Jewel -Western question

lltrump

I will be sailing on the Jewel 2/6. I am hoping that someone can tell me whether the ship is on local time in Grand Cayman and what time the last tender leaves the dock for the ship.

Also, we want to make reservations for either Chops or Portofino, has anyone been to both on the Jewel, and which would be your prefence ?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I am also sailing on the Jewel on 2/6, and am interested in the answer to your question.

I am also curious about how many "formal" nights there will be on our cruise. Each time I ask TA or RCI, I get a different answer. Has anyone been on a 6-dy Jewel sailing that can give us some insight?

Thanks.

My wife and I were on the Jewel Nov 6 sailing. The time changed for Cozumel and Costa Mya, but you change back when you go to Caymen. I do know that they talked about not changing the time the next time but they still may do it. It is a great ship and we did not do the other dinning options.

was on the jewel 12/26 did the western carib. it was the best vaca of our lives. the ship is gorgeous and lives up to her name. during the 7 nights...we ate in the dining room twice, the windjammer every breakfast, some lunches, 2 dinners and many snacks. we ate at portofinos twice and chops once.

the food at portofinos was about as good as the best meals we've eaten ANYWHERE. we were not as thrilled with chops. i am envious that you're going. we booked our next cruise while still on board. you'll have a great time.

majesty '03

jewel '04

serenade '05

I am also sailing on the Jewel March 6, 2005. This is the 6 night cruise and I was also wondering how many formal nights. This ship alternates between 6 and 8 night cruises. I get no response from RCCL.

BJ, Goodml, and cruzobsessed - Thanks for the info. I booked an excursion with Capt. Bryan in GC and just wanted to be sure we would be back to the dock on time. As long as the ship time is the same as island time we will be OK. I was on the Radiance two years ago, I loved it, I'm sure that the Jewel will also be great. Was on the Voyager last year and didn't like it nearly as much as the Radiance.

I am also sailing on the Jewel March 6, 2005. This is the 6 night cruise and I was also wondering how many formal nights. This ship alternates between 6 and 8 night cruises. I get no response from RCCL.

Did the 6 night Dec 12. It was definitely two and it was Monday and Thursday.

We were on the Jewel of the Seas last June for the British Isles and Norwegian Fjords. We ate at Chops a couple of times and loved it. The veal chop and the prime rib are outstanding. We did not go to Portofinos on this cruise, but did when we were on the Navigator. We also enjoyed that experience, and would highly recommend both.

On our website at www.thepreismans.com you can view lots of interior pictures of the ship. The review of our ports of call won't do you much good in the Caribbean, but if you will scroll all the way down to the very end of the review you will find the Chops menu and the menu for the main dining room.

Hope this helps,

We too will be sailing on Jewel on 2/6. I'm getting so excited.

Typically, "ship time" always says on the time zone from the port of embarkation. I am surprised to hear that the ship would ever change times.

However, if you booked your excursion with RCCL, don't worry...you will be back in time.

I am also sailing on March 6. I cannot wait. This will be my first radiance class ship. I have sailed on all of the voyager class. I am glad that there are 2 formal nights. I thought there was only one. I too would love to get the compass for the western itinerary. We are also doing stingray city with Nativeway . I used them 2 years ago and they were great. Grand Caymen is my favorite island. Well it won't be long now. Hope everyone has a great trip.

Sue

Cruzingduo - I booked the catamaran snorkeling and stingray trip with Capt. Bryan - afternoon trip - I think the times are around 1-4. This can be booked through http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/Excursions.htm. Nativeways is another company that you can book the same type of excursion, they do not have a catamaran. I booked with nativeways last year - it was OK, but I saw the catamaran and decided I would book it this time. Other operators are Sotos and Capt. Marvin (there are also many others)

I booked my excursion idependently as I usually do, I save money and there are usually smaller groups than on the RCCL excursions. The only concern I had was the time issue and that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Cruisingduo, You need to email them at Nativway@Candw.ky. Let them know what date you are looking for and they will give you the times they have. I believe we are on the 12:00 boat. They usually have about 10-15 people per boat. They have been doing this for years and if you go on the boards for the ports you will find alot of people saying great things about them. I believe it is 25.00 a person which is cheaper than the cruise lines tour. They will also take you snorkling after sting ray city for a while. If you have any more questions let me know. Maybe I will see you on the boat to stingray city.

