Uniworld River Baroness Paris to Normandy Trip Report

Livestotravel

My daughter and I did this same cruise in July 2009, 3 month ago. While reading your review I came upon a couple of things that either must have changed or you may have been given the wrong info on.

1. Our carafe of water in the cabin was filled/replaced daily at no charge. We also received the 2 water bottles and were instructed to either refill them using the water dispenser in the lobby or from our carafe, if we wanted NEW SEALED water bottles then their would be a charge. My daughter drinks a lot of water so our carafe was empty ever day. Our room steward always replaced it with a filled one and we were never charged.

2. We used the single computer in the lobby area many times to stay in contact with family and friends back home. Although service was slow to non existent in certain areas during the cruise, it was free for all to use. Now I did not bring my lap top but some people that we made friends with did and once they were told how to connect they weren't charged either.

I love Uniworld, in fact I am booked on another Uniworld cruise in Dec. I plan to check with Uniworld to see if these changes you mentioned above are something new.

On the carafes, I may be mistaken, that was just my understanding, so we never unsealed it. But we were definitely told there would normally be a 5 Euro charge per hour for the computer - laptop or theirs - they just had a glitch and had no way to know who was logging on. Lucky you planning another trip!

Airfare - we booked the Uniworld trip through Grand European Tours and they booked the flights we asked for (direct Newark to Paris) and the seats we wanted - the two seat configuration one window, one aisle. They also send your documents over a month in advance - I love that! The cost was about the same whether I booked my own or let them do it.

The last time I went to Europe I booked on my own, and the airline cancelled the flight without notification (luckily I was checking on it regularly and we were able to change the dates of our trip to when they were still flying Newark to Athens). My thinking this time was that by using an "agency", if something like that happened they would handle it. However, when my travel companion missed her flight, their offices were closed for the weekend, and she had to pay for a whole new flight on another airline - no compensation - so in some ways you can't win! And since the "class" of airfare an agency buys usually precludes credit if you miss the flight, maybe booking on your own is better. I guess you just have to weigh everything. I have chosen to book myself when I would get frequent flyer credit and/or wasn't guaranteed a direct flight by the company when I knew they were available, as long as the price was close. Learned THAT lesson when we were booked through Dallas to get to Fort Lauderdale from Newark, just so they could get a cheaper airfare - no thanks!

Thanks for your excellent review, we did this cruise back in May. Unfortunately, it was wet and cold especially on the day at the Normandy beaches and in Rouen, nevertheless, we did enjoy the whole journey, so much so, that we have booked Vienna/Amsterdam for June next year.

There normally is a charge for computer except when they have mechanical problems! Being unable to connect for three days they gave us free use when the problem was finally sorted out. And, for the record, water in the carafes was free.

Again, thanks for bringing back lovely memories, hope you book another river cruise too.

Vera

I've always done one for myself to put into my photo album of the trip. Helps when friends ask for recommendations, or specifics about a trip. I'm always surprised when the person I traveled with congratulates me on remembering so much - I confess - I take notes - mostly so I can identify where each picture is taken!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to take so long to respond - we've been to Maine to close up a vacation home there. I've only been on two river cruises, and the cabin on Avalon was definitely larger and also had a French balcony which although you can't do more than stand out there, does give you a feeling of more "space". I thought the room on Uniworld was a little small, but adequate, and if two woman can stow everything, and not fall all over each other, that's good enough for me!! The window was very large, and we tied back the sheer curtain so we could clearly see the views. Of course we weren't there much, but unless you are comparing them to hotel rooms you should be fine.

Archived