No Iron- Wrinkled Clothes?

We always just iron clothes while packing, fold and pack carefully, and unpack and hang items when we get into our cabin. If something is badly wrinkled hang it up in the bathroom while you are taking a shower. If it is still wrinkled after that don't worry about it - you are on vacation!

I would think if they are not yet banned steamers will be soon. I took one in a hotel a few weeks ago, and although it was a small travel one it blew the fuse there. The hotel said it happens a lot with steamers.

I 'discovered' downy wrinkle release, fantastic stuff, I wish they sold it here in the UK. The ironing service is also very good, and inexpensive.

Otherwise, I hang clothes in the bathroom when someone has a steamy shower.

You can order it directly from the company. They also sell cartons of the travel sze.

We just got back from a fantastic cruise on the Mariner of the Seas last week. I had brought a travel size of Wrinkle release with me and used it on some of our casual clothes that had a few wrinkles in them. My mother in law packed a steamer (looked like a funny shaped tea kettle...not a steam IRON like I realized I had at home before packing!) and that worked wonders on the dress shirts for my boys.

OK- No irons allowed- So does everyone send all of their clothes to be pressed- or just wear wrinkled clothes? What does it cost per item?

We set sail next SUNDAY on the FOS- Party Time!!!

THANKS

There are several options at your disposal. Here's what I do:

1. Iron one or two evening outfits and pack them in a garmet bag in dry cleaning bags. The plastic prevents friction, which is the cause of bunching and wrinkling. This affords you being able to look sharp even on your first night. You could iron all your things if you want and pack them this way.

2. Send everything else out for pressing. Yes, I know it sucks to pay that extra bit, but from my experience on both aisles (I sailed Carnival and they provided irons), I'd rather pay a nominal fee for pressing and save my time for more enjoyable activities. They actually do a good job, even with those impossible to iron fitted 100% cotton shirts from Express. I love the style, I love the color but I HATE (and that's a strong word) ironing those shirts.

3. If you have a shirt or pair of slacks that has a few loose wrinkles, you can hang it in the washroom with you while you shower. I take hot showers and this helped out quite a bit for some of those shirts mentioned above. Remember - loose wrinkles, not major creases or wrinkles all over the place that resembles you balling up the shirt and trying to stuff it into a sock.

I've also done these but with less than flattering results:

4. Travel steamers. I tried it once and thought it was a waste. Perhaps it was the product I used/borrowed sucked, but I quickly discontinued use and just sent everything out to be pressed. It was a waste of time.

5. Wrinkle release sprays. I've never been able to locate the Downy wrinkle release product but some people swear by it. I'd love to try it but I haven't found it up here in Alaska and I don't find it in the CVS stores downtown Miami. I tried making my own batch with water and fabric softener in a small spray bottle but that was a joke. The hot shower worked better. I'd at least try the Downy product if I could find it.

Steam iron? Travel iron? Really?

You're on vacation for Pete's Sake!!!

Send it out the first night you board. We do it every cruise. We're talking 2-4 bucks per item here. We just build it into the cost of the vacation.

One trick I've learned is that I don't press the things that I KNOW are going to wrinkle in transit (fiance's dress shirts for example) before we go, so I don't feel so bad about sending them out once we get on board. In my crazy mind they're getting pressed for the FIRST time :D.

Enjoy your cruise!

Ann

Great minds think alike. I press two dress shirts and hang them in dry cleaning bags. That way I know I have one outfit for the first night and formal night is usually the second. By the third night, I've usually received all my pressed items so I'm good.

That saves me a bunch of time pre-cruise as I'm not blocking out so much time trying to iron, fold, and pack everything "just so".

THAT'S JUST WHAT I DO (send everything to be pressed the first day)! It makes packing before you leave a breeze, because you don't have to worry about the clothes you're packing getting wrinkled. For dinner the first night on board, I pack something that travels well without wrinkling. By 5:00 the evening of the first full day on board, my clothes have been returned and are perfectly pressed.

A bonus is that, for someone who hates to iron and pick out clothes, it's so nice to have a closet full of perfectly pressed and starched clothes ready to wear for the week of your cruise. It's well worth the modest expense, and had become a standard part of the "spoiling" that I give myself during every cruise.

LOVE the Downy wrinkle release. It works great.. hang your clothes, spritz them, and in a few minutes..looks good. (not like freshly pressed, but good). I often spray my boys as they are walking out the door to school. It also smells fresh;)

Someone told me that royal carribean has iron and ironing boards you can use? Is that correct?

Someone lied :p

No irons, but you can send your items out for "Press Only" and it's fairly inexpensive.

OK- No irons allowed- So does everyone send all of their clothes to be pressed- or just wear wrinkled clothes? What does it cost per item?

We set sail next SUNDAY on the FOS- Party Time!!!

THANKS

We don't worry about daytime wear but send most dinner attire for pressing. I don't have exact prices but the bill was not unreasonable. I have also gotten into the habit of taking several pieces that don't wrinkle.

LOVE the Downy wrinkle release. It works great.. hang your clothes, spritz them, and in a few minutes..looks good. (not like freshly pressed, but good). I often spray my boys as they are walking out the door to school. It also smells fresh;)

I haven't had much lucky with the Downy wrinkle release. It just seems like you need a tremendous amount (and then you have to wait for it to dry). Maybe I'm missing something here.:o Also the spray bottle seems a little cumbersome and takes up quite a bit of space (travel size would be gone in a flash)

We always have my husband's dress shirts pressed. It only costs a couple of bucks and they do a MUCH better job than I ever could.

Most of the other things I take are knit or denim, or is supposed to be slightly wrinkled.

My formal dresses usually pretty much wrinkle free.

Over the years both my husband and I have accumulated a travel wardrobe of wrinkle resistant clothing.

Now every time I shop and see something I like, I check the fabric to decide if it will "cruise well". We take a couple of land vacations every year in addition to our cruises and some items in my wardrobe I keep exclusively for traveling. I've even discovered some wrinkle resistant linen.

We also use the hot shower technique if needed and would sent out if absolutely necessary but have managed to avoid this so far.

Archived