Our Fabulous Journey Aboard the Poesia

tamsam07

We flew out of Nuremberg, Germany to Marco Polo Airport on Thursday, 24 Sept. We took the ACTV (Blue Bus) to the Piazzla Roma. Alot of people were having trouble figuring out how to purchase bus tickets to PR from the machine. We too were having difficulty until I noticed the yellow papers at the top. For anyone going in the near future the code is 121 for PR. We stayed at the Hotel Olimpia which is right near the PR and can be easily seen, so it was very easy for us to get to our hotel. We arrived there at around 5:30 pm. We then made our way to the Vaporetto station, which was somewhat of a task for us. We purchased two 24 hour passes and hopped on the #2. This one took us around the side of the island near where the cruise ships are docked. We preferred the #1 which goes all along the canal through the city. We go to San Marco and it was getting dark. OMG it is so beautiful at night with all the lights and the music playing in the background. We mainly just walked around taking pictures and taking it all in. We did get hungry and found a little restaurant to eat at. The restaurants in Venice are very expensive, but we knew this beforehand and enjoyed it anyways.

We took the #1 back to the PR.....oooohhhh what a lovely ride it was at night. We were going to do the gondola ride but after riding around on the vaporettos we felt we got just as much fun out of that as we would the gondola and we saved ourself 80 euro. I'm not saying not to take the gondola, it was just our personal preference not to. We got back to our hotel quite late and was ready to get some well deserved sleep.

Friday morning we had a lovely breakfast at the hotel and then headed back to San Marco on the #1. I am a person that likes to have visuals, so for you first timers to Venice and cruising from there I will include some pictures. You just really don't understand how easy it all is until you get there, see it and do it. We spent all day at San Marco (St. Mark's Square).

We took the #1 back to PR, freshened up at the hotel and then went to dinner around the corner.

Saturday morning we woke up with great excitement! We headed out to the PR where the buses for each cruise line pick up passengers. They begin picking up at the PR at 10:30 am and every 40 minutes thereafter. We wanted to be early so we could check out the ship and enjoy the lunch buffet. We got to the terminal quickly, as it is not far from the PR. We checked in and to our surprise we were led to the VIP waiting area for suites. We had a regular balcony cabin but it was located on the 15th deck with the suites, so I guess that's why we were included. There are only 2 regular balcony cabins on that deck. But who are we to question! It was very nice because we got snacks and champagne!!!! We also were allowed to board first, so it was very nice. We went through the security check, then headed out the doors for them to take pictures of us boarding. Once we got to the ship entrance we were overcome with excitement. They scanned our cards and the fun began. We were wisked away by a crew member who took us to our cabin. Several crew members were lined up at the door to greet the boarding passengers. We felt so special. After we checked out our cabin we went to scope out the ship. Walking about that big ship made us hungry so we went to have some lunch. It was a lovely spread too. I have no idea why there have been so many people complaining about the food. It was quite good. Now breakfast was just okay but lunch was always good and dinner was outstanding. The only time we were a little disappointed in dinner were the last 2 nights, but there is always something to eat if you don't like anything on the menu. YOU WILL NOT GO HUNGRY ON THIS SHIP! They also have tea time at 4:15-5:15 pm, which includes tea, coffee and yummy snacks like cookies, biscotti, little cakes. Then there is the awesome midnight buffets, if you can stay up that late. The midnight buffets are delicious. We had crepes flambe one night....these were to die for! They had Chinese food one night. Another night they had ice and food sculptures with hundreds of finger foods. I can't even remember everything they had as the entire dining area was filled with all kinds of food. Our first night on the ship for dinner was casual. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal and our tablemates. We all clicked immediately. I must say that the crew puts alot of thought into who they seat you with. We were seated with another American couple, a British couple and an Australian couple (mother and son). We just loved the dinners, which are anywhere from 5-6 courses, and the desserts are oh so good. We went to the evening show and it was very good. Then we had coffee in the Zebra bar, and afterwards headed to bed. When we got to our cabin our bed had been turned down, there was a bowl of fresh fruit on the table and chocolates on our bed along with the next days program. Oh boy we could get used to this!

