Halp, My HAL rep says HAL Glacier bay is starboard

Sailkeywest

We were on Ryndam last month & visited Hubbard glacier. The afternoon was overcast, drizzly, windy & at the face of Hubbard - COLD! John & I spent the majority of that time out on the bow of the ship, changing sides as Capt. Rowden guided the ship back & forth across that magnificent frozen river. Friends we cruised with spent the time staying warm with hot cocoa in the Crow's Nest. After a few hours I was just too cold so went back to our aft cabin & peeked around out there.

We were on deck 6 - the one w/the wrap around deck. Back there, out of the wind, I found what appeared to be a professional photographer. We chatted for a few minutes. He'd been there before & knew that there would be no crowds, nor wind. On an overcast day, the cover of the higher deck didn't affect his lighting.

You surely want to be outside the first time at a glacier. Even if you don't get to witness any calving, you will likely still hear the glaciers. They make 2 very distinct sounds. One like thunder boom booms. That's just movement, the ice scraping along the mountain sides. The other sound is like a rifle shot. Something is falling. :D

So stick w/your starboard suite, but be sure to get outside somewhere else onboard on glacier day. :)

ps - Side of the ship is irrelevant while cruising AK & the Inside Passage. When at sea, you're too far out to see any land. Once actually in the IP, you've got islands all around.

4018430848_bf711b758b.jpg

4018430874_e3da7d445e.jpg

Has anyone tried a room in the back of the ship?

I was in a stern cabin on the Zuiderdam in late May. The views were spectacular while in Tracy Arm and everywhere else except Glacier Bay. It had nothing to do with the cabin location, it was the weather. It wouldn't have mattered where you were on the ship, you could not see much of anything due to the rain and heavy cloud cover. I highly recommend an aft cabin.

Diane

Archived