Raiders of the Lost Mayan Cave

spicysalsa

• 1 month later...

Let me first start off by saying that I have read alot about the Port of Belize and how many people feel unsafe. I at no time felt unsafe or uneasy while on my excursion. I think in part due to our tour guide Elvis. He was the best tour guide I have ever had on an excursion. He was very entertaining and brought lots of pictures and "trinkets" for us to look at while on our 1 1/2 hour bus ride. 9 miles of which are on an unpaved road.

After your long bus ride, you have time to use the bathroom and grab some water or a juice and then hop on the bus for a short bus ride to the jungle. I think it was 5 or 10 min away from the rest stop.

Here you are divided into groups of 12 and you are fitted with your gear. I joked that if you can still breath or open your mouth then your gear is too loose and the guide will tighten it some more.

The first 15 minutes are the most intense of the 50 minutes you actually spend on the excursion. You will get wet on this trip. Depending on when you go, one part in the cave can have waist-high water in it. When I went, we had about 6-8 inches.

There were a few places you had to squat through but I didn't think any places were very tight. While on the excursion you will have to walk across a rope bridge, rappel, zipline and traverse. My DH is scared of heights and he enjoyed the excursion. Overall, I enjoyed it but it would not be something I would need to do again. I loved the ziplining but wish there would have been more of it. The excursion flew by and more time was spent in the bus than actually doing the excursion. I also did not think the intensity level was accurate. Carnival labeled it as extremely active and I felt I got a better workout whitewater rafting in Costa Rica than on this excursion.

We did see a few animals while on our excursion including gators, iguanas, birds, deer, bats and scorpions.

I enjoy the excursion but the next time I am in Belize I plan on snorkeling or seeing the ruins.

Archived