How cruising has improved over the years

Bridge Maven

There have been many posts about how cruising isn't what it use to be, but I think that even though some aspects of cruising have slipped over the years, in other ways they have improved.

Cabins are more spacious

It is easier to book a cabin with a private balcony

There are more dining options.

Itineraries are more interesting.

They are more family oriented

Passenger base is more diverse

Most of the early cruise ships were not cruise ships.....they were ocean liners.......which were rebuilt as cruise ships.

Our first cruise ship start out as this liner.....

saxpainting.gif

and was converted to this "cruise ship"....

saxoni36.jpg

Most of the early cruise ships were not cruise ships.....they were ocean liners.......which were rebuilt as cruise ships.

saxpainting.gif

saxoni36.jpg

Our first cruise was also on a ship that was built as an ocean liner for three classes of passengers, and subsequently used as a cruise ship with only one class.

I've only been cruising since 1997. Since my first cruise, the ships have gotten bigger and more glamorous. It has also become more affordable to cruise. I used to think that cruising was soley for the elite. Many of the cruiselines have focused on making cruising a more diverse and family oriented vacation package. I Love it. The huge array of itineraries make it possible for me to see the vastness and beauty of God's creation.

And this, my friends is my 1,000th post to Cruise Critic!!!

Not that I'm old, but--

I love the stabilizers - no more ropes down the hall and raisable lips on the dining room tables to keep dishes from sliding off.

I love having just one class.

I love having bathrooms in the cabin (okay, I am old).

I love balconies.

I drank more when drinks were $.35, so save lots of money now.

My first cruise was in 1985 on the Sitmar Crusie Lines, Fairsky, followed by Royal Caribbeans Song of America

With that said I can see both good and bad with modern day cruising. Ships were smaller for the most part. You got to know more fellow passengers.

With todays larger ships their are many more entertainment and dining options available.

All resturants were included, no specialty resturants

The older sailings food and service were more formal, afternoon teas were truly afternoon TEAS. Main dining room was more crowded for breafast and lunch with less passenger using the buffet.

Recall having a morning boullon at around 1100am, consisting of broth, cookies and small tea sandwitches, this has gone by the wayside.

More dress up nights than today. About 65% of the men wore a tux on formal night today its about 15%

Oh and lets us not forget the daily midnight buffet's which is no longer

1985 Fairsky SITMAR…………………………………….......1986 Song of America ROYAL CARIBBEAN

1986 Oceanic PREMIER ……………………………....……..1987 Oceanic PREMIER

Nordic Prince ROYAL CARIBBEAN……………………..... .Nordic Empress ROYAL CARIBBEAN

Viking Seranade ROYAL CARIBBEAN…………………...…Regal Princess PRINCESS

Royal Majesty MAJESTY CRUISE LINES………………..1992 Monarch of the Sea ROYAL CARIBBEAN

1995 Sovereign of the Sea ROYAL CARIBBEAN…….1996 Song of America ROYAL CARIBBEAN

1999 Oceanic PREMIER ……………………………………(Apple Vacation) OCEANIC CRUISE LINE

Legend of the Sea ROYAL CARIBBEAN…………………...Majesty of the Sea ROYAL CARIBBEAN

Grandeur of the Sea ROYAL CARIBBEAN……………..….Enchantment of the Sea ROYAL CARIBBEAN

2000 Voyager of the Sea ROYAL CARIBBEAN………..2000 Horizon (Alaska) CELEBRITY

2001 Explorer of the Seas ROYAL CARIBBEAN……….Crown Princess PRINCESS

2001 Dawn Princess (Alaska) PRINCESS………………..2002 NCL Dreamward

2002 Carnival Legend CARNIVAL…………………………....2002 Brilliance of the Sea ROYAL CARIBBEAN

2003 Navigator of the Sea ROYAL CARIBBEAN……… Aug 2003 Horizon (Bermuda) CELEBRITY

Oct 2003 Serenade of the Seas ROYAL CARIBBEAN…Jul 2004 Mariner of the Seas ROYAL CARIBBAEN

Dec 2004 Empress of the Sea ROYAL CARIBBEAN……Sept 2005 Explorer of the Seas ROYAL CARIBBAEN

Oct 2005 Infinity CELEBRITY……………………………......Nov 2005 Enchantment of the Seas ROYAL CARIBBEAN

Feb 2006 Golden Princess PRINCESS……………………….May 2006 Zenith CELEBRITY

May 2006 Freedom of the Seas ROYAL CARIBBEAN….Dec 2006 Millenium CELEBRITY

Jun 2007 Caribbean Princess PRINCESS…………………Aug 2007 Explorer of the Seas ROYAL CARIBBEAN

Oct 2007 Vision of the Seas ROYAL CARIBBEAN……..Jul 2008 Explorer of the Seas ROYAL CARIBBEAN

Oct 2008 Solstice CELERITY ……………...........……… Nov 2008 Enchantment of the Seas ROYAL CARIBBEAN

Dec 2009 Solstice CELERITY……….……………..…….….June 2010 Emerald PRINCESS

First cruise was on a Canadian Pacific shp in 1951 from Vancouver, BC to Skagway, Alaska. It was a ``dry'' ship and the only booze was what one smuggled into the cabin. Food was bland, but edible. Next was a transpacific from San Francisco to Inchon, Korea in 1953 followed two years later by another transpacific from Pusan, Korea to Seattle. The food was lousy and fit for the fish and my cabin was cramped because I had to share it with 50 other guys who smelled just as bad as I did.

First cruise was on a Canadian Pacific shp in 1951 from Vancouver, BC to Skagway, Alaska. It was a ``dry'' ship and the only booze was what one smuggled into the cabin. Food was bland, but edible. Next was a transpacific from San Francisco to Inchon, Korea in 1953 followed two years later by another transpacific from Pusan, Korea to Seattle. The food was lousy and fit for the fish and my cabin was cramped because I had to share it with 50 other guys who smelled just as bad as I did.

Were those Navy ships for the Korean War?

Were those Navy ships for the Korean War?

Yes, indeed, and if I am not mistaken, each crossing took about 17 days. The first stopped off at Sasabo, Japan for several hours, so that might have been a day or two longer.

saxpainting.gif

saxoni36.jpg

So your "cruise" history is quite longer than your signature indicates.....thanks for your service!

Archived