Help me to understand what is going on?

Sailkeywest

So I was checking the cruise that we are booked for Next September 18 roundtrip from Vancouver (7 days) on the Zuiderdam for Alaska Inside Passage. I checked on the cruise from work to see what rooms were available and I could still check on specific room numbers.

However, I saw a new cruise pop up under my cruise that basically extended the cruise that I am scheduled for by 3 days. This cruise extends the end of my cruise in Vancouver, taking people to San Diego. I guess it is for repositioning since my cruise is the last of the season in Alaska.

The thing is, that all the V cabins are now marked closed, and just a few days ago, nearly all of them were available and open. I know this because I was checking all the specific room numbers to see how many people were booked for port versus starboard. :P

Now when I try to check my category (SC), it says "guarantee" and will not let you choose a specific cabin number.

Can anyone explain to me what is going on? As in why are all of the cabins suddenly closed and I cannot choose a specific cabin number to book and only can book guarantees?

I have reserved 5090, and am concerned that if they have someone that wants to book my cabin for the full 10 days as opposed to my 7 days, would they pull the "we have the right to upgrade your cabin?" Moving to an SA from my SC would not really be an upgrade to me.

Thank you for any insight. :) (It is late here and I can't call HAL atm, I work very long hours till late in the ER)

I checked the 7 day cruise and the V's are available, but when checking for the 10 day (3 days extended from my cruise) they are all marked closed. :s

And now for the 10 days cruise, the v's are marked open again :s fluke? glitch? But why are they only letting me book a guarantee for a category rather than a specific cabin?

Because HAL has decided they only want to book GTYs for whatever reason. If you have booked a specific cabin and are concerned about getting moved from it, then have your booking marked with 'no upgrade' and HAL will not move you. Happy Sailing!

Archived