Sue

Thank you for the info, my DH and I don't swim but really want to see the rays. We'd prefer doing them in the morning and shop in the afternoon. Must save time for shopping :)

I'll check out both sites & I hope to meet you cocoabeana on the 3-6 sailing. Did you sign up for the meet n mingle with cruise critic? I could not find a Roll Call thread for 3-6 so I started one and got no replies. Wonder where everyone is.

According to the rccl website we won't arrive in Grand Caymen until 10.00. That is why we are going at noon. They will meet us off the ship at 11:15. That way we won't have to try and beat the rush of people to get tendered. I also looked for a meet and mingle and did not see one. I'm glad you started one. The only thing is that I usually forget about them or are doing something else when we are suppose to meet. Its hard to commit to them. Well good luck..

P.S. I save my shopping for Cozumel. Grand Caymen is a little pricey.

Sue

cocoabeana,

thanks for the info. I didn't realize that we don't arrive till 10 am. I just put a post out there asking if most cruises on the JOS have been able to dock (via tender I mean) into GC. I read a few places that weather conditions prevented them from stopping in GC. I was there many years ago (25) and my DH has not been to GC. I really want him to see how beautiful it is.

Re: shopping, do you have any pointers? What is better in Cozemel? Jewelry?

I have not done my ho,ework cheking out these ports! I better get moving or I'll be there and not know what to do. Do you know anything about Costa Maya?

What deck are you on? Late or early seating? How many traveling?

Cruzingduo I am traveling with my significant other, my daugher age 18 and 3 of her friends. She is on spring break then. I have been to Grand Caymen twice. the first time we just went to 7 mile beach and shopped. the last time we went to stingray city. It was a blast. I am not much of a swimmer but the water was only above my waist. It was a great experience. My daughter also did it so she can't wait to bring her friends. We are late seating.

Shopping in Cozumel is consideted the western caribbean St. Thomas. The jewelry is great as is the Khalua. It is only 9.00 for a large bottle. Also they have pure vanilla extract. I like to pick that up also just to have. The shopping in cozumel is great. It is alot like St. Thomas. Grand Caymen doesn't have as many places and they tend to be more expensive.

I have never been to costa Maya. It sounds ok but I will probably just get off the ship and go to the local shops for a while. I so enjoy being on the ship when it is in port. The pool is practically empty and so quiet.

My father lived in Key west. (he just passed away on Dec. 2). So I am very familiar with it. We went there every year for christmas. I am looking forward to going there also. Well if you have any more questions just let me know. FYO- the only time they don't tender in Grand Caymen is when the waves are very rough. Luckily I havent had that problem. It is my favorite island.

Sue

cocoabena,

thanks for the info. We (DH) and I will be on the 2-26 sailing and decided to do a back to back (our first) and stay for the 3-6 sailing as well. We are so pleased to be in the same room, so no packing between cruises!

I was to GC many yrs ago and went to "hell" and did the beach. My DH has not been there. We want to do a stingray trip. I also went to Cozemul but don't even remember what I did. Costa Maya is a new place for me. I found this review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=50841

I am sorry about your Dad. Would you suggest something special to do in Key West other than the shops and Duval ST? We spent a week there about 10 years ago at the Galleon Resort next door to the Hyatt and we really loved Key West. But as I recall, it happening mostly in the evenings.

I tried to register for a M&M for 3-6 but the site says that 3-6 is an invalid sailing date. Have you tried it?

We also have late seating.

Hey Cruzingduo, I didn't try to register for the meet and mingle. I feel guilty if I don't make it. There really isn't much more to do in Key west except walk around or go to the beach. My daughter has gone hang gliding there. I just love Duval street. I never get sick of it. I am going down 5 days early to spend in Key west before the cruise to visit my step mother. I think she can use the company for a while she is lonely. I don't fly anyway so I take the train by myself and everyone else will fly down. I'll meet them in Fort Lauderdale. We usually drive to Key west when we go down for Christmas. 33 hours. its a haul.

I am jealous of your back to back. I love cruising so much. I hope to at least try a 10 or 11 night sometime soon. I try to go every year since I hit 40. I am obsessed. Now my daughter is too this will be her third.

Well I am counting the days. You get to leave earlier I am envious. Talk to you soon

Sue

Archived