San Pedro??

CaribQween

Can anyone that has been to San Pedro tell us a little bit about it compared to Belize City? We are going to be taking a fly/dive excursion there and we'll have time to walk around the town and check things out between dives. We have read so many posts about not going out on your own in Belize (not outside of the Tourist Village area) and we wonder if it is a little different for San Pedro because it isn't at the cruise port area. We've seen some great pictures in posts of people having lunch and shopping and we're really very interested in spending some time there.

Can anyone that has been to San Pedro tell us a little bit about it compared to Belize City? We are going to be taking a fly/dive excursion there and we'll have time to walk around the town and check things out between dives. We have read so many posts about not going out on your own in Belize (not outside of the Tourist Village area) and we wonder if it is a little different for San Pedro because it isn't at the cruise port area. We've seen some great pictures in posts of people having lunch and shopping and we're really very interested in spending some time there.

Michele,

I have never sailed into Belize, so I can't tell you much about the dock area, but I have spent months at a time on Ambergris Caye and go to San Pedro a couple of times a week. There is nothing scary about San Pedro. It is a very fun town. I am not sure I would be a drinking 22 year old alone at 3 AM, but I don't think that is particularly what you were considering. Great food, great bars and just fun people, locals expats, and tourists.

Enjoy your visit.

Janice

Michele,

I have never sailed into Belize, so I can't tell you much about the dock area, but I have spent months at a time on Ambergris Caye and go to San Pedro a couple of times a week. There is nothing scary about San Pedro. It is a very fun town. I am not sure I would be a drinking 22 year old alone at 3 AM, but I don't think that is particularly what you were considering. Great food, great bars and just fun people, locals expats, and tourists.

Enjoy your visit.

Janice

Janice,

Thank you!! And you're right, I'm not looking to hang out alone at 3 AM. And unfortunately I'm not 22 even though I'm not sure I'd want to go back to then either ;). I just really love walking around the towns, but we're going to be diving so much this cruise that we're having a little trouble fitting everything in to each day (if you know what I mean). So with this excursion, it gives us both diving and the chance to hang out in the town and do some shopping and eating of some great food. I've seen a few pictures of people eating at restraurants right there near the beach and the food looks sooo good. Yummy!! And, I sort of like to shop!!:D

I have another question for you, too. It's actually for some other people that have a thread out called "Belize BLUE HOLE". They are looking for an excursion/tour that would take them to, of course, the Blue Hole. They have figured out how to get to Ambergris Caye pretty easily by flight from the municipal airport, but they can't find someone that can take them on a flight over the Blue Hole, or possibly a boat ride through it and maybe even to do some diving or snorkeling around there. At a minimum, they are looking to just see it in person. By any chance do you have any ideas of who they could contact for something like this? They've done a lot of research and can't find anything that will work out for them. I believe they would be eternally grateful if you could give them any ideas. I hope you don't mind, but I told them you might be a good source and that I'd hop over here and ask you about it :o :D.

CaribQueen, we are also looking for info on san pedro, plus we're on the legend one week before your cruise. can you tell me what company you're booking your fly/dive excursion with? we're trying to find out how to get there safely by plane & back. no diving, just sightseeing, etc.

CaribQueen, we are also looking for info on san pedro, plus we're on the legend one week before your cruise. can you tell me what company you're booking your fly/dive excursion with? we're trying to find out how to get there safely by plane & back. no diving, just sightseeing, etc.

Sure, we're using www.shoretrips.com. We're taking the fly/dive trip, but they also offer just a roundtrip excursion to Ambergris Caye (San Pedro). Over on the Scuba and Snorkeling board there is a whole thread concerning taking the trip over to Ambergris Caye. A poster named DiverEarl also explains the best way to do the whole trip on your own if you want to do it in a slightly cheaper manner. Everyone says that there is really plenty of time to do the trip during the timeframe that we're in port. The shoretrips.com website shows several different times you can start the excursion and what time it will get you back to the pier for each. DiverEarl also posts a link to some pictures he has of a past trip to Ambergris Caye with some of shopping and having lunch in San Pedro. He also points out that if you do the excursion totally on your own, you need to make sure to go to the correct airport because there are two to choose from. Good Luck~Maybe we'll pass each other getting on and off the Legend :).

Archived