Things to do in the Bahamas....

bguppies

Did you snorkel through NCL or did you find it on your own? We're a group of 12 and we're thinking of heading to Sheraton Beach for snorkeling and jet skiing, but not sure if we need to pre-arrange.

There's nothing to prearrange. Just head to the hotel and ask for a day pass. Unless you're a rowdy group of teens, you won't have a problem.

As for snorkeling, gear is available for free, but snorkeling is NOT great from the shore anywhere in Nassau. There's some rocks and and a small breakwater that serves to house some species of sea life. But it's not a reef, and there's not alot to see like you would if you took a reef tour.

Jet ski is available thru PRIVATE vendors on the beach, and you must be 18 to drive. These vendors are pretty slick, and sometimes not honest and will try to rip you off on time etc.

There are also quite a few serious accidents in these waters, so please be aware.. some have been fatal. Our hospitals see plenty of victims each season. Riding with a second person on the back is very dangerous.

Personallly, i don't recommend jet ski in a congested area like this, and the gov't is trying to find a way to shut them down.

You can have a wonderful day at the Sheraton.. just know that snorkeling is not that great.

we were in nassau on wednesday of this past week. we walked to the straw market, and followed the road around to the public beach...........we rented two chairs for $8.00. there were about 10-15 people from the monarch and norweigen there with us, along with about 4-5 locals. no one bothered us, everyone was very nice and we felt completely safe and confortable. the water was awsome, and we stayed from 1-5p.m. there are bathrooms, and showers, and were very clean. this totally changed my mind about the town, and we had been there 6 times before never to the beach.would i go back???????? in a heartbeat.

we were in nassau on wednesday of this past week. we walked to the straw market, and followed the road around to the public beach...........we rented two chairs for $8.00. there were about 10-15 people from the monarch and norweigen there with us, along with about 4-5 locals. no one bothered us, everyone was very nice and we felt completely safe and confortable. the water was awsome, and we stayed from 1-5p.m. there are bathrooms, and showers, and were very clean. this totally changed my mind about the town, and we had been there 6 times before never to the beach.would i go back???????? in a heartbeat.

Great to hear the restooms and showers have reopened. They are usually shut up tight. Hopefully the gov't will allow them to remain open and maintained. Lighthouse Beach is a nice little beach.

Did you snorkel through NCL or did you find it on your own? We're a group of 12 and we're thinking of heading to Sheraton Beach for snorkeling and jet skiing, but not sure if we need to pre-arrange.

My private snorkeling excursion in Freeport was canceled due to bad weather. The only snorkeling I did was at the NCL private island "Great Stirrup Cay." It was pleasant. If you want to snorkel to see beautiful reefs and fish, this won't cut it. You'll want to take an excursion.

Could you tell me the name of this beach and a little more info? We are a group of 17 with 8 kids.

Thanks!

Archived