

Claudette

Hi everyone!

Thanks for any info!

When you're in a Canadian port, they are going to accept Canadian dollars. Will you be able to use U.S. dollars? Perhaps, some places might accept them, but you will generally be stung with an exchange rate that's far worse than "the crazy new fees," you mention.

The ship will exchange your USD into CAD, but also often at an abysmal exchange rate.

Your best bet(s) are to either take cash out at an ATM onshore in Canada (as this will give you the best rate for cash) or to use your credit cards, which will generally give you the interbank rate, plus a small surcharge of a few percent.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for any info!

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO sailalot: What I do is go to a local bank in a Canadian port and change for Canadian money. Never a lot at once. Bank of Nova Scotia, or Bank of Canada are pretty good for that. It is best to have Canadian money since a merchant will charge more if you don't have the local currency. That goes anywhere.

Hi everyone!

Thanks for any info!

Use your bank card/credit card at a bank machine do a cash withdrawal not a cash advance (you will still get charged exchange plus fee) - machines are everywhere same as the US. Of course any bank will exchange your US dollars for you - don't forget you will also be charged a small fee for exchanging at the bank.

Merchants will take US dollars but the exchange rate will be horrible - not to your advantage. I can't imagine your US Banks on a credit card being that bad - we are charged the rate of exchange at time of use plus about 2 to 2 1/2% . It is normally cheapest to use that credit card.

As far as I know you can never get away without paying some service fee - at least from CAN to US.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO sailalot: What I do is go to a local bank in a Canadian port and change for Canadian money. Never a lot at once. Bank of Nova Scotia, or Bank of Canada are pretty good for that. It is best to have Canadian money since a merchant will charge more if you don't have the local currency. That goes anywhere.

Don't look for a Bank of Canada branch as it has a similar function as the US Federal Reserve Bank and is only located in Canada's national capital, Ottawa and they don't deal with the public.

As others have said, it is best to use a credit card for purchases, use an ATM (depending on your banks fees) or go into any Cdn bank branch to get $CAD. Typically you will pay about 2 1/2% above the actual exchange rate at a bank. Actually for a small amount of $CAD it's probably a lot easier to just get it onboard the ship.

Most merchants will accept US$ but typically will only do so at par right now with the current exchange rate being $1.07CAD to $1US. The $CAD exchange rates has been fluctuating quite a bit lately so check at an exchange rates website like http://www.xe.com/ before your cruise.

Actually, as a merchant myself AND a Canadian in a port town (Sarnia), I can tell you there isn't anyone who won't accept American money.

As mentioned, though, you're likely better off to convert your money to Canadian BEFORE you leave at your own bank because merchants here often don't give good exchange rates on the dollar.

The Canadian dollar is gaining some value again against your 'greenback' so maybe monitor the situation over the next several weeks and try to buy it when our dollar slumps or when the American dollar picks up again...

curious...what are the ports of call you stop at?

Of course, most all merchants in Canadian ports (and in Mexico, for that matter) will accept U.S. currency. I've always found it a little well, funny, that Americans just expect to use U.S. currency. Generally, we don't take their money when they come here. Use Canadian currency, it's the polite thing to do. You are in their country as a guest. Use their money.

Of course, most all merchants in Canadian ports (and in Mexico, for that matter) will accept U.S. currency. I've always found it a little well, funny, that Americans just expect to use U.S. currency. Generally, we don't take their money when they come here. Use Canadian currency, it's the polite thing to do. You are in their country as a guest. Use their money.

Nicely put...thankyou

We visit Quebec City, Halifax, and PEI. I've been to the first 2 ports before and am looking forward to visiting them again. PEI will be such a treat as well!!

Oh! Nice. I haven't been to PEI myself either, but it's on my to-do list!

So you're taking a trip down the St.Lawrence then!

Just never knew that was a 'cruise' lane, always figured it for a cargo lane only. Cool. :cool:

Archived