cabin selection help please

HPEmom

I need help in selecting a cabin or two for Sept 11, 2010, Oasis of the Seas. We have a group of 6 - my husband and I along with 3 kids (will be 12, 10 and 4) and one of my children's nurse. The nurse get a free trip in exchange for providing care to my disabled son.

Anyway, the cabin categories and deck plans are so complicated to figure out. Could someone give me suggestions as to how to accommodate our group? 2 cabins? A suite? One room has to be handicap accessible as my son's mobility is via a wheelchair.

Thanks so much!

Everyone's currently booking by deck plans, what with "new ship" and all.

Ask me again in mid-January after we return. Until then, I would suggest

inquiries with RCI and/or a very good travel agent per your variety of very

specific needs. Indeed, the Oasis certainly appears to be able to provide

what you require and your booking well in advance. I would be interested

in learning how you manage this.Best of Luck...

I think it depends on how comfortable you are with the nurse. You would probably want multiple rooms rather than a suite so that you get more bathrooms. If you trust the nurse you could stick them with your son in a handicap accessible room and then find a linked room for you, your husband, and your other two kids. You could also do three rooms with the nurse and your son listed as one (onboard your son can change rooms to be with the other kids so the nurse has privacy) connected to a room for all three kids. You and your husband could then get another room next door but I think they only have two cabin links. If you have balconies you could open all the dividers up so that they link those together.

You could easily do this with any of the categories (Ocean view, inside, or balcony) (or two linked and one solo with different categories) and which configuration you choose will come down to how much you trust the nurse or how much privacy you want to give to them. Your kids are still small so 4 in a cabin will limit privacy but is doable. We have always done one ocean view cabin for four people and on our last cruise I was 17 and my sister was 21 with no issues.

I think it is somewhat difficult to make a suggestion without knowing a little more about your preferences.

Let me suggest this approach. Tell the good posters of Cruise Critic what your ideal sleeping and living accommodations would be for your family. For example; tell us how many bathrooms you would like to have? What would be your ideal sleeping arrangements? Who would room with whom? Would you like your son's nurse to have her own space? Give as much of your preference info as you can. Pretend you could build it yourself to your own specifications.

I'll bet anything that someone here at Cruise Critic can make a good suggestion for you! :)

In my case, I am a full-time wheelchair user traveling with my husband, son and son's friend. We booked a h/c balcony cabin with a connecting balcony cabin. This way we get two bathrooms and still have access to our son. You could possibly do the same - have you, DH, and two kids in one cabin and have your son and nurse in a h/c cabin connecting to yours.

I need help in selecting a cabin or two for Sept 11, 2010, Oasis of the Seas. We have a group of 6 - my husband and I along with 3 kids (will be 12, 10 and 4) and one of my children's nurse. The nurse get a free trip in exchange for providing care to my disabled son.

Anyway, the cabin categories and deck plans are so complicated to figure out. Could someone give me suggestions as to how to accommodate our group? 2 cabins? A suite? One room has to be handicap accessible as my son's mobility is via a wheelchair.

Thanks so much!

I looked briefly @ the Oasis Deck plans.

It looks like the cabins that are handicap accessible hold no more than 3 people. (3rd on a sofa bed).

(Just my brief look, though)

I would recommend 2 separate cabins.

You, your husband, and one child in one cabin.

Nurse and 2 other children in 2nd handicap accessible cabin.

Your budget is going to come into play,

to determine which cabins you choose.

You can get two connecting balcony cabins, one being handicap.

Or, they don't have to be connecting.

Or, one balcony cabin....

with a handicap cabin across the hall, which would be an inside cabin.

The ship is huge.

There are a lot of options for you.

Hope this helps some.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are going to put my son and the nurse in an accessible inside cabin (one that actually sleeps 3) and the remaining 4 of us in a balcony across the hall.

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. We are going to put my son and the nurse in an accessible inside cabin (one that actually sleeps 3) and the remaining 4 of us in a balcony across the hall.

Thanks everyone!!

So glad you were able to find suitable accomodations.

Happy Cruising!:)

Hi HPEmom,

I'm glad you were able to arrange your accomodations. Please join us on the roll call for the sailing at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=829638&page=608

I hope that all of you will sign up for the Cruise Critic meet and mingle onboard the Oasis. I think we have 46 people registered already, with a wide variety of ages and interests. I'm looking forward to meeting your family,

Kelcie

Archived