Anyone familiar with the New Orleans port?

mjrich73

We are going to have family drop us off so we can save on parking costs. Is there a drop off area? Is there porters to help us with our luggage? Is it a long walk to where we need to go? Thanks!!

Yes there is a drop off area.

Yes there are porters to take your luggage(Don't forget the tip)

No, the walk is about 20-25 feet.

JimmyJames

PS> Noticed from your countdown clock, you will be going on the Carnival Triumph when we will be getting off. We are leaving on the 21st of November.

Yes there is a drop off area.

Yes there are porters to take your luggage(Don't forget the tip)

No, the walk is about 20-25 feet.

JimmyJames

PS> Noticed from your countdown clock, you will be going on the Carnival Triumph when we will be getting off. We are leaving on the 21st of November.

Why would you put that there? Do you have a deal worked out where you get a cut? Tipping is optional at the descretion of the person.

If a porter grabs my bags and throws them on the cart, he has done his job and I do not tip for doing your job. If he helps get the luggage out, checks all the tags are good to go, etc, then he earns a tip. This is how I have decided to do it and how someone else decides is their business. If he rushes me, or is snippy, or sticks his hand out, there is no tip. And God forbid one every tries to extort more tip from me as I have heard happens quite often in New Orleans.

I actually saw a woman calling 911 to report an attempted robbery by a porter and she was talking loud. Everybody was looking. She said she had tipped $5 and was told that was a cheap tip and he hoped her bags did not end up in the water. He headed around to the back, but she told him it would do no good to hide as she has his picture. I wish I knew the outcome of that one so bad. But that is how that kind of stuff gets stopped.

"Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage. Alternatively, curbside porters are available at the pier to take luggage to the vessel for delivery to your stateroom by shipboard personnel. Customary tip is $1 per bag. Please be sure each piece of luggage is locked and has a tag listing your name and stateroom number. Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival; therefore, if you experience any problems, please report them to porter management on site. Any luggage left at the pier will be forwarded at your expense. Claims for luggage loss or damage must be made in writing to the debarkation personnel prior to leaving the pier area."

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Baggage_Information__Embarkation_Debarkation.aspx

The porters at the New Orleans pier are highly paid UNION workers. (as is most ports) I have had two occasions where the porter refused to take my luggage to my car. One unloaded it in the elevator and then demanded a tip. The other tried to drop our luggage off at the curb. The quicker they can get rid of you, the sooner they can get to the next guy.

Because they are union, there is little the port management can do when you report this behavior other than file a complaint with the union. Make sure you get their name and send an email to the Director of the Port. Enough complaints will get them to stop their mis-behavior.

Dave

The porters at the New Orleans pier are highly paid UNION workers. (as is most ports) I have had two occasions where the porter refused to take my luggage to my car. One unloaded it in the elevator and then demanded a tip. The other tried to drop our luggage off at the curb. The quicker they can get rid of you, the sooner they can get to the next guy.

Because they are union, there is little the port management can do when you report this behavior other than file a complaint with the union. Make sure you get their name and send an email to the Director of the Port. Enough complaints will get them to stop their mis-behavior.

Dave

There's a new gun by Remington, called the Union. You cannot fire it, so it doesn't work.:D

Tip the porters. Smile. Don't be a toad. Not in that order. That's an order.

Why would you put that there? Do you have a deal worked out where you get a cut? Tipping is optional at the descretion of the person.

If a porter grabs my bags and throws them on the cart, he has done his job and I do not tip for doing your job. If he helps get the luggage out, checks all the tags are good to go, etc, then he earns a tip. This is how I have decided to do it and how someone else decides is their business. If he rushes me, or is snippy, or sticks his hand out, there is no tip. And God forbid one every tries to extort more tip from me as I have heard happens quite often in New Orleans.

I actually saw a woman calling 911 to report an attempted robbery by a porter and she was talking loud. Everybody was looking. She said she had tipped $5 and was told that was a cheap tip and he hoped her bags did not end up in the water. He headed around to the back, but she told him it would do no good to hide as she has his picture. I wish I knew the outcome of that one so bad. But that is how that kind of stuff gets stopped.

I guess I will clarify my comment about tipping porters a port of New Orleans.

No, don't have any deal to "get a cut".

When we cruise, it is with about 30 to 35 friends, etc.

We rent a bus and also a pick up truck that holds most of the luggage. At the port the porters will unload the bus luggage and pick up truck luggage. And place it in one of those big containers that goes on the ship.

So our group does tip and feel it is worth the service provided.

JimmyJames

Archived