Which line to choose? Advice please!

kepster

My family (two adults, late 30's - and two kids, ages 10 and 7) are planning a cruise for November 2010. It will be our first.

We are feeling somewhat overwhelmed with our choices. Choosing not to use a travel agent as we usually plan and book all our own travel - and the cruise lines websites are so easy to navigate.

Initially we wanted a southern Caribbean itinerary. The ones we like are 10 nights,aboard Celebrity Equinox or the Emerald Princess. Celebrity was my first choice (like the idea of a new ship).

We have since been considering the new Norwegian Epic - the 14 night back to back eastern/western itinerary.

Now we are confused and overanalyzing everything!:eek:

We would like a casual but classy atmosphere. A great kids program. Good service. We are concerned that the Epic will be mayhem with 4000 pax. Also that itinerary is less desirable to us than the southern. But, lots for us to do as a family - waterslides, bowling, Blue Man Group show, Cirque du Soleil show/dinner.

We would appreciate anyones comments/feedback/advice -

Thanks again!

My family (two adults, late 30's - and two kids, ages 10 and 7) are planning a cruise for November 2010. It will be our first.

We are feeling somewhat overwhelmed with our choices. Choosing not to use a travel agent as we usually plan and book all our own travel - and the cruise lines websites are so easy to navigate.

Initially we wanted a southern Caribbean itinerary. The ones we like are 10 nights,aboard Celebrity Equinox or the Emerald Princess. Celebrity was my first choice (like the idea of a new ship).

We have since been considering the new Norwegian Epic - the 14 night back to back eastern/western itinerary.

Now we are confused and overanalyzing everything!:eek:

We would like a casual but classy atmosphere. A great kids program. Good service. We are concerned that the Epic will be mayhem with 4000 pax. Also that itinerary is less desirable to us than the southern. But, lots for us to do as a family - waterslides, bowling, Blue Man Group show, Cirque du Soleil show/dinner.

We would appreciate anyones comments/feedback/advice -

Thanks again!

Never done NCL, but I would not recommend Celebrity for kids. Our Alaskan cruise was wonderful, but we really missed the action and excitiment of an RCI cruise. I wouldn't take kids on a Celebrity cruise. I saw quite a few walking around bored. Maybe it would be better on a Caribbean rather than Alaskan cruise, not sure. But I would look for more action for the kids. When/if you seek the quiet, it's there too, even with thousands of other passengers!

Sandytoes -

Are you advising against taking kids on Celebrity because of the kids program not being what you expected - or because there are not a lot of facilities like rock climbing walls, waterslides, etc. How did other 'premier' passengers feel about your kids being around?

Now we've added into the mix a possible HAL sailing. We really love the itinerary but are not thrilled with what we hear about the attitude of other passengers towards kids (and the poor food reviews -Noordam).

Do you choose a cruise for the ship and it's experiences or for the itinerary?

Thanks for your time!

Some people sail for the ship, some for the itinerary, some people sail the cheapest cruise they can find. It all depends on what is most important to you.

I wouldn't take a 10 year old and a 7 year old on a HAL cruise, but I certainly would on a Celebrity cruise.

Both 10 night cruises will have fewer children on board than a 7 night. I would much rather choose one of those than a NCL back to back though. Both Celebrity and Princess have reputations for good children's programs, good service and good food. NCL does not have a good reputation for service. I doubt that you would find them "classy". Two 7 night cruises would certainly be more boisterous than a 10 night cruise.

Even though Celebrity and Princess don't have bowling or waterslides, there will be other activities that will keep everyone happy.

You will generally find an older crowd on a 10 or + day sailing. When we sailed with HAL (pre-children) we really became aware of this.

Although HAL is very nice, less crowded and we enjoyed our HAL cruises very much - I also find some of the ambiance a bit stuffy (and this was without children).

I would say go with the itinerary that makes you most happy, then choose the ship. I have never tried anything but HAL, so I can't comment on the other lines. However, we have cruised enough as a couple to know which ports are more appealing to our children's age.

We have chosen to try Carnival this next time we cruise with our 3 and 8 year olds because of the nice beachy, layed back ports of call (Eastern Caribbean). We were also attracted to the kids club. We don't think that travelling with the kids will allow us the time to leisurely prepare for a formal evening (as on HAL pre-children) and so we are going strickly for the fun and the good times on Carnival. Different experience - different lines I guess.

Our kids have never cruised, so we decided to do some land based days before the cruise, then go on a 7 day Eastern to round it out to an 11 day vacation. We are hoping they love it, and then we can plan for a longer time on board in future.

I know, the planning and deciding is the hardest part. Best of luck.

Our kids have grown up cruising and I think of the cruises you mentioned that the Emerald Princess offers the best for what you are looking for. Your kids will like the big movie screen on deck (popcorn, blankets for the chaise lounges, waiters bringing pizza and warm cookies and milk during the movie), the putting green, sports court, two big pools. I think you will enjoy the dinner service, especially the anytime dining option available on Princess. Great entertainment options appropriate for the whole family as well.

Archived