We arrived in Bari on Sunday. We weren't much interested in seeing Bari, as it is mainly a place to pick up more passengers. We just spent the day on the ship. Hung out by the pool, ate, walked around the ship some more, drank, ate, took a nap, went to dinner. We didn't go to the show that night as it was a magician and we don't really care for magic shows.

Next day we were to arrive in Katakolon, Greece. I think I will post our Greek experience on the Greece Port board.

To be continued.......

Feel free to ask me anything you like.

I'm going on this ship in December. I would love to find out if they have live entertainment in the atrium. I was on the Orchestra earlier this year and they had two different groups that alternated in the atrium. Both groups were great! I'm counting down the days until my next cruise!

Tamsam07,

Wow thanks for all the info on your cruise. we are on the same cruise leaving this coming Saturday from Venice. You're getting us even more excited. One quick question. Are there laundry facilities on the Poesia. We hate to pay the outrageous laundry fees that the ship charges, but our RyanAir flight has equally outrageous luggage fees, so we're trying to decide what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

As regards Ryanair - I was given a suggestion to put as many heavy objects as possible in jacket pockets. In fact my friend actually chooses a jacket to take with her according to the pockets ! She also got some lining material and added a couple of pockets inside.

I didn't get that far , but followed the advice of putting things in pockets.

What fascinates me on CC is the contrasting posts.

Further down is Just Returned From Poescia- Never Again . As usual because of the water not being free. And some customer service problem.

Tamsam07,

Wow thanks for all the info on your cruise. we are on the same cruise leaving this coming Saturday from Venice. You're getting us even more excited. One quick question. Are there laundry facilities on the Poesia. We hate to pay the outrageous laundry fees that the ship charges, but our RyanAir flight has equally outrageous luggage fees, so we're trying to decide what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Hi Tim,

There are laundry services available, but not self service. My husband had a couple of shorts and a polo shirt washed and pressed and it was 8,50 euro. I thought it was going to be alot more expensive. I know what you mean about trying to pack light to avoid outrageous baggage charges, especially with Ryan Air.

Hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise. Let us know about your trip.

As regards Ryanair - I was given a suggestion to put as many heavy objects as possible in jacket pockets. In fact my friend actually chooses a jacket to take with her according to the pockets ! She also got some lining material and added a couple of pockets inside.

I didn't get that far , but followed the advice of putting things in pockets.

What fascinates me on CC is the contrasting posts.

Further down is Just Returned From Poescia- Never Again . As usual because of the water not being free. And some customer service problem.

Hi Hat,

I think the problem with alot of people being so unhappy with MSC is that they are not accustomed to how it is done in Europe. Also, that some people just let the silliest things ruin their whole vacation, blowing it out of proportion. As an American living abroad we have become used to having to pay for extras like water, ketchup, mayo etc. Many of the unhappy MSC customers are Americans that are unaware of how the Europeans are and also expect to have everything done the way they're used to having it done. It is an Italian cruiseline so expect that it will be with Italian/European flare. Their expectations are way too high.

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise and will most definitely cruise with MSC again. And I really don't understand the complaints about the customer service, as we had WONDERFUL customer service. We never had a problem with communication, all the staff spoke many languages. I can't even think of one time we were ever treated rudely by the staff.....the other passengers....well thats another subject LOL. Honestly, for the most part the passengers weren't all that bad either. I found them no more rude or pushy than anyone else on this planet. Last time I went to the States I found the Americans to be just as pushy as the Italians. I think there are alot of close minded people in this world and no matter how great something is these people will find fault with it.

Tamsam, you said it all, MSC is a great cruiseline & offering a great european insight. When your out of your enviroment one has to know to adjust, MSC is offering a product, one cannot say you want it your way when its not your decision but absorb what is offered & if it offends you, well find another alternative in a proper maner.

Archived