Buck Island or Cane Bay?

cruisingforsix

We are going to be in St.Croix in Jan. and are wondering where is the best place to snorkel? Iread that Buck Island is one of the ten best places to snorkel ,but read some unfavorable reviews.This is our first time in St. Croix so we are trying to find the best places. We also like a not to crowded tour, not that we don't like people but when snorkeling prefer to see the sea life to body parts.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are average swimmers and just want to see some average coral and sealife then Buck Island can be nice but it is tourist city and the sad thing is the coral has been damaged greatly by past hurricanes. My husband lived in ST. Croix for 2 years as scuba instructor long time ago and we go back about everyo other year. We went to Buck Island two years ago and it was very sad for my husband, too much dead coral. Go to Cane Bay, off the beach right across from the Cane Bay dive shop, walk down the boat ramp and head straight out to the buoy and you can snorkel along the wall where divers go--you will see some great stuff. You just need to be good swimmers as occassionally there are some waves and current but well worth it. It's tougher going out then back in, just ride the waves back in. Have fun.

are there any suppliers at Cane Bay (eg Cane Bay Dive Shop) who will take you out for a snorkel? I realize you can do it from shore but it seems a long way out and I wouldn't mind someone keeping an eye on me since I may be snorkelling alone.

If you are average swimmers and just want to see some average coral and sealife then Buck Island can be nice but it is tourist city and the sad thing is the coral has been damaged greatly by past hurricanes. My husband lived in ST. Croix for 2 years as scuba instructor long time ago and we go back about everyo other year. We went to Buck Island two years ago and it was very sad for my husband, too much dead coral. Go to Cane Bay, off the beach right across from the Cane Bay dive shop, walk down the boat ramp and head straight out to the buoy and you can snorkel along the wall where divers go--you will see some great stuff. You just need to be good swimmers as occassionally there are some waves and current but well worth it. It's tougher going out then back in, just ride the waves back in. Have fun.

Thanks for the information, we did just book a tour for buck island but i'm sure i have enough time to change it without a problem. Ihave read so many conflicting reviews about buck island making it the last place i have booked a tour with. now i'm thinking of doing half day tours at both places to make sure we see everything.

Archived