Sailed on Magic Recently? Flu Prevention...

Bazel

Have you recently sailed on the Magic? I would be curious to know your perception of the steps being taken to prevent the spread of flu/colds.

I know in general ships have learned a lot in dealing with germs due to Norovirus outbreaks - but I am wondering if anyone feels like there are increased steps being taken?

Our last cruise was in April last year and there was no inquiry as to our health prior to boarding. Three years ago prior to a Mex Riv sailing each member of our party - including the kids (teen age) had to sign a piece of paper saying that we were not currently ill nor had had any sign of flu like symptoms in the last couple of days.

Just curious...

Bz

DCL has always asked us during the check in process if we have been sick in the last three days.

Crew members are present at the entrances to all of the restaurants handing out antiseptic hand wipes for you to use before entering. They've been doing that on every cruise we have taken since 2005.

We cruised The Magic 9/5-9/12. Something new were signs posted in the ladies rooms with instructions to open the door with your paper towel and dispose of in the waste basket by the door.

It seems like I noticed more wiping of hand-railings, etc.

Lise

I cruised in September and they were very consistent in handing out alcohol-soaked towelettes before every meal. In fact, they insisted that you take one; you did not have the option to refuse.

The crew was also constantly wiping down hand rails, elevator buttons, and the like.

That said, my wife still managed to leave the ship with a very bad cold which lasted for about two weeks after we returned.

I guess that sanitary wipes can't prevent airborne illnesses nor can they catch everything, if sick people are touching things faster than the crew is able to wipe it up.

I, however, did not get sick. (I think her immune system is a bit weaker than mine is.) :p

Overall I was favorably impressed with the measures being taken. I can't think of anything more they could do. Happy sailing!

I cruised in September and they were very consistent in handing out alcohol-soaked towelettes before every meal. In fact, they insisted that you take one; you did not have the option to refuse.

The crew was also constantly wiping down hand rails, elevator buttons, and the like.

That said, my wife still managed to leave the ship with a very bad cold which lasted for about two weeks after we returned.

I guess that sanitary wipes can't prevent airborne illnesses nor can they catch everything, if sick people are touching things faster than the crew is able to wipe it up.

I, however, did not get sick. (I think her immune system is a bit weaker than mine is.) :p

Overall I was favorably impressed with the measures being taken. I can't think of anything more they could do. Happy sailing!

It may be that you had already had that particular strain of cold virus. There are over 200 strains of the cold virus and you only catch each one once in your lifetime. That's why kids get colds much more than adults, they have more remaining strains from which to get sick.

Archived