beginner's scuba excursion questions

griffin_hr

Hello,

My wife and I are considering the beginner's scuba excursion in Roatan through Carnival/Anthony's Key resort.

My question is, what are the "physical" requirements to scuba?

I am not the kind of person you would see in a SCUBA advertisement, if you know what I mean...

Also, my wife has type 1 diabetes. Anything to worry about with that?

Sorry these are a little vague, but I am not sure exactly how to phrase the questions...

Thanks!

Here is a quote from PADI, one of the main certification agencies:

Physical: For safety, all students complete a brief scuba medical questionnaire that asks about medical conditions that could be a problem while diving. If none of these apply, you sign the form and you’re ready to start. If any of these apply to you, as a safety precaution your physician must assess the condition as it relates to diving and sign a medical form that confirms that you’re fit to dive. In some areas, local laws require all scuba students to consult with a physician before entering the course.

Medical questionaire link:

http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/forms/pdf/10063-ver2-0.pdf

FAQ link:

http://www.padi.com/scuba/scuba-diving-guide/start-scuba-diving/scuba-certification-faq/default.aspx

well,

in my opinion you should bring a basic endurance and you should be comfortable being in water and below the surface. Also you should be familiar with swimming.

Diabetes can cause serious problems, as you probably know. An idea for added safety would be to carry sugar or fruit sugar with you while diving and practice eating/drinking it under water, so you can react in the situation of a low sugar shock. Use supervision while practising!

And probably you should consult a physician who is familiar with diving and check with him for additional precautions.

Remind, I'm neither a diving instructor nor a physician, so this is just my opinion.

On http://www.ukdiving.co.uk/information/medicine/diabetes.htm (is linking allowed?) I found valuable informations about diabetes and diving.

In addition you might consider bringing your own wet suit or check with the dive center if they have one that fits. I'm also a bit outside the "regular", so I know the trouble (and have my own suit for that reason) ;-)

There are some more points, but this might give you an idea about where to start.

Yours,

Thorndowyn.

Do you mean overweight? It's not that big of a deal unless you are pretty obese. There is a health questionnaire before the dive that you must answer all no's in order to participate. Chronic sinus problems, cardiac, back surgeries are some of the questions I can remember. I don't remember diabetes on the form.

If you are going to do this excursion- I'd suggest going to divessi.com and completing the education course (it's free). I did discover scuba on a cruise and didn't feel that they really give you enough info to be safe.

___ Could you be pregnant or are you attempting to become pregnant?

___ Do you regularly take prescription or nonprescription medications? (with the exception of birth control)

___ Are you over 45 years of age and have one or more of the following?

currently smoke a pipe, cigars or cigarettes

have a high cholesterol level

have a family history of heart attacks or strokes

Have you ever had or do you currently have...

___ Asthma, or wheezing with breathing, or wheezing with exercise?

___ Frequent or severe attacks of hayfever or allergy?

___ Frequent colds, sinusitis or bronchitis?

___ Any form of lung disease?

___ Pneumothorax (collapsed lung)?

___ History of chest surgery?

___ Claustrophobia or agoraphobia (fear of closed or open spaces)?

___ Behavioral health problems?

___ Epilepsy seizures, convulsions or take medications to prevent them?

___ Recurring migraine headaches or take medications to prevent them?

___ History of blackouts or fainting (fuII/partial loss of consciousness)?

___ Do you frequently suffer from motion sickness (seasick, carsick, etc)?

___ History of diving accidents or decompression sickness?

___ History of recurrent back problems?

___ History of back surgery?

___ History of diabetes?

___ History of back, arm or leg problems following surgery, injury or fracture?

___ Inability to perform moderate exercise (example: walking one mile within 12 minutes)?

___ History of high blood pressure or take medication to control blood pressure?

___ History of any heart disease?

___ History of heart attacks?

___ Angina or heart surgery or blood vessel surgery?

___ History of ear or sinus surgery?

___ History of ear disease, hearing loss or problems with balance?

___ History of problems equalizing (popping) ears with airplane or mountain travel?

___ History of bleeding or Other blood disorders?

___ History of any type of hernia?

___ History of ulcers or ulcer surgery?

___ History of colostomy?

___ History of drug or alcohol abuse?

Can be found at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=21641596

I'm 48 a big guy in good health I dove in Cozumel last week diving can require a fair amount of swimming endurance couple this with a bit of anxiety "breathing on a regulator" and things can get a little hairy.

Not impossible just takes some getting used to. You have to remember when you dive you are compressing your body, your circulatory system etc. "hence the high blood pressure caution and or circulatory system cautions. Check with your Doc he or she will know exactly if your healthy enough, hopefully you get the thumbs up its a blast. Pick a recommended dive shop don't be embarassed tell them your concerns they will put you at ease and ensure its great fun. If you have anymore questions contact me on this board I'd be glad to help. :)

I am going on 50, have hypertension and diabetes (contr olled by medication), and I am a "fat butt nitrogen sponge".I don't think Aqua Lung is going to hire me to model new gear anytime soon.I think NOTHING of doing a 150 feet or more solo dive most every weekend.My doctor is a diver and has cleared me but he does think solo technical diving is "nuts".So, no you don't have to be a 22 year old Navy Seal to enjoy diving!

Archived