Best Family cruise Alaska

humusabugush

We've done RCCI and Princess to AK with our DD (when she was 8YO and 10YO) Also did other cruises with her including HI on NCL. A friend and her family did Princess last summer ('08) with her 12YO DD and 14YO DS - special needs.

The kids programs tend to be comparable among the more family oriented lines. All this type ship tend to have loads of family friendly activities available on-board. I'd look at itinerary to help decide.

My DH and DD are of russian descent and are OCA, so visiting the Russian Orthodox cathedral and bishops quarters in Sitka was important to them for our first cruise. For our second visit, DH's niece was working a dog sled team on a glacier outside of Juneau, so a long port time there was the priority.

While all of AK has lots of opps for outdoor activity and wildlife viewing, Ketikan and Juneau seem to have the most of those activities and excursions. Skagway and Sitka have a lot of historical stuff in additional to the outdoor activities. Determine whether you want to do a land trip while you are there, if you do, look only at the one-way cruises.

Good luck -- whatever you choose, you'll have fun!

Disney is going to be going up to Alaska in 2011, and we are itching to go... but the summer of 2011 is pretty far off.

I've been on RCI on Princess cruises (and a Carnival before we had kids)

between RCI and Princess, I thought RCI was a little better equipped to keep the older kids happy than Princess was.

Regardless of which ever cruise line you choose, the kids will have fun.

Anything "away" is fun.

• 3 months later...

I would choose any ship with an indoor pool open to kids. We took the NCL Pearl in May. The kids club was great and my 3 year old loved it, but that was all there was to do. It was too cold in May to use the outdoor pool or play area on the outdoor deck. From what I've seen, kids + pool = fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived