Which Island is best for snorkelling?

Hello all ...

I am by no means experienced, however the few time I have had the opportunity to snorkel have been in beautiful snorkelling regions. Belize, Hanauma Bay (Oahu, HI) and Kaelakekua Bay (Big Island, HI). Belize was a letdown as a hurricaine had just ripped through previous to our cruise, so, understandably disappointing in an otherwise magnificent snorkelling region. I did also take a tour in Ocho Rios, Jamaica ... but that's my snorkelling history.

I am booked on a southern caribbean cruise in December which starts in San Juan, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Thomas and St. Croix, all foreign to me.

Can anyone recommend which Island I should not miss the snorkelling experience ... and also, any tour companies you would recommend rather than paying full price for the ship excursions??

Thanks for any replies. :rolleyes:

Hi don't know if i'll be much help as we are going to st .croix st.lucia for the first time too. Ihave done alot of information searching though. We were in st.thomas about 5 years ago and took the ferry over to trunk bay. It was okay but i think there are much better places to go . Ispoke to one tour operator thet was spoken of very highly and he is not open on sundays ,unfortunately that is when we will be there . He did recommend secret harbor. also coki beach is another popular beach .San juan not so much for snorkeling. St. croix is supposed to be good .we are looking at buck island which is listed as one of the ten best snorkeling spots . Ican't say i have ever had a bad experience though. hope this is a little help.

Hello ... and thanks for your posts.

St. Croix (Buck Island) seems to be a hot spot, as you mentioned. The marine life apparently is breath-taking, but I've read that many are disappointed with the "dead reef", as they call it .... having withstood much damage over the years from hurricaines, sunscreen, etc.

Do you know what they mean when they refer to Buck Island as having a "underwater trail"? On some tour sites, it is stated that it is an "underwater guided tour".

Thanks again ... :)

Hello ... and thanks for your posts.

St. Croix (Buck Island) seems to be a hot spot, as you mentioned. The marine life apparently is breath-taking, but I've read that many are disappointed with the "dead reef", as they call it .... having withstood much damage over the years from hurricaines, sunscreen, etc.

Do you know what they mean when they refer to Buck Island as having a "underwater trail"? On some tour sites, it is stated that it is an "underwater guided tour".

Thanks again ... :)

Hi ,our first snorkel was at trunk bay in st .john, i thought the water was a little murky but it could have been a bad day and or my first time nervousness. that is an underwater trail. Ihave read great reviews about it too so maybe we justhad a bad day and my husband remembers it being nicer than i do.

Trunk Bay on St John's also has a marked underwater trail. When we were on St John's, we found the water to be rather murky as well, but we were in rather shallow water and there had been a recent storm, both of which can affect the water clarity, as the sand gets churned up more easily than when you are in deeper water.

Archived