Oceana Jan 8th Panama

C at Sea

Been on 14 P&O cruises but never been to Panama and its ports of call. Flying to Barbados, returning from Acapulco. Very much "at sea" about this kind of cruise! Dreading the flights! Not sure what kind of weather to expect. Flight details say 23kg is that the total allowance per person or per case? It sounds like I'm not looking forwards to it but I am and I'm very excited just a bit apprehensive! hubby's birthday as we sail up the Panama Canal so want everything perfect as its a special one! any help and tips would be fab!

We are on the cruise before yours and the inlaws will be on your cruise. We have done the Panama canal a few times now and it is fascinating ... in the theatre they usually show the pallindromic 'A man a plan a canal Panama' which sets the scene. You also have a lot of other good islands and ports of call to enjoy. The flight out is fine the flight back is long, don't dwell on such things, just go out there and enjoy it.

My tip for the canal is to get up and enjoy the approach into the first lock or two. Then go and get breakfast and then find yourself a couple of loungers at the rail up on the top sun deck and watch the world go by.

Been on 14 P&O cruises but never been to Panama and its ports of call. Flying to Barbados, returning from Acapulco. Very much "at sea" about this kind of cruise! Dreading the flights! Not sure what kind of weather to expect. Flight details say 23kg is that the total allowance per person or per case? It sounds like I'm not looking forwards to it but I am and I'm very excited just a bit apprehensive! hubby's birthday as we sail up the Panama Canal so want everything perfect as its a special one! any help and tips would be fab!

Hope to meet you on Oceana for Panama cruise,we,ll be among the N.Ireland departees.

Take-care, Jack & Edith.

The Panama Canal is fantastic. I flew to Los Angeles and sailed back to the UK and it was a fabulous trip - with the canal as the highlight. That was on QE2, but it would still be a good trip on any ship.

Get up really early so that you can get a good forward view for the Gatun locks, then find somewhere to gently watch the world go by. You'll pass port to port with ships, so the port side is clearly the better, although it is not that critical.

Try and find shade though - or have factor 5000 sunblock.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you need any help with anything go and see our son 'Ned' who is one of the Photographers on Oceana. He will gladly help with any information you need.

He is doing this particular trip at the moment but sadly it rained as they passed through the Canal. He is hoping to take lots of pictures on the way back ! Have a lovely time all of you.

Alycidon, We hope to do the Panama cruise in Jan. 2010,would you reccomend any sights to see or excursions not to miss, Yours Jack. [ QUOTE=Alycidon;21559729]The Panama Canal is fantastic. I flew to Los Angeles and sailed back to the UK and it was a fabulous trip - with the canal as the highlight. That was on QE2, but it would still be a good trip on any ship.

Get up really early so that you can get a good forward view for the Gatun locks, then find somewhere to gently watch the world go by. You'll pass port to port with ships, so the port side is clearly the better, although it is not that critical.

Try and find shade though - or have factor 5000 sunblock.

Hi, Ken&Julie,My wife an I are too cruise the Panama in Jan.2010,are there any shore excursions you would recommend? we have booked the coffee plantation.

Yours, Jack.

Hi Jack, assuming you are doing E001, some possible hints for you

Grenada - Grand Etang is worth a visit

Margarita Island - La restinga (although the fumes from the little boats can be strong)

Bonaire - we usually just stroll along the sea front

Aruba - semi sub/shopping/natural bridge/shopping

Puerto Quetzal - I assume this is where you are thinking of the coffe plantaiton tour. I have heard good reports of it but we did the chapin safari when here (both enjoyed it)

Huatulco - lovely little area for just chilling out in (you could visit La Cruescita

Acapulco - cliff divers are worth a visit or if you fancy it the shotover jetboat is good for a bit of fun

Archived