Best port to snorkel

T&E's Mom

We are going to St. Maarten's, St. Thomas, and Grand Turks in Nov. 09. We are looking to snorkel but need suggestions for the best place. Also, any suggestions on the different tour operators, pros and cons.

Thanks

I'm trying to figure the same thing out myself! We'll be on the Emerald T-giving week. Personally, I'm leaning toward Grand Turk, but am not sure which of the snorkeling excursions is the best. I've heard "the wall" is good, but the Princess snorkeling excursions don't go there.

Hi there,

We're also on the Emerald Thanksgiving week, and are leaning towards snorkeling at Grand Turk with Blue Water, recommended on these boards. In St. Thomas, we're thinking of going over to St. John to snorkel at the National Park. AND -- the snorkeling at Princess Cays is usually pretty decent.

See ya on board!

Mary Ellen

We are also on the Emerald Thanksgiving week! We are not decided yet except for St T. where we will definitely catch the Ferry over to St. J and rent a car and hit as many north shore beaches as we have time for. We have loved that in the past and want to do it again.

In St. Martin we will probably taxi to Pinel for the day. The only other thing that sounds awesome is Capt. Alan. But we generally don't like snorkeling with crowds and on a schedule so tend to avoid the snorkeling excursions in favor of just going on our own. So we'll have to decide.

I am really uncertain about Grand Turk. I have read that walking to the southern point and White Sands Beach offers good snorkeling from shore. I'd love to hear from folks that have tried that. I hear that the other west beaches aren't so great after Ivan. I'm also attracted to the idea of seeing the wall and so might want to do an excursion there. I'm confused about the descriptions; though none mention "the wall" some mention visits to reefs such as Ultimate Snorkeling which goes to horseshoe reef and round key or Reef Snorkel and Stingray Safari which goes to an unidentified reef and then to Gibb's Cay. So, anyone that can illuminate us?

In St. Thomas, Coki Beach was great. It has fairly good snorkeling from shore, and can of course enjoy the beach.

In G. Turk, we took a boat out for dive/snorkel combo. I was the diver, and went to the wall. Some friends thought they didn't see as well snorkeling, as it's deeper. I don't know what the near shore snorkeling is like. But G. Turk did have good coral reefs.

• 3 weeks later...
loved the snorkeling at grand turk, We went to the shallower reefs and visibility was fine.

Where exactly did you go? Was it a beach? Were you on a snorkel tour with a guide? We're going with Blue Water Divers 3 weeks from today.

Thanks,

Mary Ellen

We weren't overly impressed with the snorkeling in Grand Turk but we did go with the cruise line and have since sworn that off forever. The stops were ok but were within distance to the ship and shore that they easily could be reached without booking an excursion.

Loved St. Thomas! We book with Pam at Daysail Fantasy out of Red Hook. A great sail/snorkel on her monohull sailboat. Only 8 people max, lunch and snorkeling over at St John. One of our favorite trips in the carribean by far!

At St. Maarten we just like to hang out at the beach at Orient Beach. We go there for weeks and love the place. It is topless on the majority and nude on part so don't go if that offends you. On cruises we have been on we rent a car, go to Orient Beach and then to Grand case for lunch. bery easy to do and cheaper than excursions.

Have a great trip!

Archived